• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What influences your team more? Favorites or Power?

Captain Falcon

Gotta go fast
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2013
When building a team, what do you factor in more? your favorites, or the abilities of the Pokemon?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I like a bit of both - I have a ton of favorites so when I'm making teams I tend to lean towards my favs that have a little backbone to them, like for instance I like Pachirisu a lot but I've never used it in DPPt for that reason.

Years
I always prefer to use my favorite Pokemon moreso than just those that are powerful (some of them, like Aggron, happen to overlap between the two, though).

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Favourites, no question. Only then does the game be fun, and not some fruitless robo-driving type exercise.

Years
Usually it's the design of the Pokemon, movepool effectiveness, stats and abilities that factor into my team-building. I'm pretty strict because if I get the wrong ability, I release it and catch another one until I get the perfect team member.

I'm just like Paul in the anime lol

blue

gucci
Years
Favorites for sure, I never base it off power. The majority of my teams usually have a maximum BST of 480.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
A combination of both, my favorites are all quite powerful in my opinion. Though competitive players claim otherwiseXD

The ideal team member is either fast or has high defenses, has good offensive stats, and a good movepool.

I'm really fond of stat raising moves, for some reason. So I tend to pick pokemon that got access to them.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Power plus a dash of favourites. The stats and the abilities of each of my Pokemon are highly taken into account, and if the stats of the Pokemon I'm aiming for isn't what I have in mind, it immediately gets switched out with another of better stats (with careful consideration, of course). The movepools must be good enough and the stats must benefit the moves it can use. If a team were to be based entirely on favourites, it won't be exactly a winning team in my opinion. Most of my favourites are also quite powerful, so there's no worry in this. c:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
My main influence is favorite. I try to keep mostly my favorites when playing. I'll try and figure out a way to make them work (using movepools and abilities), even if I have to struggle most of the way. That challenge is what makes it fun for me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 29, 2019
It's both for me, I try not to lean too heavily on either side though lest my team actually becomes so powerful that there's no real challenge or worse if I pick a random crop of favorites that don't live up to my expectations.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
Pretty much all evolved Pokémon can do well if used correctly, so I've never really felt that I need to prioritize only the very strongest ones.
Besides, it's an enjoyable challenge trying to get the most out of also the weaker Pokés!

So yeah, my teams are made up of Pokémon I like. I do however have a certain need to not have any two Pokémon be the same type...

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
I definitely go off favorites. No point in going through the journey without the fun of your favs. I consider types when it comes to the E4, since you have to unless you're at like level 100 lol. But I still use my favorites of each type.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
There are two things that are the deciding factor of which teams that I have in a Pokémon game: their stats & their move-pools. I could care less what a Pokémon looks like, as long as both of those are satisfactory, I'll likely use it on my party.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I usually choose pokemon I like. I am not going to use a pokemon that I hate. A lot of my favorite pokemon end up in my teams, but not always.

I also go by types. I always need to have the main three types (Grass, Fire, Water) and an Electric type. I also need a pokemon that can use Fly. The rest of team usually varies, but I tend to have a Bug type, but it isn't essential like the other types.

Navy Blue

Artist
Years
For me it's a bit of both; on my PC I have party 1, party 2, etc.
Strongest party is first as weakest is last; but whoever is in Party 1 are all my favorites, weak or strong, so I guess I would prefer favorites.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on—the Champion is waiting."
- Karen of the Johto Elite Four.

This pretty much sums up me when it comes to picking teams. Usually I just pick my favorites and don't focus on stats. While stats a bit for me, they're not the key thing I look at when choosing Pokemon my team. Yeah, I try to have only Pokemon with decent stats , but most of the time I just pick Pokemon I really like.

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2014
Personally, I don't focus on power-based Pokémon, I tend to use my favorites, for example, I would use a Gardevoir rather than an Alakazam.

Back