• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Elite Four and Champion + Cynthia

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
Is it just me, or were the Elite 4 and Champion so much easier than before? I only used two Pokemon for the Elite Four, and they were Espeon and Lucario ( both at 58, finished at 60 ) and for the champion, my Lucario, Lapras and Serperior ( Frenzy Plant ) completely annihilated them.

Afterwards, I went to Undella Town and challenged Hugh and Cynthia and they were both a piece of cake despite how higher leveled they were. I think I was lucky though... Garchomp's dragon rush missed against Flygon who used dragon claw and landed a critical hit.

I just thought they were way too easy than before in White/Black.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I don't really think they were easier,I think they were about the same. I will say that N and Ghestis were a bit harder than Iris. I used level 100s from my White 1 version,so couldn't really tell. Honestly the Elite for has never really been that hard if you know what your doing.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
The E4 stopped being a challenge when they started having 4 pokemon the first battle..... Now more seriously, I dont think Cynthia's battle truly counts since your level can vary depending on the time you met her. But i believe shes about the same. I've seen vids of her lucario alone wrecking entire teams. Imo she shouldnt have picked up eelektross but thats beside the point. Anyway, i'll have to battle her again myself to be sure

Fuyuki~

Banned
Years
Elite Four was much easier on all 3 of my playthroughs, and Cynthia was a breeze at level 65... They seemed easier but I have no real idea why. Iris has a better team than N, Ghetsis, and Alder in my opinion but I always had an easy time on her...

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
The E4 was a piece of cake.I had a little trouble with Iris' Hydreigon but it was easy after that.I haven't battled Cynthia in B2/W2 but only her Spiritomb was a problem for me in B/W.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
I didn't notice since I always tend to over-level my Pokemon even before the Elite 4. I had some 70~90's before the 8th Gym so just one Pokemon with Ethers/Elixirs will suffice (usually my starter). I haven't battled Cynthia yet, but I think the (first batch) E4 is easy in B2W2 compared to the BW. However, the second batch did knock out one of my Pokemon.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I feel like the Lucky Egg just lets you fly through the game. I mean seriously, with double the exp than I would've gotten before, my Pokemon could be at much lower levels had I not used the Egg. So I feel like by the time I do face the important trainers, it's not too much of a challenge.

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
I'm willing to bet the only reason everyone finds the Elite Four and Iris a lot easier than before is because of there being so many different Pokemon to chose from now, as compared to Black/White. People were able to build better teams, which helped with battles they already knew were coming.

Cynthia, pretty much the same thing. Course.. dat Lucario likes to mess everything up when it wants to.

Years
I never noticed this until watching a YouTube video, there is more variety of Pokemon in this game, therefore allowing players to build better teams for countering them.

With a Lucario, you can essentially sweep some of their teams easily. Not to mention the Elite Four's teams haven't changed at all between B/W and B2/W2, except for Shauntal replacing her Jellicent with a Drifblim.

If you're using a Scrafty, you can take out 3 of the Elite Four with super-effective hits.

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2015
They were harder for me, but I'm weak to fighting with my team, and not too good with dragon types. If I'd balanced it out better, it would have been easier.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
hahahah. Iris almost sweeped my team with her Haxorus because I was dumb and gave her time to set up more than on Dragon Dance. However, for the most part I didn't have trouble with the Elite Four. If anything I had a easier time than in White because my Pokemon were of a higher level and was more equipped to take on the Elite Four.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
They where easy for me, but I had a well balanced team and a pokemon who knew ice beam.

ArcanaFlaera

Guard of the Generation
Years
Glad to know I'm not the only found who found them easy. A good fighting type can counter most of the Elite Four. I also had dark pulse and ice punch on my Lucario, which helped, but aura sphere was definately the champion. My Lapras knew psychic for Marshall was easy as long as I was faster, which I was.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I didnt have a fighting pokemon and I still beat them easily. I am not complaining htough.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
I haven't battled Cynthia yet, but I actually found Iris quite difficult D: idk why, maybe I had the wrong strategy, but yeah. The rest of the E4 were ridiculously easy, though.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
A well-trained Leavanny has always been able to really dominate the Elite Four. STAB X-Scissor with decent Attack can really mess with Grimsley and Caitlin, and access to Shadow Claw hurts Shauntal.

So, I always thought that this generation's Elite Four were pretty lacking. They were really easy for me in both BW and BW2. But beating the Elite Four and becoming the champion isn't really the focus on either games, which may explain why.

I remember having a hell of a time with the Elite Four in RBY and GSC when I was younger and although that may be from being younger and not really knowing what I was doing, I still think they're much stronger than this generation's :p

Back