• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Fakemon

What should I improve on?

• Total voters

mineox100

Hey.
Years
My Sprites

Hello everyone! Here's a whole lot of sprites I made, completely from scratch!

Now for the things you all been waiting for...

Fakemon:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
There's nothing on the poll that you should improve upon first. You don't need to fuss about shading on outlines and colors, or on your design per say yet. You need to refine your actual drawing abilities. Not that you have to become a master artist or something, but trying to make better shapes. They are currently very lumpy.

Just trying to make spheres and circles for your grass starter's hand, for instance. Try to make things curve more. Your first two grass starters do a lot better than the last one in terms of blockiness.

mineox100

Hey.
Years
Thanks for the advice guys!

Well. Firstly, there isn't much design to them. I mean, what makes that grass starter anyway related to grass besides being a rabbit? There are no leaves, roots, etc.
Do you have any suggestions for a grass-related thing for the grass starter?

Years
Mmm, dear, I don't think just adding a leaf will do it. It would be better to come up with a new design centered around the grass element, instead of just adding it on in the end. I think you need to come up with a solid design for just one evolution, either first or last, keep refining that idea, then make the other evolutions. So far they just look like different sizes of the same thing. Work on one concept, THEN expand.

Also again, you should refine your sprites by trying to make the shapes smoother.

Comerion

DGXZ
Years
Hmm... I think the thing you need to work on is actually the outline. At the moment it looks rather straight and blocky. Same goes for the shading. Try to use more curves, it makes it look more anatomically correct. I would personally recommend the in depth spriting tutorial at the cave of dragonflies, it covers curves and everything.

On the other hand, keep up the sprites, you'll only get better. :)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Hey guys! How about these I made in the past few days:
H3q7c.png
IKVtX.png

RAlbU.png
12EDm.png

e0SAp.png
KVtXE.png

Included shinies!

These are definitely better. The designs are more interesting, and the sprites are better-executed. However, judging by these sprites, it's kind of obvious that you're a beginner to spriting, which is fine (every spriter is a beginner at some point). I would suggest looking at some experienced spriters' sprites for inspiration (don't copy, though). There is even a good tutorial on these forums (I'm using it, it's really useful), I would suggest looking at it.

As for these sprites, I would suggest shading them a bit more. They appear a bit under-shaded, and I would suggest a bit more contrast within the shading. The concepts still don't "grab" me, and I would suggest improvements in the design (Incorporate the whole "plant" idea more into the design, as the Pokemon you made could still be recolored to look like any type). Besides that, though, they're good for a beginning attempt, but don't get discouraged by my critique.

PokeHumanManectric

Leader of the PMD Team
Years
The new sprites still need some work... More shading and better design, mostly. The only difference I see between the first two evolutions is that the second one's slightly bigger and has the metal claws. Their face seems too simple, too. You should be able to recognize a Pokemon by it's face, but the faces on these are all the same.

Years
Randomly made this:
Fv2UG.png

Any comments?

Well your darkest colors aren't dark enough for one. The outermost color should be dark so that you can distinguish between the outlines and the shading within. Also, the skin seems very plain; I'm assuming this is related to Lapras, so you should add some spots or blotches. The tail changes width and gets fatter again at the end. You should skinny it up or fatten the mid-section. The flippers have no shading. There's no highlights on the back of the tail. And a little dithering might work for a sprite this big, between the darkest color and the next color up the palette.

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2012
I got just a couple things to say, the sprites are too 2D, the colors arnt very realistic, and the outlines are a bit dark. But on the bright side the shading is good apart from a bit of blending. keep up trying and praticing thats how you get really good.

mineox100

Hey.
Years
Thanks for all the comments! :D
It's been quiet lately, so...
____attenswim_by_mineox100-d53qdpp.png

I tried a new way of spriting Fakemon! I found that way on someone's tutorial... :P

Back