• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people that make fun of you for play PKMN?

Nomine

サトセレ
Years
Most of the time when people ask what I'm playing, I just tell them the truth. Many times, however, the people who berate me for playing Pokémon play other "kids" or other games like Pokémon themselves, such as Yu-Gi-Oh or things like that. I just find it a bit funny when they suggest I play Yu-Gi-Oh or Bakugan or something like that instead. I can deal with the criticism though. I play what I want! xD

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
It doesn't happen. Most people just note the fact that they wouldn't have guessed me to be a Pokémon person. I'm 18, male, and going into the military. Pokémon IS for everybody though lol

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 28, 2013
I'm in college now, and I don't hang out on campus, so I don't get any crap about it.
I work at an after school program with elementary kids, though, and whenever I wear my POkemon shirts, they're all "OMG POKEMONNNN" or "WOW YOU STILL PLAY POKEMON?? :DDD" so I guess it's a good thing.

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2014
I never have really gotten any trouble from others poking fun at me for still liking it lately, but when I did, I just didn't care what they thought. But what I always said was that I will always be a Pokemon fan because it was really popular when I was a kid and I'll always be a kid at heart. Not to mention Pokemon is the second largest video game franchise, last I checked, under Mario.

Years
When I was in school, waaay back when Pokemon first came out, I was about 14 and Pokemon were cool. Everyone was actually into.
So no one made of eachother.
And now that I am 26, I have friends who loves playing games,whether it's xbox, playstation or PC, we're all into different types of game.
Im the one who's into Pokemon. And they don't make fun of me.

My advice to deal with it will be : everyone of us is unique, we have our own hobbies and interests. Ours is Pokemon. It's not childish or for kiddies. It's an interest.
The haters should deal with it.

Years
I don't really get teased that much about playing pokemon, even though I am in college. Most people I hang out with (or hanged out with) plays/played pokemon. The only time I can really think of being teased was in middle school and it ended with me punching him in the nose. Yeah, not the greatest of ways to deal with it but I didn't get teased anymore XD

Vicktor Black

Still Working on Red Frost
Years
I have had plenty of things people teased me about I mostly just ignored them or told them that i don't make fun of them for what they play or do some were reasonable while others needed a bit more talking to to get them off my back.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Though i've never really been teased the only way to deal with those people is to just not give a ****

Ice Car

Banned
Years
"**** Off"

Conversation end.

Not that I get many people telling me that anyway. Everyone who sees me playing it at school actually does play it and there's generally a lot of acceptance about it. I'm in High School, by the way. Someone the other day also just walked up and asked me how the new Pokemon was.

Years
Quite a few of my friends either play or used to play Pokemon religiously, so I don't catch a lot of flack. There usually is the odd person here or there though and I usually either ignore them or say "you have things you think are fun, I have mine."

Although hiding behind nostalgia usually works too, haha

drpoplove

Super Saiyan and Stuff
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2012
I'm lucky that most of my friends are way into gaming in general so there isn't any teasing going on. But there have been cases and I usually respond with something like, 'dude it's just a game, you like dumb things such as ____ as well,' and that shuts them up.

Years
Somehow I always end up making Pokemon sound like the best game ever and just tell them what other games that I play that can be compared to Pokemon.

Friend: You still play Pokemon?
Me: Yea, unless you can tell me there is some other RPG that let you choose between 600+ different classes and let you have a party of six I think I will just stick to this.
Friend: Isn't that for kids?
Me: Sometimes I just want to play a casual game. If I want to play something hardcore I would play Nocturne.
Friend: What is Nocturne?
Me: Shin Megami Tensei 3, also known as Lucifer's Call in the UK due to some copyright thing with the name. You know, the game with demons?
Friend: wait what?
Me: You are turn into a half demon yourself when the world ends and you have to recruit other demons to even stand a chance. You can recruit the White Rider, Satan, and some other demons from other religion like Hindu and other stuff as well.
Friend: Dude that sound awesome! (at this point I show him a youtube clip or if he is at my house just play a small example of the game)
Me: Yea but it is kinda hard and it is basically just like Pokemon. I play Pokemon to take a break from this sometimes. Pokemons are pretty much demons anyway, read the dex sometimes. Some of their stuff are kinda dark even for adults. (At this point explain a few like Cubone wearing the skull of his mother, Drifloon steal children, Yamask remembering his past life and cry into his mask, etc.)

Basically I give him something that is already cool (mostly dark & edgy) that he have no choice but to agree it is cool then compare it to Pokemon until he understand Pokemon is just as cool just in it's own way.

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 4, 2016
Random idiot: "Omg, you still play Pokemon?!!!1one!

Me: "Yes. Is there a problem? If there is, kindly remove yourself from my sight. I don't particularly care about anything you want to say."

BanditThePikachu

The Raichu of awesome
Years
I just ignore them.
We all have our own interests, and I don't let it get to me if they think me playing Pokemon is immature or stupid.
They just have to understand the fact that I like what I like and I don't care what others think about me.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Never really get made fun of. Still a lot of people around my town who like the games just not the show and stuff. But I would probably just ignore them

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
With living in West Chicago no one down here really gives a ****. Not once have I had a problem with anyone knowin I play Pokemon. The employees at GameStop even know I play Pokemon and they don't care. It could also be my age group as well. At about the age 19 or 20 hell even 18 after you graduate nothing ever an issue. It's childish to make fun of someone for playing Pokemon whether they be 12 or 24. My age group; people don't judge cos lots of them actually play it. When I was in High School I got teased alot and bullied for it. They made the wrong decision ****in with me in High School and he got laid out. Ever since then which was my Sophmore year, no one said a word about it. But it's usually high schoolers cos they wanna get attention. Honestly idk what it is in high school cos you don't see this stuff in college.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2015
Ppl just get very inmature when it comes to this type stuff i like pokemon and yu-gi-oh im 19 and i was a star athlete ppl can be harsh just shrugg it off and go on with life

Eps

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
I'm 25 and I have never been asked to jusitfy why I play Pokemon to anyone. I sit at work and play it next to people up to the age of 65.

"What's that? A PSP or something?"
"No it's a Nintendo DS"
"What are you playing?"
"Pokemon"
"Ha my kids used to be into that"
"Yea it's awesome"

10 mins later

"Did you beat your score"

Back