• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What part annoyed you the most in R/B/Y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaoMint

☘ 小猫咪 ☘
Years
The fact that the yellow version I was playing was an old one (played it after Ruby and Sapphire) and was loving it, loving my Pokémon aaand all of a sudden the game broke. 3:
After that I simply couldn't be bothered to play any of the first gen games.

But from FR/LG I remember the victory road being a pain.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Arbok used wrap!

Lapras can't move!

Arbok's attack continues!

Lapras can't move!

Lapras can't move!

Lapras can't move!

Arbok used wrap!

Lapras can't move!

Lapras fainted!

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Oh yeah, the Wrap attack which could be deadly if the enemy pokemon has quicker speed than you.

Also, the bag issue. It was so small! TM's and Key items would fill the bag up quite easily. I'm pleased that the next gen had different areas of the bag to store your items in.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
the thing than annoyed me the most in R/B/Y was Pychic pokemon being broken and the move wrap as some other posts have said the reason why.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 2, 2022
Pretty much the whole beginning. Until the 3rd gym it's just a very big, slow grindjob. After that everything flows very nicely though.

And obviously that dark cave your supposed to use Flash for. The worst HM of all time. I think most of the time I didn't even bother getting an HM slave for it and just forced my way through the darkness. Worst thing in any Pokémon game, Jesus Christ...
So glad there is no HM Flash in gen 6.

-- Matt.
EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the bag issue. Man that was a pain in the ass. Always had to get rid of something to get something else. Did anyone ever actually use the PC to store items?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
Choosing Charmander and refusing to get a bug Pokemon in the Veridian Forest. I would have trashed the Bug Pokemon after Brock, so why bother?
If I had Charmander Brock was a pain. Same with Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow.

I also hated having to hotkey for my bike. Having to bring up the item menu every time.. Ugh!

But really the ultimate annoyance was how there were basically no options if you wanted a very strong team. You'd get the legendaries and Dragonite and they were basically stronger than every other Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2019
In yellow actually 2 things for me:
- The rock-type pokemon at higher lvl because my Pikachu only had electric attacks and only 1 average other attack which ran out of PP too fast.
- The fact that the lavender town tune never creeped me out and I even forgot it.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Omg, yes the Wrap move irritated me so many times...! >_> I once was Paralyzed AND confused too and some Ekans of a Lass (seriously, what Lass would train a "scary snake"? xD) used Wrap on my Charmeleon - "Charmeleon is Paralyzed", "Charmeleon hurts itself in its confusion!", and then the agonizing 8th attack streak of Wrap finished him of... :(

The lame sprites kinda bugged me the most though xD They were so PIXELATED! i remember training my Magikarp for an awesome Gyarados in my team, and when it finally evolved, it was just kind of an "improved" Magikarp sprite, the only thing that was different where the 3 horns Gyarados has attached to it... The back sprites of Magikarp and Gyarados looked alot like... just if you were still having a Magikarp :(
Also, alot of other Pokemon had very bad sprites too. Anyone remembers Koffing for example from R/B? I also got very irritated with the back sprite from Charmeleon, looks waaaay to chubby imo >_> Blastoise was way too round and don't get even started on the sprite of Moltres... terrible xD (but still kinda fun too though)

Also have had alot of annoying memories about Rock Tunnel. That was always a thing I hated doing in every new Save File xD I knew I had to do the "Rock Tunnel" again later in the game >_> always went through it without Flash, and I did it so many times in the dark that I could determine based upon the talking some trainers near the exit do when you battle them, if I was already almost out of that cave or not xD First time I ever played Blue it took me 2 hrs or so to get through it without Flash! 'cause I didn't know which way to go ofcourse... xD

damientheomen3

Muffintop, Esq.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Rock Tunnel. I hate tunnels and caves in pokemon games in general, which is part of why G/S/C are my favorite games.

STEELDRAGON*

A Very Too Cool For School Charizard :)
Years
There were a lot of things that made me want to throw my gameboy out the window.
1.Going through rock tunnel without flash, and having zubat appear every few seconds
2.Caves in general
3.getting in trainer battles with a almost fainted pokemon(basically, getting mugged)
4.digglet cave
5.having your rival pick the pokemon that your weak to.
6.finding pikachu in viridian forest

Last edited:

KirbyX

Veteran Pokemon Master
Years
I see most of us think similarly, beating Brock was a challenge the first time but on later playthroughs I caught a Mankey. Mankey's Low Kick KO's Brocks Onix hardcore, the game describes Low Kick as a low tripping kick that inflicts more damage on a heavier foes, such as Onix and Snorlax.
The game does seem to go terribly slow until after Vermillion City.
Rock Tunnel was so annoying as was Mt. Moon to a lesser extent, the constant trainer battle's and Zubat attacks.
The music in Lavender Town and Pokemon Tower was creepy after awhile.
Not having enough space in the bag was annoying, But The Most Annoying Of All Was Wrap, I lost to many easily winnable matches on stadium to a Tentacruel or other pokemon using wrap, it takes ten minutes to KO a Snorlax and Dragonite with that attack and it never ends RRRRR, it happened just the other day when I fired the N64
up and took on the Elite 4 Round 2, it made me so mad RRRRRRR. Thank god Fire Red, Leaf Green and Emerald are better off.

TheGuitahHeroe

i make songs with a computer
Years
On multiple occasions I wanted to punch Blue in the groin as hard as I could

("I've already caught 40 kinds, pal!")

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
Silph Co. I was poisoned or paralyzed every other battle and the Card Key was guarded by a Rocket with an Arbok. That stupid Arbok always paralyzed me with Glare whenever I fought it.

The Cinnabar Mansion was pretty bad, too. Pokemon encounters inside a building. At least with Lavender Tower, there were only a few different Pokemon that couldn't do much to you in terms of status conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back