• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

In your opinion who was the best girl to accompany Ash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I would evaluate in 4 different ways:

1) Beauty - May

2) Funniness - Irish

3) Niceness (With that I mean the one I would rather have as a friend) - Irish

4) (Please give reason to this) Trainer Skills - May, simply because she had blaziken, one of the strongest pokemon I have ever seen and she was the only girl to have taken her starter to final evolution. Plus, I believe Ash saw her as a competition since he seemed to try harder that season and in my opinion did accomplish much more than in any other.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I would say May, and maybe I'm too Hoenn obsessed but she did do Contest, was pretty amusing, beautiful, and a good trainer, Iris just tends to be weird to me, idk why, maybe because in the games she wait SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2013
For me its a close runner between May and Dawn. I like both their personalities and their poke-contests helped add something extra to the story so it wasn't just be-lining from gym to gym.

I think on a character alone aspect May probably wins out because of a mix of her affection when it comes to protecting Max and the character development between a girl who couldnt even stand pokemon to a skilled coordinator finally ready to go things alone.

On the other hand when it comes to all together contribution to the story and entertainment i think it comes down to Dawn and her Pokemon. All her Pokemon had unique personalities that i liked (piplup being one of my favourite pokemon characters along with zorua :D) and i think she went well with Ash.

Iris just annoys me and im constantly forgetting her name. She doesnt really seem to contribute much apart from some decent one-liners against Georgia. Her whole "such a kid" thing just irritates me.

Misty...well i cant really give a good answer here. Its been so long since we have even seen Misty. Though again she didnt really contribute much except for shutting Brock up and making me sad when she made her debut with togepi.

~CreamyChoco~

Happy new year to everyone
Years
well i really do not know all of them are nice but in my opinion i will choose dawn she is more girly than misty and may @_@ and iris

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
Out of all the girls, I only liked May. I sure miss her. She was pretty, yes, but her personality was kind and motherly which made me really like her. I think her calm loving personality would be perfect for Ash.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Even after so many new girls its still Misty and ill explain why:
In my opinion she had the best chemistry with group,providing many entertaining and funny moments making this show more interesting.She is a great character with amazing personality,and her interactions with Ash and Brock were truly classic.Her dynamics with group,doze of witty comments,sarcastic gestures,eruptions of anger provided to this show and still does whenever she appears something,which is lacking in these days. In my eyes none of girls which came after her didn't managed to encapsulate emotions, drama and tension in such genuine and endearing way which Misty provided.

Nevertheless she is also very intelligent and resourceful as person being able to adapt to any situation(which case with st.Anne arc,taking care of Ash and Tracey during OI etc).

She was type of character who didn't had easy life having to fight hard for everything she accomplished encouraging others to believe in themselves and their dreams,providing big moral support helping Ash's growth as trainer along with having several notable achievements(like winning Princess festival,Seaking competition,being among top 8 in prestige water tournament,saving people lives or towns etc).

Another thing which stand out to me about her is that she was only main character so far who trained one type wanting to become best trainer with them,learn everything she can to become water pokemon master one day.Whole dream being unexplored and undefined added that mysterious quality to Misty allowing writers to have multiple directions through which they could take whole thing which unfortunately didn't happened.

For record: Im not the one who evaluates if character was good or not by in how many episodes he starred in or if he did contests, battled a lot etc, because someone value shouldn't be measured through how much he does, but by how valuable things he contributed to show were.

For example Misty may have did less than other girls did,but that doesn't make her inferior as character because its quality which counts not quantity. Misty served as coach and motivator in main cast pushing others to try their best(thanks to her Ash became better trainer with this not being only Brock merit).
She often brought encouragement to others playing role of classical heroine saving other lives and pokemon,providing moral support.

Had great personality,bringing healthy interactions and dynamic within group containing lot of humor, tension and chemistry often turning episodes which are on first look mediocre in enjoyable ones.
Likewise she got some notable growth herself too happening gradually. Like getting over complex of feeling less worthy compared to older sisters, becoming more mature and confident over course of original series with Togepi helping her in that growth by exploring more on different sides of character while keeping that quirky, hotheaded side of hers along with improving skills as trainer.

And while i know some people are not too much supportive of this idea i would like if Misty could return as main character being interesting to see her being developed more.Writers never developed her enough with lot of potential being left untapped.

Years
Misty, she had the fiery character and when Ash or Brock did something stupid she was the one who yelled at them, It was Ash who was the unexperienced Newbie and not the female...

And at the time I loved Pokemon was only because
Ash the trainer who wanted to become Pokemon master
Not
Ash and (Insert female main character) are traveling together because one wants to become Pokemon master but he always fails so we are adding a female character that reaches the top while Ash is makng more money for us in a new region

May, Dawn and Iris are tools for the fans to see someone have sucses and a well character devolepment and Ash just losing everything and keeps traveling to fail

Thats why I liked Misty she gave me the feeling that Ash would ever become a Pokemon master aslong as she isn't traveling with Ash he won't become a master..

Last edited:

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
I think Misty. It was great teamwork and chemistry. I think it was special at that time. Nowadays when I hear a new season is coming etc I immediatly think: "hmmm... Who will be the new disposable female?" Also I thought it was great how Misty lectured Ash and Brock around. :D Also I think her departure from the main cast had the biggest impact. Atleast personally. :/

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Misty, she kept Ash top of his game simply because the chemistry of opposites attract was constantly there....

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Gotta go with May. I liked that it wasn't her initial goal to become a coordinator, and that transition was handled very well. It gradually introduced the concept of Contests to the anime in a way that wasn't as overwhelming as if she had started the season with wanting to compete in them.

Also I like her hair.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
Years
I liked May the most. I'm not even sure why, I guess I feel like I'd get along best with her out of all of them. I really love her. Misty is a close second, but yeah, May first.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Whenever I think about the Pokémon anime, which I haven't watched in years (Evidently) I picture Misty. I remember so many cool moments with her, Brock, and Ash. From the sinking ship, to the giant prehistoric Pokémon, to the bike she never got repaired (to my knowledge)

xVaporeon

used bubblebeam!
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 25, 2022
Misty, for sure.

Misty was amazing, I don't know why so many people ship May/Dawn with Ash. No hate against your ships, just my opinion, but the chemistry they had was beautiful.
I may be biased as the old anime is my favourite, but I think it all depends on how they first met and Misty was the perfect person to be with Ash - she helped him so much throughout everything c:
Aw, I miss Misty!

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
May, just by a bit over Misty. All of the girls are somewhat ignorant besides Misty, but May seemed to be more real than the rest. She just fit well with the group and plus Hoenn is one of my favorite regions, second to Johto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back