• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how do you guys feel about the shinys being classed higher than legendarys?

Years
so i have seen alot of controversy over this topic and i want to know how you guys feel about the shiny vs legendary debate. i mean sure a shiny is hard to find but the pokemon itself can be common and it is possible to find more then one of the same pokemon being shiny but that being said it can take weeks to breed the shiny you want. and with legendarys theirs only one per game unless you trade then reset. so in your opinions what do you guys class as higher?

Sinjuda

Newbie Breeder
Years
I know a good chunk of people dislike using ubers so shinies in my opinion would rank higher because you can still train them. This is actually a rather good question.

Broncos

Jesus take the wheel
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 2, 2016
It's the rarity that wins the people over.
The glistening Poke a few yards in front of you, the goosebumps that you get as you click on the ultra-ball. Afraid to KO it, so instead you spam the balls with it having over 50% hp, yet, you don't care that you spend thousands on it - for at the end of the day - you want it.

Years
personally in my opinion i view it fifty fifty for example i wouldnt trade my xerneas for a shiny bidoof or pikachu. but i wouldnt trade my shiny amaura for a xerneas. i mean that being said there are alot more cooler shinys then legendary s but yeah.... know what i mean?

Years
Sinjuda said:
What Gen did shinys come into the games?(haven't played since blue)
Shiny Pokemon first appeared in Gold/Silver, so the 2nd gen. And since this looks to be talking about the value of shiny vs. legendary Pokemon within the games, I'm going to move this thread over to Pokemon Gaming Central.

MOVED.

Sinjuda

Newbie Breeder
Years
Shiny Pokemon first appeared in Gold/Silver, so the 2nd gen. And since this looks to be talking about the value of shiny vs. legendary Pokemon within the games, I'm going to move this thread over to Pokemon Gaming Central.

MOVED.

ok c: wow I didnt know shines have been around for that long @_@

Sotani

Pokemon Breeder Yuki
Years
I think a ledgendary isn't worth much if you can find it in-game without an item. Now, for pokemon like Mew that are basically impossible to get without an event item or cheats, i'd drop all my shiny pokemon for in a heart-beat (Granted it wasn't a shiny eevee or axew)

Also, shinies are only valuable if you value the pokemon. Like I mentioned, I love Eevee and Axew so their shinies are worth all the pokemon in the world to me, but for pokemon I dislike, I'd probably be willing to practically give them away.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
The kings, koff~

The kings of shiny hunting go to those that have captured one of the Electrodes (shiny) in Pokemon Silver and Gold in the Rocket base. Good luck. Also, I think shiny Pokemon are a bit more valued over the legendaries. Everyone can capture a Moltres, but not everyone it going to have a sweet-looking-totally-awesome-shiny-Stunfisk-of-DOOM! Ha! People will trade anything for a shiny Pokemon. Anything, koffi~

Years
I do think that shiny Pokemon should be valued more than legendary Pokemon. As mentioned around this thread before, it is a lot rarer to get a shiny than it is to get a legendary. In a game, you are almost certainly gonna catch a legendary Pokemon. But, you might not even see a shiny. I didn't encounter a shiny until Emerald, and then the second one in Diamond when I was purposely looking for shiny Pokemon and that took me a good few hours. Furthermore, shiny Pokemon are probably more wanted than legendaries, I mean, people waste hours looking for/breeding to get a shiny.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
The way I see it, as I believe some have already mentioned, you're pretty much guaranteed to get at least one or a few legendaries per game (or atleast have them available to catch), but shinies are not guaranteed, which makes them more special to me.

Personally, I would trade away legendaries for a shiny that I wanted in an instant.

Marionz

New to 6th Gen
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2013
I consider legendaries to be more rare than shinies.. considering one doesn't use some kind of cloning device then legendary all the way.

Only one per game. There's no more rarer to that!

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I don't think that any pokemon should be classed higher than a legendary. Although shinies are harder to find and breed, their stats and "importance" may not be as high as the legendaries. Most legendaries have stats that are higher than most pokemon.

JanickGers

Askjafehu
Years
Well, clearly they are way more difficult to get than the legendaries (even the roamers). It's simple psychology: people want what they can't have.
Don't you believe that the harder you work to get something, the more rewarding it is? Legendaries should be harder to find and harder to catch to be considered more valuable.

Back