• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I lost." Now what?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
If you lose in a video game you're playing (Ie. Game Over) do you continue right away and try to beat whatever beat your again? Or do you break and come back later?

Years
I try again, and if I can't beat it at all, I just take a break or look up a guide but latter but only in extreme situations.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
If I have nothing else to do, I keep trying. If I have no solution, I look up a solution and keep trying.

In Pokemon Ranger, a unique thing happens that only happens with some games: My hands become completely numb and I have to wait atleast one or two days to continue, esp. since I'm using my finger on a touchpad instead of a stylus.

I might also switch to another character/arc/level, if such a thing is available (like in Sonic Rush), or a similar game in order to get experience. I remember I did that alot when I had a GBA, since most games played the same way. Sonic Advance helped me complete a Megaman game which in turn helped me complete a SpongeBob game, etc. I've done the same thing with online games, using RS to help me with S4 League which helped me with CoH:GR, which then helped me with Vindi - which helped me with TERA...

Yeah, so I normally either "try", "get help", or "switch". Though I never cheat since that would ruin the challenge. As in, I use walkthroughs but no hacks.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2014
It depends on how long I've been playing most of the time, and whether or not what's killed me is actually beatable at my current level. If I just messed up, I'll usually give it a second try, but with something like a JRPG I'll usually put it down and come back to it later, when I'm ready to invest some time grinding.

The last time I saved, or how much I have to do again, factors into it as well. If I have to do a whole level again, I usually just quit, sometimes for a few days. I hate repeating myself, just to lose again at exactly the same point.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
In everything but osu I'll give it a few shots and quit if I get too frustrated.

In osu I'll play until I win regardless of how many times it takes me. My current record is 16 consecutive attempts.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When I play a game for the first time and lose, I'll give it another try. If I lose again, then I may try to beat it for a third time. If I still lose, then I will simply pull out the game from my console and put in another. I might play the game again at some point, but I'll play it only when I have enough motivation. xD If I don't feel motivated, then I will most likely end up not touching the game ever again.

Nakala Pri

I get infuriated, start grumbling then yell 'Screw it' and dive back in. I'm not one to retreat. I'm not one to prevail. I am one to fight back and give the stupid level/battlefield/boss a wedgie! >:D

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
It honestly depends how much time I have. Sometimes when I'm playing a game I have all the time in the world, but other times I'm playing and don't have that much time because I must go to work or am going to hang out with some friends or something. Normally though, I'll keep retrying until I beat the checkpoint.

Years
If I lose I try again until I win, because it feels unsatisfying to stop in the middle and just give up and leave. But if its too frustrating, I'll just stop and try some other time.

Back