• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
Spoiler:

Map redone.
You've done a good job on this map. But there are too many flowers :) 9 out of 10 (y)

This is a very large city I made a while ago, just want some reviews on it:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/018/1/0/orin_lake_city_v1_by_pokemon_tiler-d4mqv5h.png

It's called Orin lake City, and it lagged alot. There is some stuff that is missing, like the NPCs, but nyeh.

Spoiler:

awesome for a 2nd gen map! The organization of houses, trees is perfect but it looks like 3 towns, 4 routes and one city all grouped in one image (The map is not large, is gigantic!) 8 out of 10 ;)

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
this is a map from my game
Spoiler:

It doesn't look perfect though, but it is great isn't it

I think you could do better about the rocks... And on the right top corner of the map, you need a transition tile coz that's horrible like that! And on that center area! Sorry but 5 out of 10

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I'm not really a mapper, but I'm a pretty good critic.

Route 2
Spoiler:

It's beautifully done, but there's too much things going on. Like ptisnjunk95 said, there are too many flowers and branches. Try cleaning up a bit. I give it an eight. Good job.

this is a map from my game
Spoiler:

It doesn't look perfect though, but it is great isn't it

It's okay, and I like the cleanliness, but it's just a bit too clean. Something's missing. The rocks on the water are way too organized, if you catch my drift. Try spreading them out. Also, there's something going on with the water, sand, and the grass. They're not mixing properly with the other tiles. I give it a six. I know you can do better.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
I've decided to publish a new map so here it is :)

I've just done it (I started at 2AM :) )
Some critique:
  • There are trees on the mountains. Makes little sense.
  • The rocks look randomly placed. It should look natural.
  • It's weird how the patch of grass around the rock is square. Make it not square. :p
  • The tree next to the square patch of grass also looks random. Add more behind it or in front of it.
  • There should be waves hitting against the mountains where they meet the water. Also, make it the sand less square.
    Nothing is square in real life. The mountain on the other hand looks great.

Riansky

Purr
Years
Rayquaza: Very empty map, sand paths are randomly placed which looks weird. The tiles combination is not the best too. You should really add more paths and don't make sand paths so random. Same goes for wild grass. And make mountains a bit higher because they looks stupid like that in my opinion. Sorry to say that but it really looks like you just threw together some tiles to make a big map.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
No need to apologise, I knew that there were things wrong with my mapping so I submitted it here and on my Da to get feedback from other users.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
@Rayquaza:
You certainly have great potential as a mapper.
You have done great in making the map seem more interesting than it actually is, since it is so big and empty, yet it doesn't feel as empty as it is, and you use your mountain tiles good.

The problem you have is that you haven't really made the map with the player in mind.
With a map this huge, you need to have a very clear route for the player to follow through the map. Right now, you have 7-8 different ways of reaching the end destination, with lots of backs and forths, and confusing placements of, to the player, confusing paths.

My tip to you would be; Make the map 75% less long, and 50 % less wide.
Lower the amount of empty 10x10 spaces in the map. (These aren't useful for anything. Trainers will be hard to place so they can spot the trainer, and long travels aren't fun for the player.)
Next; Make less different paths to the destination.
Stick to 1 or maybe 2. Possibly a 3rd if it is a ledge jump, to quickly backtrack. But simply: Don't make it possible to get lost, unless that is the idea.
Lastly, try not to make dead ends like you have at the furthmost right on the map.
Forcing the player to go through 15-20 tall grass tiles only to come to a dead end, can really make you hate a game.

Originality: 7/10
Use of tiles: 7/10
Aesthetics: 8/10
Mapping with the player in mind: 5/10
Usement of space: 4/10
Total: 31/50
6/10

You have a lot of potential, but you need to make the map easier for the player to understand, and utilize the space in the map more, not make big emtpy areas.

I hope to see more of you! :D

tImE~

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
Years
Alright, this map is decent, as Rian said, the mountains need to be taller, it does look rather stupid, and the random sand paths look out of place, you have way to make bridges, and the wild pokemon grass needs better placement. Other then that, it's not bad. I wish I could map like this xD

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
iVtGO.jpg

Map redone.

Perfect. You've incorporated just the right amount of variation; the mountain tiles look like they still conform to a grid nicely, but also looks much more natural at the same time.

All that needs doing is to work with the grass tiles a little more; the one tile being repeated looks a little repetitive (though there isn't much normal grass on this map, so it doesn't stick out too badly). 9/10

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
Years
Some critique:
  • There are trees on the mountains. Makes little sense.
  • The rocks look randomly placed. It should look natural.
  • It's weird how the patch of grass around the rock is square. Make it not square. :p
  • The tree next to the square patch of grass also looks random. Add more behind it or in front of it.
  • There should be waves hitting against the mountains where they meet the water. Also, make it the sand less square.
    Nothing is square in real life. The mountain on the other hand looks great.

Map redone ;) I think now it's better :P

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@Nitendork: the layout is nice, but the colors are really hurting my eyes... plus the wall sprite seems a bit weird to me. you might wanna make things appear less square by putting up a tree or something on the long empty patches of grass.

Anyway, here's something I made. it's named Cliffshire Woods:
Spoiler:
I haven't mapped for nearly a year now, this is my first attempt after my break. It isn't in a game yet, that's why I haven't used the right length for the borders at the edges.

It's supposed to be a mountain forest, you start at the bottom left trying to make your way up to the top right corner. the caves aren't supposed to be that long, the entry and exits are on the same line. I tried my best trying to make this look natural.

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Anyway, here's something I made. it's named Cliffshire Woods:
Spoiler:
I haven't mapped for nearly a year now, this is my first attempt after my break. It isn't in a game yet, that's why I haven't used the right length for the borders at the edges.

I'd have to say its definitely got that natural look to it however there are a few things I disagree with for this map. One those shrubs dotted around you map don't fit in very well they stand out too easily and are definitely more of a city object. Secondly try using less tree types having three is great but it make it more difficult for an environment to be recognized keep the large 3x3 tree and the 1x3 tree because they can work together. I like the concept of the caves very well done they are situated just perfectly for the location and you haven't gone overboard with the number of entrances. Lastly is the dirt paths, this is something you have both good and bad attributes to the good is that it is directive and shows what it needs to. Unfortunately the path doesn't seem right near three of you cave entrances the bottom-right was fine. They were to thin and seemed incorrect but as a minor factor its not something to truly worry about.

Overall I give you an 8.7/10 this is an impressive map and if you make a game with this in I want to play that game this was very well done and presented with a natural feel. Well Done.

Now onwards to one of my submission this is a town I built a while ago and I think I should just show it to get people's opinion

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back