• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Symbolism

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
O hai derr.

I'm in need of a little help, and I was wondering if the friendly people at the Writers Lounge would be able to grant it to me. I hope this is in the right place, but I'll just go ahead and post it anyways.

I've began yet another fanfic, but I'm having a little trouble with choosing people's Pokemon.
I want to refrain from picking any random one, and focus on the Pokemon having a symbolic relation towards their trainers.

I'm in need of Pokemon (of any evolution stage) that look, feel, or seem Isolated, Intimidating, Intelligent, Naive, Innocent, Loyal, Confident, Ugly, Cocky, Resentful, Co-dependent, Reliable, Diligent, Positive, Demonic and lastly one that seems Mysterious.

...Wow, that seems like a lot. I'm surging through sprites and information on Pokemon regarding these virtues, but I'd love to hear your opinions on which Pokemon are what.

Just a little guideline: I don't want to include legendaries and would prefer Pokemon that can be found in the Heonn region (where I lay my scene). The latter is not necessary.

Thanks in advance, Impo :D

What I have so far:

372.png
Shelgon, the Isolated Pokemon. When I first think of isolation I think of someone being confined, and the Pokemon that represent this best are the ones that are in cocoons. I wasn't keen on using the bug types like Metapod and Kakuna, so I vouched for a Shelgon. Relaying on this decision I think it fits its role perfectly.

I have myself a Pokemon confined to an iron-hard shell which symbolizes his trainers effort to shut himself off from people for reasons I'm not revealing. The best thing about choosing this Pokemon is that it allows for a diverse plot development in which its trainer breaks through his shell and gains a personality in which he enjoys socializing and becomes a more better, powerful person. This is when Shelgon will evolve into a Salamence, reinforcing the concept of "breaking out of the shell". That is something that the bug types did not offer, so Shelgon is perfect.

282.png
Gardevoir, the Loyal Pokemon. I wanted to use Gardevoir even if it didn't resemble anything (I have a soft spot for them). Luckily, it ties in well with Loyalty. Gardevoir is said to be a Pokemon extremely loyal, and it is well known for being so loyal it will even create a miniature black hole just to keep them from harm. The emphasis is on a character in my fic which cares deeply for his friends and others, despite not always showing it.

Last edited:

Nox Masque

Faceless Smile...
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2011
Ok... I'll do what I can here, but please keep in mind that everyone has a different interpretation of symbols, so you may or may not agree with mine:

Demonic: This leaped out at me, because one of my favourites- Houndoom- is very demonic indeed. I mean, it has horns and a face very similiar to your traditional ram's skull, and it's colouration's very evil looking too. In addition, it's burns are said to never heal and always hurt, and it's howls cause fear in other Pokemon, both traits that are often seen as evil, although it can't be found in Hoenn. However, might I also suggest Sableye? I only mention it because, in Colosseum, when taking damage it smiles a very toothy grin, one that I find very demonic indeed.

Intelligent: Alakazam and it's line must be considered for this role. It's Pokedex entry states it has an IQ of 5000, exceeded only by that of the genetically altered, and legendary, Mewtwo.

Intimidating: Naturally this had to be a Pokemon with the ability Intimidate. So, at first I thought of Salamence, but as you already have Shelgon, it seems like it would be better to have a separate family to one you already have, so what about Gyarados? I'm biased here because it's just a reasonably epic Pokemon all around.

Naive: I'm going to go for Torchic, because it's always seemed a bit childlike and playful to me, and in the anime it was very immature and childish, but not actually unkind. It also always seemed to be very vulnerable to the world but not realising it about itself, until it evolved.

Innocent: Togepi. Need I say more? It's a baby Pokemon, fairly cute, and it toddles around endearingly. It's portrayal in the anime made it seem very innocent and as a Pokemon it's very weak and dependent on good training.
Again, you can't find it in Hoenn, but it's perfect for the role, I think.

Confident: Pidgeot. It's an eagle/pigeon thing, and pigeons, though they may not seem it, are amazingly confident creatures. How many other wild animals don't flee from humans upon approach? Eagles are often seen as a symbol of bravery and with confidence so often comes bravery.

Ugly: Feebas. After all.. It is, isn't it? But to expand on that, it has the capability to become beautiful, so that could be an interesting twist if you were aiming for that particular nugget of story-telling.

Cocky: Tough one. I'd have to go for a flying Pokemon, since birds often show off to impress each other and pilots, particularly "Yankee" Ones over here in the UK, are often seen as cocky, arrogant, but skillful fliers. So I'd say Staraptor, because it refuses to back down and refuses to work with others- both signs of arrogance in humans.

Resentful: Yamask, because of the pain it feels from having lost it's human form and the mask that always reminds it of what it once was. Alternatively, I'd also suggest Shedinja, because it was cast-off as a useless old shell, but returned to life, as a potentially unbeatable Pokemon.

Co-Dependant: I'd have to go with a pack animal here, such as a Lion (Luxray) or wolf (Mightyena) or essentially any other Pokemon who's Pokedex entry involves packs and groups of them living and working together.

Reliable: This is a hard one, but I'd probably say Steelix/Onix. It's tough and it's hard to faint, so it doesn't let you down in a battle, which is probably the best notion I can come up with for this one.

Diligent: Pidove, interestingly enough. It's Japanese name comes from a word for diligent, and it's Black Pokedex entry states that it tries it's best to carry it's trainers' orders through, even though it gets confused sometimes. (Yes, I do like pigeons.)

Positive: Plusle. See what I did there? Anyway, yeah, Plusle always seems to be happy and smiling, and it's always encouraging and cheering on it's teammates. Plus, it's a native of Hoenn. I am trying, you know.

Mysterious: You have a lot of options here, and it's difficult to single one out. If your character's female, I'd go for Mismagius, because it's clearly based on a witch and they tend to lean towards the mysterious and strange, do they not?

Anyway, that's my fifty pence. Good luck with your fanfic, I shall drop in on it from time to time.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Ok... I'll do what I can here, but please keep in mind that everyone has a different interpretation of symbols, so you may or may not agree with mine:

Demonic: This leaped out at me, because one of my favourites- Houndoom- is very demonic indeed. I mean, it has horns and a face very similiar to your traditional ram's skull, and it's colouration's very evil looking too. In addition, it's burns are said to never heal and always hurt, and it's howls cause fear in other Pokemon, both traits that are often seen as evil, although it can't be found in Hoenn. However, might I also suggest Sableye? I only mention it because, in Colosseum, when taking damage it smiles a very toothy grin, one that I find very demonic indeed.

Intelligent: Alakazam and it's line must be considered for this role. It's Pokedex entry states it has an IQ of 5000, exceeded only by that of the genetically altered, and legendary, Mewtwo.

Intimidating: Naturally this had to be a Pokemon with the ability Intimidate. So, at first I thought of Salamence, but as you already have Shelgon, it seems like it would be better to have a separate family to one you already have, so what about Gyarados? I'm biased here because it's just a reasonably epic Pokemon all around.

Naive: I'm going to go for Torchic, because it's always seemed a bit childlike and playful to me, and in the anime it was very immature and childish, but not actually unkind. It also always seemed to be very vulnerable to the world but not realising it about itself, until it evolved.

Innocent: Togepi. Need I say more? It's a baby Pokemon, fairly cute, and it toddles around endearingly. It's portrayal in the anime made it seem very innocent and as a Pokemon it's very weak and dependent on good training.
Again, you can't find it in Hoenn, but it's perfect for the role, I think.

Confident: Pidgeot. It's an eagle/pigeon thing, and pigeons, though they may not seem it, are amazingly confident creatures. How many other wild animals don't flee from humans upon approach? Eagles are often seen as a symbol of bravery and with confidence so often comes bravery.

Ugly: Feebas. After all.. It is, isn't it? But to expand on that, it has the capability to become beautiful, so that could be an interesting twist if you were aiming for that particular nugget of story-telling.

Cocky: Tough one. I'd have to go for a flying Pokemon, since birds often show off to impress each other and pilots, particularly "Yankee" Ones over here in the UK, are often seen as cocky, arrogant, but skillful fliers. So I'd say Staraptor, because it refuses to back down and refuses to work with others- both signs of arrogance in humans.

Resentful: Yamask, because of the pain it feels from having lost it's human form and the mask that always reminds it of what it once was. Alternatively, I'd also suggest Shedinja, because it was cast-off as a useless old shell, but returned to life, as a potentially unbeatable Pokemon.

Co-Dependant: I'd have to go with a pack animal here, such as a Lion (Luxray) or wolf (Mightyena) or essentially any other Pokemon who's Pokedex entry involves packs and groups of them living and working together.

Reliable: This is a hard one, but I'd probably say Steelix/Onix. It's tough and it's hard to faint, so it doesn't let you down in a battle, which is probably the best notion I can come up with for this one.

Diligent: Pidove, interestingly enough. It's Japanese name comes from a word for diligent, and it's Black Pokedex entry states that it tries it's best to carry it's trainers' orders through, even though it gets confused sometimes. (Yes, I do like pigeons.)

Positive: Plusle. See what I did there? Anyway, yeah, Plusle always seems to be happy and smiling, and it's always encouraging and cheering on it's teammates. Plus, it's a native of Hoenn. I am trying, you know.

Mysterious: You have a lot of options here, and it's difficult to single one out. If your character's female, I'd go for Mismagius, because it's clearly based on a witch and they tend to lean towards the mysterious and strange, do they not?

Anyway, that's my fifty pence. Good luck with your fanfic, I shall drop in on it from time to time.

Wow, those are very nice suggestions. I'll probably end up using all of them xD .
Just one though, I may switch Feebas with Purugly. Feebas is the superior choice, but I think I'd find it difficult to incorporate one into a battle.

Thanks a bunch for the help, it's greatly appreciated :3

Nox Masque

Faceless Smile...
Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2011
I also thought of Purugly, but like you said, Feebas just fitted the quota better, you know? Anyway, I look forward to reading it.

Back