• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
This could be the biggest backtrack in gaming history: Microsoft will reverse course on their DRM policies for Xbox One, dropping their Internet requirements and all restrictions on used games, according to the websites WhatHiFi and GiantBomb.

According to both reports, the announcement will be made today.

Citing multiple sources, GiantBomb says Microsoft has decided to remove a laundry list of Xbox One restrictions that customers considered negative:

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

My source: Kotaku and All Games Beta

1369177595-xbox-controller-rhs78-transbg-rgb-2013.png
1369177594-xbox-sensor-rhs78-transbg-rgb-2013.png

1369177594-xbox-console-rhs78-transbg-rgb-2013.png

For the people who were against this, would you now consider buying an Xbox One?
For the people that was still going to buy an Xbox One, how do you feel about it now?

I personally wouldn't buy it before and wouldn't buy it now :P Not a fan of the Xbox and the only new games I want to play are Watch Dogs (which I can play on PC) and Pokemon X Y.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
XBOX Official Facebook Page said:
We at Xbox love games. More importantly, we at Xbox love gamers. Today we announced changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, loan and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Also, an internet connection won't be required to play offline Xbox One games. We look forward to gaming with you for years to come.

I laugh in the face of every traitor who moved to PS4 and every FB page who thought they made witty meme pages bashing the XBOX One. The true loyal fans, like myself, who stayed by XBOX have been payed in full.

I have never been more proud of XBOX than I am right here, right now

I love you guys.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Fantastic. Now drop the price and you got yourself a deal. Microsoft showed more interesting exclusives than the PS4 for me anyway. (Dat 60fps Halo) Oh and better XBL Gold value, like the 360 during its mid days.

EDIT: is the forced kinect still there?

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
JESUS. I did not expect this at all.

If Xbox drop their price then the console war will be certainly up and running again in full force. Me being a kind of Playstation fanboy will still get a PS4, but this has made the Xbox One a whole lot more interesting now.

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
Anyways, drop the price a bit, and I might consider getting it.

I don't think I'll get it, but about dropping the price, I really hope they do, $499 seems like something I'd have to work a lot to afford. I'd rather use that money on other things. Buying a PS4 isn't in the list, lol.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years

I laugh in the face of every traitor who moved to PS4 and every FB page who thought they made witty meme pages bashing the XBOX One. The true loyal fans, like myself, who stayed by XBOX have been payed in full.

I love you guys.

If everyone was a true, loyal, fan then Microsoft wouldn't have made these changes.

These changes are about money, pure and simple - With as much backlash that they were getting over all of this, and with how many people saying that they weren't going to buy a XBOne because of these... features... Microsoft had to do something if they wanted to be a viable competitor this generation.

When does sitting back and doing nothing ever force changes? Hint hint, never. You have all of your 'traitors' to thank for this - Without them, Microsoft would never have had a need to make these changes.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
If everyone was a true, loyal, fan then Microsoft wouldn't have made these changes.

These changes are about money, pure and simple - With as much backlash that they were getting over all of this, and with how many people saying that they weren't going to buy a XBOne because of these... features... Microsoft had to do something if they wanted to be a viable competitor this generation.

When does sitting back and doing nothing ever force changes? Hint hint, never. You have all of your 'traitors' to thank for this - Without them, Microsoft would never have had a need to make these changes.

This actually makes sense. I just got caught up in the fact that I stayed by the system until they did this. But you're indeed correct. If people hadn't complained there would be no change.

(Post liked)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I've a few friends who still don't plan to even with this - Mainly because they expect Microsoft to change their minds again and add all of these 'features' back in with future firmware updates.

I think they are just a little bit paranoid. I can foresee some of this coming back, but not all of it.

Years
Drop the price to match the PS4's and you have a deal. Unfortunately I imagine another backtrack would harm their reputation a lot.

Until further developments I'm happy to be on the PS4 side.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years

I love you guys.
I think they're bashing and general consumer backlash is what led to Microsoft changing their positions. So, please, while laugh at them, also thank those supposed non-fans for giving you a non-DRM console.

Good on Microsoft, but it's still $100 more. I don't want the Kinect hardware. And based on E3, I was more interested in games Sony showed off.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
At least Sony showed the games as what they will look like on the PS4.

Microsoft was running them on PC's with a much more powerful videocard then what the XBone is going to have.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
PS4 for me since it will have 40% more graphical capabilities than the Xbox One but MS did a good thing there.
MS was running them on W7 PC with nVidia graphic cards so yeah...

Years
Wow, that sure didn't take long for Microsoft to back track and remove all of these "features." I can't say it surprises me, considering all of the backlash they received, and the large number of people who said they'd jump ship to the PS4, so they had to do something to save face. It does concern me a little bit how quickly they caved in to all of this pressure though, especially since they were fully aware of the fact this was all added in the first place. But, when you're dealing with such a huge market with only one or two other competitors, they'll understandably want to get the upper hand while they still have the chance.

I did like what I heard someone say today, in that the console should almost be renamed the Xbox One Eighty.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I saw this and thought... wow. Looks like Microsoft was staring down the barrel of a loaded gun.

I'm glad they changed it, but I'm still buying a Playstation 4.

Sir Codin

The fact that Microsoft even planned on these restrictions to begin with means they'll have to release something truly, ball-bustingly awesome for me to even consider buying an Xbox One...and only if they drop the price about $100.

And unfortunately, nothing Microsoft showed at E3 even gave me the tiniest semblance of a boner.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
This may be good news for Xbox fans now that Microsoft isn't using those restrictions, with the possible exception of the Kinect always watching you, it's also bad news for Nintendo, because now people will prefer both of its competitions over the Wii U, even if both are more expensive, in terms of both specs and library of games, and they will be dead last on the console wars like the N64 and GCN. ;_;

I wonder if my brother will be planning to buy the Xbox One because of this change.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Sorry Microsoft, but even with all these things I will not be buying your console. I feel like you killed your only decent IPs while Sony and Nintendo's are still thriving (plus no clarification on Big Brother Kinect). Though for a while I will not be buying a PS4 either, and I will be getting a Wii U when at least five games I want are on the shelves so I guess I'm riding with my PC for the meantime.

Back