• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you think pokemon died out?

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
Years
  • Age 35
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
I think it sorta died out because it's kind of like any craze/fad. It had its time, and then people moved on to other things.

That and it does have an incredibly kiddy appearance. That probably hindered its progression into kid's middle school/high school lives.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I think it sorta died out because it's kind of like any craze/fad. It had its time, and then people moved on to other things.

That and it does have an incredibly kiddy appearance. That probably hindered its progression into kid's middle school/high school lives.

That you can blame on the TV show. The games, competitive battling at least, is a difficult and strategic way of playing pokemon. The show gave pokemon a bad name IMO.

Years
Wow the views some people have XD

I honestly think that it is because of the schools banning the cards. I rekon that the craze was such a success because of the cards and being able to trade in school so when they eventually got banned thats why it sorta faded.

I am pretty sure that if today pokemon cards were aloud in school the craze would still be going on now. sigh.... the good old days eh><

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 28, 2009
I've never heard of Pokemon cards being banned in schools. They were never banned in my school at least.

I think the real reason the Pokemon craze died is that the kids who liked it back then grew up. Those of us who were kids when Pokemon was at its peak are now in our 20's and have real lives. Of course, there's still the hardcore geeks like me who still have an interest in Pokemon for more than just nostalgia. My friends and I who were really into Pokemon in middle school lost interest around our first year of High School because we didn't want to be complete social outcasts. Instead we focused on far less geeky activities such as playing Magic The Gathering in the library after lunch. I didn't think about Pokemon for most of high school and it's just recently that I got back into it because I remembered how fun the games were and I wanted to try out some of the new ones. That and I new I had a huge box of cards sitting around that were only increasing in collectibility, and I love collecting things.

Radikaru

moonrose
Years
  • Age 34
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 21, 2010
I haven't noticed that it died out... xD
But if it did it's probably because the fans back when it was new have grown out of it, or at least some have.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
Years
Why do you think pokemon died out? I think it was because when schools started banning cards, people stopped collecting them and thus the craze died out. Share your views :)

it died becaus eit become more and more stratiegic and since teens these days hate games were u have to think they grew away from it and went into the halo series, the most barbaric games in the world...

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
Years
How can you call a million dollar franchise that is still continuing "Dieing out?", just because I few schools ban cards ban stuff hardly takes anything away from Nintendo.

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 23, 2020
Why do you think pokemon died out? I think it was because when schools started banning cards, people stopped collecting them and thus the craze died out. Share your views :)

Haha! I remember when I was in third grade. Some middle schooler conned me out of my deck, lol.

Pokemon was a craze, like Digimon or Yugioh! it eventually falls out of the public eye. Still, it's a powerful franchise.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
Years
and went into the halo series, the most barbaric games in the world...

Hahahahaha. Halo is tame. Have you ever played Manhunt?

On a serious note, Pokemon died out? *Looks around the forum*

Seems fine to me.

And to all those saying that the anime is to blame: you're absolutely right. We wouldn't be having this problem if the anime was just based off of Pokemon Special.

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Hahahahaha. Halo is tame. Have you ever played Manhunt?

On a serious note, Pokemon died out? *Looks around the forum*

Seems fine to me.

And to all those saying that the anime is to blame: you're absolutely right. We wouldn't be having this problem if the anime was just based off of Pokemon Special.
Manhunt is a beautiful game. In a barbaric sort of way.

And yes to Pokemon Special anime. I swear there was a petition somewhere on another forum.

DarkArcz

The Cloaked Schemer
Years
Manhunt is a beautiful game. In a barbaric sort of way.

And yes to Pokemon Special anime. I swear there was a petition somewhere on another forum.

I'd prefer GTA, still has gore, but less...sickening scenes.

As for Pokemon, how can you tell it's died out? This forum has atleast 100 people at any given time a day, and near 1000 on others.

If Pokemon truly has died out, I'd say it was because of the anime. Or, to be more specific, the DUBBED anime. With it's stupid catchphrase (Gotta catch 'em all!) and kiddy themes of "friendship" and stuff(though I guess this was also in the original Jap anime). Also, who can confuse a riceball with a donut/sandwich? I don't know what 4Kids was smoking when they translated that bit...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
To the people talking about Manhunt: I'd like to second the comment about Halo and also provide Bioshock as an example. I mean, sure, Manhunt's all about snuff films, but Bioshock has you brutally killing little girls. Granted, they're demonic little girls, but the point still stands. Either way, yes, you can get a heck of a lot more gruesome than Halo.

Anyway, I'd also like to second everyone who says that Pokemon died out. It didn't die out. All the fans just flocked to boards like these, rather than populate the Internet with zillions of smaller websites like they used to back in the late 90's/early millennium. I mean, to be honest, all the people who used to hate Pokemon are now saying "Pokemon. Eh. 'S okay." And sure, the older crowds are growing up, but the younger crowds are coming in all the time. I'm still seeing a lot of people saying, "DP/RSE is my first game." And, of course, if Pokemon was dying out, we'd be seeing a lot less people on these boards.

But if it ever dies out, it's probably just the fans growing up and moving on, with no new fans coming in (which isn't really happening all that much, but still). And given the fact that Pokemon is an old franchise, the youth attention might just be drawn in by something newer and shinier.

Harper

Crazy guy with red hair...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 14, 2009
Yeh, but guys you dont understand. Pokemon has died out! just cos we are still here loyal as ever it dsnt meen the rest of the world is. you cant say that pokemon hasnt died out just because there is a ot ofpeople on the forums, because that's what the forums are for, gathering people who think alike together.
i have a pet parrot and i'm on a parrot forum, and there is a lot of people on it, but that dosnt meen the whole world is mad about parrots.
people who dont like parrots or pokemon or yugioh or watever dont go and hang out on yugioh forums. so you cant get a proper idea of how many ppl dont play pokemon by looking at a pokemon forum.
i would get linched in my school if i ever said i played pokemon. even a lot of people in my group dont know.
but i do think that there are a whole lot more people who do play pokemon that dont admit it. i'm sure there would be a s@#%load more ppl than i actiay know. people who go home and dig out their old cards, or turn their gameboy on and play LG. but we're all just too afraid of admiting it.

DarkArcz

The Cloaked Schemer
Years
Ah, but that is the point. Loads of members comming to this forum means loads of people sharing the same opinion. There are people who would laugh at my interests, but there are plenty more who also share it. Pokemon hasn't died out, it's just that the older fans are all in hiding, since talking about Manaphys and Celebis and Mews at work/in school isn't likely to get you promoted/get better grades.

Harper

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 14, 2009
Actualy since i was ranting on for so long i didnt realise i went against the point i was originaly trying to make.
so let me clear it up:
pokemon died out. but the very people who would linch you (if you said you still played it) probably arnt that against it. i hate to evoke the PP word (peer pressure) but it may be true. people just threw out their old cards and sold their gameboys because they didnt want to be seen playing pokemon. We are those that couldnt let go, or were smart enough not to do stupid things like that, because we still enjoyed pokemon. I'm not going to stop playing until i want to stop playing. that dosnt meen everyone thinks like that...
Im not sure if i made any sense just then, just tell me if i didn't. i was on a roll. very rarely do i get worked up like that

Yeh but darkarcs. there may be loads of people here but this isnt restricted to one town or city. this forum is all over the WORLD. i dont no exactly how many people are n here. but i'll take a guess and say maybe 1000 or a bit more. that's still 1000, penuts compared to the amount of kids in the world.

Last edited:

DarkArcz

The Cloaked Schemer
Years
Accually, there are 33292 members right now, so it's a fairly large peanut, eh? It's already a fairly good number, look at other franchises that peaked in popularity at the same time as Pokemon. Most of them have either died out, or suffered a steady decline. I'll give an example;Digimon. It used to be quiet popular, second only to Pokemon, but look at it now. It's seasons had 3-4 years in between each other, and most of it's fans have moved on. The fact that Pokemon still HAS fans, despite it's age, is an extremely good sign. Look at Mario, Zelda, and Sonic.

Harper

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 14, 2009
Ok... i said 1000 because the bird forum im on has about 2000 members. ok a BIG penut... but i still stick to my idea. even 33k is penuts compared to the rest of the world.
dont get me rong here. i love pokemon, that's why i'm here on this forum. maybe there is enough of us to keep the franchise alive. but we are still underground. like La Resistance! mybe one day we'll rise up against our opressors and build a nation of pokelovers. but i still think pokemon is dead, or at least fallen out of public favour. excuse me for this but nothing else comes to mind. we're ust like crazy bondage nuters from germany. theres a lot of us, but that dosnt stop the rest of the world from frowning at us.

i rekon they should just move all of us pokemon freeks out to sum remote city full of free gameboys etc were we could live hapily by ourselves. maybe canberra... thats a big enough hole. actualy it's the must unused place in all ov australia. even the prime minister prefers to hang in sydney.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 28, 2009
As for Pokemon, how can you tell it's died out? This forum has atleast 100 people at any given time a day, and near 1000 on others.

The craze where every kid in America was playing Pokemon has died out. That doesn't mean that Pokemon still isn't popular among a select group of people i.e. the members on this board and other Pokemon forums.

If Pokemon truly has died out, I'd say it was because of the anime. Or, to be more specific, the DUBBED anime. With it's stupid catchphrase (Gotta catch 'em all!) and kiddy themes of "friendship" and stuff(though I guess this was also in the original Jap anime). Also, who can confuse a riceball with a donut/sandwich? I don't know what 4Kids was smoking when they translated that bit...

That's the case with most dubbed anime. They try to take out all the elements that are too culture specific or things that they don't think are "appropriate" for American audiences. As for the "Gotta Catch 'em All," slogan, that wasn't just for the anime, it was used for everything related to Pokemon, including the games.

Back