• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Kenbi Region

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Welcome to the Kenbi Region.

Based off the region name meaning "Combining two" in Japanese, I have decided to create gym leaders with dual/type specialties

THE DEX
(Haven't inserted names yet, nor will this be the order of the finished product)

dexxx.png

NAMES IN ORDER
(Eggnite, Moskit, Luvlud, Veiniac, Fleaf, Stemite, Fortunit, Pippinip, Vipening, Forbitten, Tweatwave, Glowhawk, Stardinal, Reefish, Mockbottom, Clamoflauge, Raftail, Skailboat, Stormera)

GYM LEADERS

trainerre.png

EDEN
Spoiler:

APOLLO
Spoiler:

BOLT

Spoiler:

VIVIAN & GRIM

Spoiler:

DO NOT STEAL!! THANKS ;)
Credit to:
Doran-Dragon from DA for the type symbols.
Bigrika for the Pokedex Template
(http://bigrika.deviantart.com/art/Spritedex-Template-326441969)

Last edited:
Years
edenx.png

I think this one looks pretty good. The concept is... different lol. But the arm on the right looks like it's missing part of the shoulder/upper arm. I get that it's the angle, but maybe, since there are no clothes or other indicators as to the angle, you could adjust the position slightly. Not that it's unclear, because it's not, but just looking closely at it makes me think it's not perfect.

forbitten.png

I like the colors and the design. It's bright, which is unexpected given the basis. Have you tried making the body more... coil-y? It's got a kind of 2D feel since the head it looking sideways and the body is making a "U" shape.

forbittenevo.png

Reminds me of The Nightmare Before Christmas. I dunno. The stripes remind me of candy, I think, like candy canes. Which then makes me think of candy apples. The apples are very glossy looking. I kind of like that, but I also (and this is my personal preference) like when the evolutions have a little bit of a different color palette on the middle of a 3-stage evolution (like Charmeleon) since it gives the middle more of its own identity.

apolloh.png

It's a great design overall, and I love the pose with him holding the helmet, but those feet should look flatter since we're looking at them from the side, not the top. Also, the white patches in the waist area are more prominent than the grey parts in the chest area so to me they almost give the impression of a very long torso above the waist. I dunno if that's just me though. I think a little more work could be done on the orange bands around the arms, or rather the arm that's holding the pokeball. It tapers to a point at the top, but gets rounded at the bottom and I think it would be more of the other way around. Or something. I'm just getting a strange perspective on those shoulders.

stardinal.png
stardinalevo.png

I like these a lot overall. Loving the "come at me bro" pose for the little one the most. They're a bit similar, which I said isn't my preference, but still good. I think there's another problem with the angle of the feet though. Since they're curved downward it kind of makes them look like they're hopping.

boltwt.png

I'm not great at anatomy, but I think there's something a bit off in the arms on this one. There's also a lot of detail going on in the head/face area and it looks a little cluttered at the moment, I think.

I like the concepts you've got a lot. I hope you get to making more.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Wow Scarf; a sprite-by-sprite analysis!

These suggestions definitely help.
I think that Forbitten needs to have more of that Tim Burton vibe as you put it well.
Also, A simple variation in color could help differentiate the evo lines as you mentioned.

Danaxe, I am not sure what you are trying to convey in your post :/

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
:bandit::bandit:i meant that if they were real, in a game that is 3+

i worry for the people who play it, what if it is put in a tv show

then it would be 3+

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

i got myself confused

:bandit:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
If by 3+ you mean children ages 3 and up, then I would say that pokemon is not even geared toward that age group at all, and furthermore, my sprite is not any more revealing than many official sprites. Not to mention, if I am even able to start development in the future, I would be catering to an older demographic than Gamefreak does. It's just an irrelevant comment. I am only looking for constructive comments only.
Spoiler:

Anyways...
Here are some changes thanks to some pointers by Scarf:
forbittenevo.png

I am thinking of doing a green apple for the second evo as well.​

Last edited:
Years
forbittenevo.png

I am thinking of doing a green apple for the second evo as well.​
Oh! That is a nice pose on #3. (Not too large a sprite, I hope, for whatever system you'd eventually be developing for.) Personally, I think the green/purple works better than purple/yellow if the head is also going to be green, but it's certainly not bad.

heyo

HEYO!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I'm really excited to see how Locomotank looks, it sounds like such a cool concept!

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
Thanks for the comments!!

Here are lots of updates, as promised.

ZeKro

http://zekrowah.deviantart.com
Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2013
WOW the fakes are awesomes.
I love them, seriously. But, in my opinion, there are too many bugs xD

I want see more!

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Wow, some of these are really good! I think I'll give criticism based more on the concepts than the spriting, since I'm no good with detecting little errors in sprites.

(It seems the sprites are all in one big image together, so I'll just use verbose descriptions, since I sort of got confused with the names.)

In particular, I found myself admiring the mermaid-like Pokemon and it's prevolution (the Slowpoke-like thing). I remember wondering how Gamefreak could possibly manage to pull off a mermaid-like Pokemon, and then after a lot of imagining, I thought there was no way Gamefreak could do it without making it look more like a Digimon. Well, I am glad to say you've pulled off a the mermaid-Pokemon very well! The design is not overly complicated, so it would not stick out as a sore thumb amongst other Pokemon. I like how you used various details from other Pokemon, such as the Snorlax-style eyes, and the Meloetta-style hair, while at the same time making the design your own and original (although, I am reminded of Milotic when I see this design). Good job! I am concerned its prevolution, while a very well designed prevolution (everything a prevolution has to be: similar to its evolutions, but not a smaller-sized clone) looks far too reminiscent of Slowpoke. Both Pokemon carry the same color scheme, are both Water types, and have the same shape (although the Slowpoke-like Pokemon actually resembles a Bidoof more...). While we're at it, we have to consider: how would the mermaid-like Pokemon differ from Milotic? I believe one of the important aspects of being a Fakemon creator is not creating Pokemon reminiscent of others. I know Gamefreak themselves often clone Pokemon (Rattata clones...) but I feel it'd be a nicer design if I wasn't comparing it to Milotic so much. Perhaps it's the similar color palette, elongated shape, lanky hair/eyebrows, or a combination thereof. Although, you shouldn't worry about it too much; both the mermaid design and its prevolution are very successful designs. I'm just nitpicking.

Another issue I found was with the Ice/Dragon types, the ones that look like ships. (Viking ships...?) First of all, it was astute to have the evolution go from raft to ship; I imagine most people would've simply done boat > ship, so kudos to you for that more clever transition. However, I would like to point out that the Ice/Dragons look a little too much like actual ships/rafts with dragons carved onto them; Pokemon generally look like they're modeled after real-world objects, not the other way around. I would suggest not having the Raft Dragon seem so perfectly geometrical and rectangular; you could still keep these wood-like protrusions in the design, but maybe not make them so flat and perfectly aligned? Another suggestion of mine, for both the Ship and Raft Dragons, is to make the flags look more natural; less like props attached to the Pokemon, and more like parts of their anatomy. Perhaps you could incorporate the flags and flagpoles as more natural-looking tails? These are just suggestions though; it's up to you what you wish to do.

One of the families I was less enthusiastic about was the Bug/Grasses; I found that the first two designs were eerily reminiscent of the Kriketot/Kriketune family (in pose, posture, and anatomy), that the third design offered nothing particularly attention-grabbing (What are the main defining features of this Pokemon? Why should this Pokemon be memorable? I don't mean to offend you, but the third Bug/Grass Pokemon looks like a generic large mantis, clad in leaves, without any "wow" factor.) and that I was reminded of the Leavanny family a little too much, in terms of color scheme. I suggest thinking of what is special about this Bug/Grass family, what differentiates it from other Bug/Grass types, and then possibly redesigning or altering these designs. Just my personal opinion, though.

Lastly, the Grass/Flying pinflower/(dandelion?) seeds are genius. Excellent connection; making these sorts of connections between real-life elements (without it being silly, like a walking toaster, and where a connection is actually present, not like "let's take x and y and randomly fuse them together") is what I believe makes great Pokemon designs. In addition, the posing of the second member, the evolution, was smart and well thought-out; the pose accentuates the large seed, without having the seed obtrusively stick out or seem like random clutter, and at the same time displays flow and movement. I have no criticisms of these designs at this time; excellent work!

I could give more criticisms of the other Pokemon designs if you'd like me to, but these are just the designs that stood out to me the most.

Last edited:
Years
Wow, you've added quite a few things since I last checked here. I love the range of colors you use on your sprites, all those pastels. It's very cohesive and everything has a clean, finished look. (Although that water/ground one with the coral-like things sticking out of its head seem to have some outline problem on the blue areas since the colors there are very similar.)

I really enjoy how you make the evolved forms more than just larger versions and give them their own designs that, while different, are clearly related.

Drimza

Open up your senses.
Years
All of your sprites look very professional. The crisp lines, natural shading, color choices and just the overall concepts of your fakemon are very cool. I also like how you have a unique style that you have when making sprites (like every spriter should have). Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing more. :)

Oh, and a question. Do you draw out your concepts and designs before you sprite or do you just "go with the flow"?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
I think this is a really cool idea. I have one question, however: do you plan to make just a Pokedex, or a full Fakemon game? Also, I want to do some sprite analysis.

Vivian and Grim (because I couldn't find that sprite alone)

Ok, what is this? The girl has no pupils in her eyes, and the boy..... does he even know how to breathe? I understand the concept, just not the design.

That's the only one I really had comments on. I really am excited to see this idea's progress.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Dunno if you update this anymore, but just stopped in to say this sprite work is awesome! It looks like authentic work from Game Freak, no joke!

If you're not doing this anymore, I'd say you should, this is great!

Back