• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Trubbish line and the Vanillite line: Why all the hate?

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
For me, pokemon are pokemon, and I have to catch them all anyways right? I dont hate any pokemon and neither of the pokemon mentioned in this thread bother me that much at all.

Black Dynamite

Resident Noob
Years
i didnt think too much of trubbish. but it is a pokemon i simply cannot attach myself with, i dont hate it, i just don't like it.
garbador wants to make me throw up. i am repulsed by this thing that im glad its not really tanky in the game so i dont have to see it after i KO it. i also just dont see how a garbage bag can come to life but its the same with muk (i still like muks design better). its nothing aginst 6th gen cause theres been a few silly designs in every generation so far.
vanillite is cute admittedly. i just can't take it seriously. whats its evolve form? oh a double scoop? please use fan-art every now and then some of those designs are incredible and im sure the artists would be honored to have their designs featured in games.

i wouldnt be surprised if you saw i box of popcorn pokemon in the next gen. hopefully it doesnt get that uninspired

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2016
I dont know but Garbador kicked my teams butt a few times i never thought twice about his design though.... Vanilite i was like wtf?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Trubbish is an... interesting case. Because Unova had added two derp Pokémon (LOVE YOU SO MUCH UNOVA) instead of one, because in Sinnoh, no derp Pokémon existed. The depicted theme is the rising environmental pollution, so obviously it seems lame or disgusting to most. But Stunfisk and Trubbish and other derp Pokémon are all loved by me =)

It's just that some Pokémon are liked and some are not liked. Like Magikarp and Zubat. Who liked them? But there are people who genuinely had interest in them. Just a popular opinion of people that spreads to others.

Vaniliite has a very "hidden-evil-in-that-smile-watch-out" type of look. Other than that, it's very cute and hard to train against and with. Vanilluxe doesn't have a very appealing appearance either, so I can understand the hate.

Something like stereotypes. That sort of influence is not removed unless depicted in another way. For example, Stoutland's in-game sprite gives the impression of a fat dog that is not very active, but seeing it in the anime rectifies that appearance.

Years
I don't see anything wrong with these Pokemon, sure they may not have the best looks in the world but their stats are actually quite impressive. Trubbish line? I know their movepool doesn't make the best use of its stats, and Vanillite's line may have a shallow movepool but learn some strong Ice attacks. And once you find out Vanilluxe's BST is like, on par with Lapras you'd definitely know it's got good stats going for it.

And who doesn't love smiling ice-cream cones? Vanillite's line are among my fave Ice-types as well so you can see what I mean. They're just so cute and they have the stats to fight with too! I don't understand the hate, I mean a Pokemon is a Pokemon.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I don't see anything wrong with these Pokemon, sure they may not have the best looks in the world but their stats are actually quite impressive. Trubbish line? I know their movepool doesn't make the best use of its stats, and Vanillite's line may have a shallow movepool but learn some strong Ice attacks. And once you find out Vanilluxe's BST is like, on par with Lapras you'd definitely know it's got good stats going for it.

Wow, I'm quite surprised, actually. I always thought Vanillite was a crippled Competitive Battler. This does mean that Vanilluxe is a formidable force.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I actually find their lines completely adorable. <3
Like, I legit love them so much. >u<
Both are decent in offense (albeit Vanilluxe's shallow movepool), and can hold their own when raised right.

PokemonCollector-N

Pokemon Collector
Years
I don't hate Trubbish, only the Vanillite line.
I never really like food/object pokemon, but if it got a design that make it look more than just an object with eyeballs its okay.
Like geodude's arms which make it look like a human, or Swirlix which remind me a dog.
But the Vanillite alaways was... an ice cream with eyeballs, which was really stupied...

I think something a lot of people overlook is the fact that humans tend to connect more with things that they can give human characteristics to. This is exemplified very well in the above post. I was watching a video by the YouTuber "Tamashii Hiroka" and she explained this quite well. The above statement is a lot of the reason why, as a general statement, humans get closer to certain mammal companions that they see as "like them." Now, as a civilized species, we've gotten to the point where we can always overcome these stereotypes and such, and we can get attached to pet fish.

More often than not, though, one would get closer to a dog- a mammal that shows more emotion, more "humanity" than a scaly, underwater, somewhat-derpy looking creature like a fish. This goes for Pokemon, too. Sure, there are plenty of fish Pokemon that people like. So, my last point seems kind of dumb, right?

But here's what I mean. Take the Pokemon Basculin. Its eyes are drawn to be expressive. It looks sort of angry, you could say. While Trubbish also looks to be slightly expressive, it seems more dull than not, and isn't really an animal. Automatically, many people equate it to an object and thus can't find themselves liking it or becoming attached to it. Again, not all people are like this, but many of the haters seem to display this behavior. Of course, their stats and move pools can be a factor- but I'm talking more about the people going after the design-oriented hate. With the Vanilish line, well, they're food. Most people I know don't like to think of something that we consume for dessert as a monster that can be battled with. Sure, we eat cows like Miltank, and fish like Magikarp, but those start out as living animals where as ice cream is a product of human development. The day that I try and fight a bowl of ice cream is not a day that'll be coming anytime soon.

Nostalgia plays a role here too. Most people I personally know automatically hate on newer Pokemon, because that's just the trend. They take what they like from the old days, remember the good stuff, and then they continue on grumbling about how GameFreak is "running out of ideas." While that is a valid opinion, it's an opinion that I cannot respect due to the fact that I believe it to be very ignorant. Every generation has its bad Pokemon. Muk and Grimer are living piles of sludge. Sludge, for those who don't know the technical definition, can be defined multiple ways. Here are some of them.

"1. Semisolid material such as the type precipitated by sewage treatment.
2. Mud, mire, or ooze covering the ground or forming a deposit, as on a riverbed.
3. Finely broken or half-formed ice on a body of water, especially the sea."

Essentially, Muk and Grimer are sentient piles of poop, or mud. And mud? Comes from dead plant and animal matter. Really, they're not exactly the most "creative" if you're going for that. They're just waste and dead stuff. Because they're obviously not made of ice like the third definition there. I like Muk and Grimer, personally, but for the sake of this big ranty statement here, I'm using them as an example.

Now, none of what I said up here is meant to offend anyone, nor is it meant to fully dismiss any opinions, but to give my take on this whole situation. Sorry for the eyeball burning rant everyone. I also don't intend to generalize as much as it seems, I'm well aware that people can have many varied reasons for liking/disliking certain Pokemon beyond these reasons.

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Haters gonna hate? I actually like Trubbish and his evolved form. I'm not a big an of Vanillite and the others but I still tolerate them. I guess some people are just bothered that Gamefreak bases Pokemon on all kinds of things rather than just animals.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I don't mind if people hate these pokemon. I just dislike it when I hear my genwunner friends, who stopped playing a long time ago, state these as their main argument for why the games are no longer good and as the reason why they stopped playing.

You only need to have 6 pokemon in your team. I'm certain that, when they were younger, not every pokemon in the RBY jumped out at them as something they would personally train. So long as you can find 6 pokemon you like, you can just enjoy defeating in battle or perma-box all the ones you don't like. And it's not like these pokemon are very common anyways.

Okay, so you hate the garbage and ice cream pokemon. That leaves another 151 out of 156 in this current generation for you to find reasons to dislike. I don't think there's anything wrong with people saying they no longer want to play the games, or that they dislike Gen V compare to other gens, as there are many legitimate reasons. I just think that, by itself, this is a pretty flimsy reason.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
. . . because in Sinnoh, no derp Pokémon existed. . .

Sinnoh had no derp pokemon? Really, koff~?

Croagunk and Bidoof? Likilicky and Magmortor? Magnezone and Probopass? The ridiculous horror that is Rhyperior? These are but a handful of the fourth generation's failures. I like it when they can go back and evolve certain pokemon (Porygon is a wonderful example), but when they take a monster like Rhydon and 'demote' it by evolving it into a heap of orange poo-mess, that just makes no sense at all.

People like to talk at how uninspired the fifth generation is. Pish-posh. All the 5th generation pokemon are brand new! The fourth generation had more than 20 evolutions and pre-evolutions linking to past games. For shame, those that label the fifth generation 'uninspired', koffi~

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I kinda hate Vanillite because it was the only line (that I know of) in the Unova region that was designed by an American. We coulda had the chance to make our mark and make the ultimate patriotic Pokemon that would rival the likes of Braviary but instead we made ice cream.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I finally got back to reading this, koff~

I'm actually satisfied with the Pokemon designed by James Turner (Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Golett, Golurk, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe), who is a Brit by the way. I'm sure we as Americans will have our shot at creating the ultimate piece of patriotic destruction ever: Flaggistave, the Patriotic Flag Pokemon, koffi~

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I just don't like pokémon that are based on man-made objects, I guess. Rotom's formes have explanations, Magnemite is borderline and Honedge and Banette are ghosts possessing discarded/old items, so. But an ice-cream. That's food. That's a bit too silly. Just my opinion :)

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I also see genwunners mention these Pokémon a lot just because they're the easiest to attack and to compare unfavorably to the old Pokémon.

Take a French vlogger Cyprien for instance. In one of his videos which was a series of rants about different videogame franchises, he mentioned Pokémon, saying something like "what happened to the designs?", showed a Rattata saying "We used to have this", then showed a Garbodor and said "How we have ridiculous stuff like this". Quite an unfair comparison, if you ask me.

Fitzsy

authentic cool guy
Years
I actually really like their unique designs and premises, but certainly not at first. Most of the Generation V Pokémon were waaay jarring when they were unveiled, but they really grew on me once I started actually playing White, and now, specifically because of bizarre Pokémon like Vanilluxe and Garbodor, Generation V is my favorite design-wise, if only because they're so unusual.

To the point, it seems like most can't get past the weirdness of the Generation V designs, which is best exemplified by these two specific evolutionary lines, along with others like Stunfisk or Throh and Sawk. It's totally understandable, of course, especially given Generation IV's prominent amount of cool Pokémon like Lucario or Gallade or Luxray, which frankly aren't my cup of tea, but they're the cool ones for a reason, so it makes a lot of sense why there would be such a backlash against Trubbish and Vanillite...

Years
I think these two lines are just what comes to mind when someone says 'Worst Pokemon designs' because it has been reinforced so much through memes etc. The whole genwunner thing kinda gave them a bad name as well.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Garbodor...uninspired and bland? **** that noise!
tumblr_m6yzauhLNz1r8pw1do1_500.png

Spoiler:

Is YOUR favorite Pokemon inspired by Totoro? No? Then you have no rights to call Garbodor bland.

The Vanilite line is **** though. James Turner did very well with Golurk, but man the Vanilite line...

Back