• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone recognize these Japanese cards?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Hi All. I've been collecting Pokémon cards and other memorabilia for several years now. I purchased some Japanase Pokémon card gum packs several years ago and am trying to find out what they are. I purchased an open box which had 20 sealed card gum packs. I opened one to see what was inside. The pack included a piece of gum (no, I didn't eat it) and two cards.

I've been doing some research on the Internet and I think they might be 1997 Topsun card packs. I've read that these cards came in a box of 20 packs and each pack had 2 or 3 cards. The two cards I found were glossy but certainly not holo; however they do look very much like the 1997 Topsun holo cards on the Internet that seem to be highly collectible. Apparently there is one holo card in every box.

Unfortunately none of the cards, packs or the open box have a date on them. The only text that is in English is as follows: "©Nintendo·CREATURES·GAMEFREAK·TV TOKYO·SHO-PRO·JR KIKAKU". I can't find any information on what a 1997 Topsun card gum pack looks like or a 1997 Topsun card checklist. I'd like to know if these packs are worth anything and if they are worth more sealed than opened.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Please use the Pokemon TCG forum to ask questions of this nature in the future. You'll probably have a greater shot of getting an answer here as well. Thanks.

Moving on up

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Thank you for your responses so far. Just to be clear, the English text "©Nintendo·CREATURES·GAMEFREAK·TV TOKYO·SHO-PRO·JR KIKAKU" can be found on the box, on card gum packs and at the bottom on the back of the cards just below the drawings of three Pokémons arranged in a triangle. See photos at http<semicolon>//s1308<dot>beta<dot>photobucket.com/user/frankthetank1964/library/ (replace <dot> with '.' and <semicolon> with ':').

Last edited:
Years
I've not found anything on those other than other people asking what they were (several years back, I might add), as well as a single eBay lot that sold two unopened boosters of them for $5.99 USD.

As far as I can tell, they're legitimate, but there seems to be very little out there in the English-speaking forums. Might be something on them on some Japanese sites, but I'm only monolingual.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
Are these Topsun gum card packs?

Hi All.

I've been collecting Pokémon cards and other memorabilia for several years now. I purchased some Japanase Pokémon card gum packs several years ago and am trying to find out what they are. I purchased an open box which had 20 sealed card gum packs. I opened one to see what was inside. The pack included a piece of gum (no, I didn't eat it) and two cards.

I've been doing some research on the Internet and I think they might be 1997 Topsun card packs. I've read that these cards came in a box of 20 packs and each pack had 2 or 3 cards. The two cards I found were glossy but certainly not holo; however they do look very much like the 1997 Topsun holo cards on the Internet that seem to be highly collectible. Apparently there is one holo card in every box.

Unfortunately none of the cards, packs or the open box have a date on them. The only text that is in English is as follows: "©Nintendo·CREATURES·GAMEFREAK·TV TOKYO·SHO-PRO·JR KIKAKU"and it can be found can be found on the box, on card gum packs and at the bottom on the back of the cards just below the drawings of three Pokémons arranged in a triangle. See my photos at http<semicolon>//s1308<dot>beta<dot>photobucket.com/user/frankthetank1964/library/ (replace <dot> with '.' and <semicolon> with ':').

I can't find any information on what a 1997 Topsun card gum pack looks like or a 1997 Topsun card checklist. I'd like to know if these packs are worth anything and if they are worth more sealed than opened.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Years
Merged this thread with your previous thread.

I've not found out much, but I retract my earlier statement that they don't look like Topsun cards, as it turns out the only cards I could find by searching for "Topsun Pokemon cards" are the 1997 Bandai vending machine cards, which look nothing like the cards you've got. The only Topsun cards that show up are the holofoil versions of the cards. It seems these cards remain a mystery to most non-Japanese collectors. I'm curious as to what sites you've discovered in your research that lead you to think that they are the 1997 Topsun cards.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2013
I thought they might be Topsun cards because the holo versions that you see on eBay or elsewhere on-line seem to have a very similar layout as the cards I have. I thought these might be the non-holo version of the Topsun cards and that if I open all 19 remaining packs I might find a holo Topsun card. However I have not been able to find the exact cards I have in a holo version.

Years
Most of the 1997 and 1995 Topsun cards I've been finding have a background with one, two, or three bars of solid color, the 3 colors being used being Green, Blue, and Red. Most of them don't look like your cards.

Back