• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • A reminder that our new forum software has 2FA! It can be accessed by clicking your username and then "Password and security" from the menu. We strongly suggest not reusing passwords for your online accounts and enabling 2FA if possible.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

General Pixel Art Discussion Thread

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
Years
Okay, this is actually a sticky...and a good one. So why not as well raise a new topic about fellow Pixel Artists:

Do you find it hard to draw something that doesn't relate to the bead color palette?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I never bothered with Photoshop's deafult swatches.

If I wasn't working off the colours of an existing sprite I just go straight into picking a custom colour and working off there for shading and hues.

Years
I'm still not sure if I understand what you're talking about,

but in terms of pallets I'm really bad about not starting with one, when apparently I should be. I just sorta pick out colors. I need to learn to unify them more.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
I actually use the default colors as a tool; I'll draw in bright red and blue, and not use any final colors until all of the linework is done.

Years
I start off with black and white and add color, usually a preset color, to help me define shapes better. Most of the time I use 2 or so different shades for contrast and then change them to something which looks better once I have enough detail going.

Years
Sometimes, if I'm sprting an evolution or pre-evolution, I'll just use the colours from their respective pr/evolutions. If it's a pure scratch, I'll probably start off with default colours as placeholders, and I, like Logiedan, may use different default colours to separate clashing parts of anatomy, temporarily.

Years
I like to use a different colour from evolutions because that usually happens in evolutions. I'll most likely saturate it a bit or so.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I use a couple of colours for my linework to help seperate the pieces and anatomy. Mainly i'll use black and red.

Sometimes, if I'm sprting an evolution or pre-evolution, I'll just use the colours from their respective pr/evolutions. If it's a pure scratch, I'll probably start off with default colours as placeholders, and I, like Logiedan, may use different default colours to separate clashing parts of anatomy, temporarily.

That's not really an issue because of the way I construct my sprites.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
Years
I use brighter colors for my starting lines in Paint. Pink and blue are very easy for me to see and work with. I use the circle shape tool to help me with primitive anatomy, like where the head should go, etc. I make my own palettes almost all the time, and then recolor with the eraser if necessary.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Hey guys! Sorry for being mildly off-topic and advertising but you all know me, and this seemed like a much better place than the usual thread because hey, it's about pixel art but not about critiquing and recieving crit (mostly). It's pocket spriter time again!

Pocket Spriter #7: Trials and Pixelations

Newcomers and oldcomers all, welcome to the newest episode of the eagerly-anticipated Pocket Spriter! Today, we rejoin our heroes Seika and Twitch as they grapple with challenges such as overcoming artblock and dealing with thousands of screaming fans who all want requests and commissions and concrit. Exciting! You, the viewer, can join in on the talking fun if you have skype, or simply via the chat if you do not.

The stream will start at 5PM EST on Wednesday, December 29, an earlier start time to accommodate those in other timezones. Panels are as follows:

Hosted by Twitch: 5-8PM
Circuitry Tips: Designing and spriting electric-type fakemon
No Regrets: Reviewing and improving on old designs
Sprite Critique: We take a closer look at viewer-submitted sprites and might actually resprite a few.

Hosted by Seika: 8PM-Happy hour
Hieros Gamos: It's not pokemon, but it -is- a neat pokemonesque game. We'll take a closer look at the alternative style of Seika's creations.
Sprite Requests: Viewers request a design or idea to be sprited.
Happy Hour: par-tayyyy

As always, the link to the channel is http://www.livestream.com/pocketspriter ! You don't need to be registered on livestream or anything. Just drop on by, and tell your friends!

Copypasta aside, and to make this post relevant: it depends on the sprite I'm working on, but generally I either just sketch the outline in black right then and there and refine it, or if it's especially complicated I make a rough sketch in a light color and go over it in black. I don't generally agonize over the sketching stage with different parts as different colors, unless it's a particularly difficult scratch.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
I can't do any spriting right now because I'm in the unfortunate phase between an old PC with Paint and a new Mac with Photoshop (one of these days I'm gonna get a tablet...), but when I did sprite on Paint, I always used the base colors as a, well, basis, and then fiddled around with the colors until I found one appropriate for the sprite. Or I just eyedropped it from the reference artwork. Otherwise, I only ever use those default colors for sketch linework or funky backgrounds for turning it transparent (thanks, Iaza!).

sigeru

Graphic artist(wannabe)
Years
Personally I like photoshop since it supports layer.
This is really handy when you are trying to scratch sprite.
XP MS paint is really great but I just wish there was some shortkeys for like the pencil and eraser tool ( or is there?).

Years
Yeah, the layer thing does help. Sometimes I need to test what some things need to look like so I use the layers. I think I mentioned this multiple times but I only use PS because W7 Paint suuuuckkss. D:

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
Years
I use paint, the old school version!
It's just, the ultimate pixel art tool, kinda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
I use Paint.NET. It's just like photoshop, with that good ol' MSpaint feel. It supports layers and transparency, plus I use it for all my graphics, and I'm to lazy to use 2 different programs, so yeah.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
At school when I mostly scratch I use the XP Paint (Since thats all it has)

At home, when I fuse, I mostly use win 7 paint, I gotten used to it. Its not too bad, I just dont use all that fancy stuff as the drawing stuff?
When I inset tiles I used both.

The only thing win 7 can change is the index thing xp had? and right click the other set color.

Back