• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever taken a break from Pokemon completely?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I remember back in like 6th grade, I was still playing Pokemon Sapphire 24/7 while my friends were busy playing Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen. I had FireRed but I got stuck with the Snorlax bit and gave up on the game, so I stuck with Sapphire and Colosseum.

Then during 7th grade, I got the Xbox 360 for Christmas along with a WWE SvR2008 game and I became more addicted with wrestling (I was a wrestling fan since 2005 but became obsessed around 2007).

Anyways, thanks to the 360, I literally stopped playing Pokemon completely. Everyone at Middle School (7th and 8th grade) were playing Diamond and Pearl and doing competitive battles. I thought that the new pokemon in Sinnoh looked dumb and I never liked it. I also didnt like the new Sinnoh anime. I stopped watching the anime sometime before Ash entered the Hoenn League tournament.

However sometime in 2010, my mother got me the Nintendo DSi and Pokemon Platinum (HG/SS were already the brand new game). Then after I played Platinum, I fell in love with Pokemon again. Then I started to rewatch the Sinnoh anime and I have been following it since. I then got Soul Silver and eventually Heart Gold, then White, White 2, X&Y, etc...

So yeah, I took about a 3 year break until I became hooked. Now I am a proud Pokemon nerd once again like I was when I was a little boy. :)

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
There was a time when I was considering quitting pokemon for good.

It was towards the end of gen 4.

I was thinking of never playing pokemon again because it bothered me so much that not all pokemon were
competitvly viable.

But I learned to accept this, for as someone pointed out to me, favorites are born of having non-favorites
& I was in a pretty competitve state of mind, despite not actually doing competitve battling, so I
decided to try to break free of my competitveness & try the new Black & White games.

& I'm glad I did.

In Black & White, they introduced the infinte use TMs, which is something I've been wanting to see for a long time &
when they revealed Mega evolution for X & Y, I couldn't be more excited because in theory, ANY pokemon could
become viable for competitve use!

Although, I'm still trying to lose my competitve edge & I'm just about there...
In ORAS, I'll start using pokemon, regardless of nature.
(Because Natures only matter in actual competitve battling.)
& since I've been working on losing my competitve edge, I have been enjoying the games more & more.

I'm happy to say I'll never actually quit playing Pokemon!

So anyways, I did take a break from pokemon completely, but it was for only a few months...
(Thank goodness!)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
The games are definitely more fun when you just catch a pokemon and battle. All of this female Eevee with perfect IVs and HA breeding is tedious and boring.

Years
i haven't played my game since a couple months now. I quit playing for a while until the new games come out. I've got a lot of school and work, and then my friends all have different games so i'm just by myself.

Years
I think from 2006 up until late 2007/early 2008, I just drifted away from Pokemon. I actually lost both my Sapphire and Gold versions (I always kept them together), and since I was well removed from both the anime and TCG, I just stopped following the franchise. It wasn't so much that I wanted to move on, but I didn't really miss it when it was gone. My cousin and I eventually found out about ROM hacking though, which led me here to PC, and I've stuck around (for the most part) ever since!

Though, as much as I hate to admit it, if it weren't for PC, I'd have probably drifted away again in the past year. I found myself struggling to get through White 2 and still haven't finished Y yet, despite getting it on release. Alpha Sapphire definitely has caught my eye though, and theories and discussions about Pokemon as a whole always interest me, so I just can't see myself staying away from it any time in the forseeable future.

Years
I kinda took a break from Pokémon around 2008 or so, because to me Diamond/Pearl had been getting stale and I was more consumed with my Xbox 360. But when Platinum came out, it got me right back into the circle, and then Heart Gold a year later was solid. To say the least, i've hardly looked at my Xbox since getting White 2.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Sometime after I got modded I started to lose interest in Pokemon (while in a Pokemon section) which is partly why I left. Though looking back I think I lost interest because I started to associate Pokemon with this site and I have generally negative feelings towards here.

I also took a break after Black/White came out. I bought Black and played through it and was very disappointed. I have a lot of mixed feelings about DPPt so when B/W sucked for me I started to think that I was growing out of Pokemon or at least that the newer stuff wasn't for me.

When a lot of information about x and y started to come out it really caught my interest which I hadn't felt since HG/SS. I really wanted to play some new form of Pokemon while waiting for the newest games to come out so I went and ordered White 2 after reading that it was much better. This was like one or two months before X/Y launched. Anyway I def enjoyed it more, but it still was really meh for me. Once I got Y I was fully back into Pokemon. I think those two games where a nice breath of fresh air.

Universe

all-consuming
Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2016
I did, actually.

I took a break from Pokemon after 3rd gen. I honestly can't remember why, but I think I went through one of those "I'm too old for Pokemon" phases. It caused me to decide to stop playing even when 4th gen came out. The thing that got me back into Pokemon was when I went over to my friend's house one day and she was playing it. I found her Diamond version really intriguing in how different it was from gen 3. So I gave up that phase entirely and bought Pearl not long after.

I'll never take a break again. I don't care about my age anymore, I'll still play Pokemon. :P It's too good to not play and watch and enjoy!

Years
I took a huge break from the pokemon fandom between Yellow and Pearl. I never played any of the GBA games. I also take breaks in between each generation. I play the games until I finish them in terms of beating the elite four. Then I gravitate to other games, go back to Pokemon for a bit but sometimes it's months between when I play.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
its hard to think of life without pokemon, I have to think to remember a time when I haven't played pokemon haha. lets see...

just recently I got away from pokemon, for about a month, when I got swallowed up in fire emblem. also before that (almost a year now) I got addicted to minecraft for a good chunk of time. then the x-y leaks started comming in and I was back on track.

I haven't deliberately gotten away from pokemon, even when my friends did, so thats a plus :P

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
8 years, I took an 8 year break. Stopped playing the games after Ruby & sapphire. Was hooked on football, already but really went over the top between 2004-2006 then after that was general teenage stuff and WWE. I got back into it 2 years ago after buying the Black & White movie and I've been hooked on the anime since!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Had to take a forced break because my DS' screen cracked and I lost it, but before that my mum gave away my Platinum...unfortunately that was the only game I had that I really liked playing, so I had no use for my DS anymore. I started playing Pokemon games a year or something after, with emulated versions of the previous GBA/GBC games.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Thankfully, I don't believe I have. Ever since I was introduced to Pokémon, I've clung to it as much as I possibly could, one way or another. I did stop playing games at one point, as well as watching the anime, but I still kept up with it by hanging around in some Pokémon forum. That's got to count for something, right? I just love this franchise, and would keep following it for as long as I can.

Years
I ended up taking a break but it wasn't really intentional, I have a tendency to cling to old consoles lol and I ended up getting both my GBA and DS quite late in comparison to when the Pokémon games for each console were released so I kinda missed the experience of playing them at the same time as everyone else BUT as I've gone through all the games now I feel like I've made up for that break haha; you can never keep me away from Pokémon for too long :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
A bunch of breaks.

I started watching the series in 1998 and stopped watching it in 2006 when the voice actors changed.
I started playing Yellow in 1998, then bought Crystal, after that I bought Sapphire and Fire Red. I played through the gyms in Yellow and Crystal but I didn't have a good team for Elite Four/Indigo Plateau so I quit playing the games and they sat for 10 years. I was never all that interested in Sapphire as I just didn't like the new Pokemon and Fire red was just a copy of Yellow so. A couple years ago I went back and finished Yellow and Crystal. Mostly I went into my Crystal Pokemon Storage system and found some pokemon, leveled up/traded them over(Dewgong/Alakazam/Feraligatr/Jynx) to Yellow and finished both games. I recently caught Lugia on Crystal finally.

I haven't been much interested in playing the games since Crystal though. I don't really like the 3d effect or the clothing options, too many gadgets for me. After they came out with the DS I stopped buying the games altogether so I never bought Gen 4.

I stopped buying the cards around 2004 as I didn't like the e-series design. I started collecting the BW series again last August after seeing a pack opening on Youtube randomly while watching a video. Mostly what got me into collecting again was the full art ex's. I'm only interested in the full art legendary pokemon, full art supporters and gen 1 pokemon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 27, 2014
I didn't consciously take a break, but for some reason I just wasn't interested in the Black II and White II generation. I was already kind of weirded out by Black and White coming after the DS entries, because it wasn't often when you saw two generations on the same handheld. But then ... Black II and White II! The 3ds was already out. I had no interest lol.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 1, 2014
After Pokémon Platinum, I sorta got sidetracked by my ps3 and NBA 2k. But as soon as I got Heartgold, I started right back up, and especially since I have a 3ds now.

Years
After Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Platinum I didn't play pokemon for nearly 3 years and I just recently got Pokemon X & Y and got back into it.

Back