• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen BOOM! Voltorb Flip!

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
In the international releases of HG/SS, the slot machine was replaced with the Voltorb flip; something about not wanting to promote gambling among children. There were several prizes to be won, and there was also no method to 'buy' coins as many had previously done to get the stuff they needed. What did you think of this? Did you love or hate this change? Did you spend the agonizing hours many others have to get a nice pokemon or TM? Or did you just ignore it because of how tedious it was?
EDIT: Oh yes, and did you just not like game corners at all and just bought all the coins you needed in previous games?

In the previous thread, there were some tips other people have given us:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I enjoyed playing Voltorb Flip. It's a great little mini-game in my opinion. While it got tricky at stages, and I quit many times because I kept finding one of those round buggers, it kept me busy - especially when I had nothing else to do. I didn't really play it to earn the coins, since I only really got up to levels 2 -4. I just played the game for a bit of fun and entertainment every now and then.

Years
I didn't really like Voltorb Flip to be honest, that was one of the only downsides of HG/SS for me. I could never always pass the first stage, also I didn't like how they disabled buying coins, meaning I could never get Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Flamethrower as easily as other games.

But then again, the reason the slot machines got removed in non-Japanese releases was due to the Europeans passing anti-gambling laws in video games, which explains why European copies of Platinum did not have working slot machines compared to other regions.

At least there is a chance you can get a Dratini early on if you save enough coins. It can he a helpful asset to your team.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I didn't like it at first since I was always losing right away. But I've somewhat figured out a strategy and it's become relatively easier. And now I think it's actually kind of fun and addicting to play. Once you get the hang of it and use the memo pad, it becomes easier.
It's a game of chance so it always pisses me off when I get a Voltorb.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
It took a while for me to get the hang of it, but I never cold earn enough coins to get anything good. I planned on obtaining a Porygon that way (I discovered my love of them after reading about the episode of the anime). But I never got enough coins to do so. Eventually I got one on Diamond version in that garden, though.

Anyway, yeah, I did kind of like the game. But I reset HG and SS (which was stupid of me) and now I can't play it until I get to that point in the game. :T

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Voltorb flip did have some amazing prizes, but for me I really disliked the game as it was tedious and almost impossible for me. Even when I repeatedly attempt it, there was a never a point when I made it past the second level. It was super hard and I spent hours before finally giving up with sweaty hands and leaving in a rage.

After that, I wasn't too keen to play it again so I never set foot in the Game Corner again sadly ;_;. Maybe I will play it again sometime later, but I don't think that'll be a while. To sum it up, I don't particularly like Voltorb Flip and would have the coin machines with the slots any day n_n.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
tbh, I think most people just didn't like the game corner at all. I always bought my coins, never actually played slots that much. I actually started playing at a game corner with Sapphire which had multiple games and SS, because I kinda liked it and there was no other way to get my sandshrew at the time. And it also seems that people actually like the game, which may have been the case earlier if we had had the system of buying coins abolished earlier. It makes you play the games instead of buying your way through.

Years
To be brutally honest, I preferred Voltorb Flip to the slot machines (even if it did make me rage more than once).
It was pretty fun, you have to admit. But, I didn't like how you couldn't buy/bet coins on the game. Having said that, I assume that's why they got rid of it in the first place, because it 'provoked gambling' or something.

Years
I really did not like Voltorb Flip. Was pretty boring and I never had any interest to actually play it since I lost so quickly orz. I think the furthest I got was level 2 buuut at the same time I never played the slot machines and only bought coins with money. xD;

Years
I always thought the Game Corners in the previous games were alright, but the only game I really enjoyed playing was the Roulette from R/S/E. Other than that, I would usually just buy the coins if I wanted a certain prize.

And while I didn't initially like it, once I started figuring out how it worked, I started to enjoy playing Voltorb Flip. I was able to get up to level 5 or 6 on a number of occasions, with a lot of help coming from the memo pad. I wish there still would have been the option to buy coins, but this was a good enough alternative for that, I guess.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023
Voltorb Flip became a much more viable option for me once I found this bad boy, a Voltorb Flip Calculator: http://voltorbflip.lanowen.com/

It's not perfect, it's based on probablility and chance, but it still saves a lot of time. Using this, in my current run through of SS I got a Porygon and the TMs for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt through the Game Corner. It still takes a couple hours per each item, but I find the process almost meditative.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I also did not like Voltorb flip; I found it to be very boring, so I've played it a couple of times and never did it again due to the fact that the highest level I ever got to was level 2. I also didn't like the fact that you couldn't buy coins in order to get Pokemon as prizes; I would usually buy coins in order to get these prizes because I am very unlucky when it comes to these games. If they took out the slot machines in the American HG/SS, I can now see why there isn't a game corner in BW and B2W2.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
I prefer Voltorb Flip to the old slots. I feel like it's easier to get coins in Voltorb Flip, I used to just ignore the Game Corner in the second generation because of the odds of the slots. I also like how Voltorb Flip is more of a puzzle and that 9 times out of 10 you can use math/knowledge to solve it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
I like it way better, I have more control of how many coins I earn. But it only took me like 10-20 mins of playing to get Dratini at that early in the game :D

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I think Voltorb Flip was better.
It only took me a few hours (2 hours at best) to gather enough coins to buy 5 Ekans.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
I absolutely loved Voltorb Flip. It actually required some thinking instead of the good ol' slots and that's definitely a plus for me. It's too bad that it wasn't included in BW(2).

Back