• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Hey that looks pretty nice! Keep up the good work. {:3} As for the top, maybe add like an abandoned mill or like a run down shack thing. Haha >_>

I made a mockup of the new starter town. I WILL be editing it and possibly even making it larger. I didn't add any detail because i new i was going to change it.

Spoiler:

P.S. Thanks go to Harvey_Create for helping me fix my tileset errors! :D

Looking Good man. I like the tiles. As for designing, it looks cool with that set up, but just needs to be bordered, and have some more decoration (possibly a little park or something)

@Harvey_Create. I made it just like you said. Feed back and opinions are always appreciated

pokemon_morning_night_newbud_town__revised_by_ahmad2334-d6e00u2.png

Its getting better. Still need to fix the trees on your exit. I also just noticed you Houses shadow and your labs Shadows dont match. They go opposite direction. (might want to fix that :P PM me is you can't and i can try for you)

Last edited:

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Here is one of the first Route i made with my new Tiles. It is a recreation of my Route 51

2r4hidx.png

Critiques?

*EDIT* i realized i pasted the maps together awkwardly, so the trees bases are off on the lower left, i know

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Huzzah! Made a map that will actually be in my game. So basically, this map is the first one you will need to navigate outside of your home town. Within the map you'll be able to meet the Professor with no name staring at a pond with water Pokémon. This is where you'll be given the opportunity to start your adventure.
the_path_to_your_journey__by_lostsoulsdev-d6ey41j.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Here is one of the first Route i made with my new Tiles. It is a recreation of my Route 51

Spoiler:

Critiques?

*EDIT* i realized i pasted the maps together awkwardly, so the trees bases are off on the lower left, i know

I really like it. The tiles also look excellent. ^^ Are there going to be trainers on one side of the path?

Huzzah! Made a map that will actually be in my game. So basically, this map is the first one you will need to navigate outside of your home town. Within the map you'll be able to meet the Professor with no name staring at a pond with water Pokémon. This is where you'll be given the opportunity to start your adventure.
Spoiler:

I like this one as well! Nice work! ^^

Last edited:

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
the_path_to_your_journey__by_lostsoulsdev-d6ey41j.png

Looking really good man! only suggestion is to make the waters outline to match our cliff or something like that.

I really like it. The tiles also look excellent. ^^ Are there going to be trainers on one side of the path?

I like this one as well! Nice work! ^^

If your talking about the left side, maybe one. Thats the way to get back easier. I am also editting the colors for the tiles, so it will look better. :P

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Ok I finished up my starter town. I still am going to tweak it and all that. I might make most of it into a snowish town, and it will be located north or the region. Soooo, how about it?

starter_town_by_0_rufus-d6ez4ev.png

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
The new Route 4, to Sable City. It connect to the southern part of the end of Route 3
51f07708aba86.jpg

My starting town
Spoiler:

Kronos, I like the lab pen and cave. The house on the ridge is nice too. I'd play around with snowifying(dirt tiles too) everything upto the red line in the spoiler.
Spoiler:

carmaniac, It's good. The water in the south is a route right? Your rock placement is a bit too uniform to my eye, such as the places with a rock above and below a ledge.

Last edited:

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Ok I finished up my starter town. I still am going to tweak it and all that. I might make most of it into a snowish town, and it will be located north or the region. Soooo, how about it?

starter_town_by_0_rufus-d6ez4ev.png

Your map is quite large. unless you plan on adding more trees, or possibly more house, Its going to be too open.

Or try squeezing the map a bit. Sorry, i just dont like large maps that have 3 houses. :L

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Kronos, I like the lab pen and cave. The house on the ridge is nice too. I'd play around with snowifying(dirt tiles too) everything upto the red line in the spoiler.
Your map is quite large. unless you plan on adding more trees, or possibly more house, Its going to be too open.Or try squeezing the map a bit. Sorry, i just dont like large maps that have 3 houses. :L

Ok I worked on it a bit -
starter_town_by_0_rufus-d6f0ig1.png

lauerolus: I tried to follow the outline and made it snowy. ^^ I am going to add in a snowy grass tile, so I just kept it normal grass since I didn't add it yet. I will draw a new tile so the dirt transitions to the snow a lot smoother. As well as making a whole snowy tree rather than half of it being snowy.

Harvey: I added 2 houses and put in more trees to try and make it feel rather closed. After looking at all the open spaces I didn't like it as much. >_>

Housing:
~Top left is obviously the lab. The cave is a special habitat location for the professor to study and that is where you choose your starter.
~Bottom left is just an NPC house.
~Middle fairly large house is the Rival's house. He's is a rich kid..
~Top right is the player's house. Not as rich but rich enough to get a 2 story house.
~Bottom right (near entrance) is another NPC house.

Hope you like it! ^^

Last edited:

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Waaay to much tall grass, Kronos. The ledges also don't make much sense, as they are easy to avoid =/. the line where the snow start also doesn't look good to me.

You should space out the patches of grass, making the majority of them unable to avoid, and make sure you can't easily walk around ledges.

Hope this helps you!

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Updated Route 01 woot woot woot
Elarmasecreta
I took away alot of tall grass but kept enough to my liking. :) Also fixed the ledges at the bottom! So what about now?
route_01_by_0_rufus-d6fajo7.png

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Kronos, the map looks nice, however, Depending on which way you're going, you'll only stay on either the top or bottom half of the map. I made this example map, to show you how you can utilize both halves.
811b.png

Also, I'd like some comments on my map as well ^.^;

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Elarmasecreta, Your map looks nice, but maybe you should change some of the houses. There are too many of that one plain color. Add variety and it will be not so depressing.. :P

KirakonGxi, It looks nice. ^^ I like those tiles, they look different from what I've seen lately. The only thing I see is that house error where there is one on top of the other, cutting it off. If you're trying to make a 2 story house, just modify the normal house in something like paint.net. It is really easy to just cut and paste parts onto other parts, as long as they fit into the tileset grid.

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Updated Route 01 woot woot woot
Elarmasecreta
I took away alot of tall grass but kept enough to my liking. :) Also fixed the ledges at the bottom! So what about now?
route_01_by_0_rufus-d6fajo7.png

*Sigh* sorry for my critique, but i see a lot of problems

If coming from the left,

Your route is pretty much a walkway. You can avoid ALL the grass.

I dont like the fact the ledges are STILL easy to pass, and in weird places. It would be different is the were facing the opposite direction.

IF FROM THE RIGHT

Essentially the same thing.

Also,
You have tress on the mountain with a green bottom part when it is a rock.

Your grass doesnt have a border for transitioning with snow. Same with the trees. It looks to perfectly even .

ℨᶾanana

✪ Dragons Lead ✪
Years
KirakonGxi, It looks nice. ^^ I like those tiles, they look different from what I've seen lately. The only thing I see is that house error where there is one on top of the other, cutting it off. If you're trying to make a 2 story house, just modify the normal house in something like paint.net. It is really easy to just cut and paste parts onto other parts, as long as they fit into the tileset grid.

Actually that is two-story house lol.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
@Kronos, that would probably mean I have to do some spriting. XD I tried using different types of houses, but it would always end up looking weird... =/

@Kirakon: First off, other than the building's tiles, I'm no fan of the tiles.

Secondly, there are a few things which struck me as odd. The northern exit of the town seems half blocked by the mart, not really nice looking. the Pokecenter is also a long walk away from either exit, making the walk to and from it rather annoying. Near the western exit is a sign with a tree directly in front of it... =/ Oh, and the streetlight at the north-eastern corner seems useless.

I think you went a bit overboard with bushes and flowers as well. It strikes me as odd that the path near the mart is interrupted by flowers.

EDIT: Ooh, I just noticed something, near the western exit, one of the cliffs just ends, making it look unnatural.

Hope this helps you!

ℨᶾanana

✪ Dragons Lead ✪
Years
@Kronos, that would probably mean I have to do some spriting. XD I tried using different types of houses, but it would always end up looking weird... =/

@Kirakon: First off, other than the building's tiles, I'm no fan of the tiles.

Secondly, there are a few things which struck me as odd. The northern exit of the town seems half blocked by the mart, not really nice looking. the Pokecenter is also a long walk away from either exit, making the walk to and from it rather annoying. Near the western exit is a sign with a tree directly in front of it... =/ Oh, and the streetlight at the north-eastern corner seems useless.

I think you went a bit overboard with bushes and flowers as well. It strikes me as odd that the path near the mart is interrupted by flowers.

Hope this helps you!

That why i need some feedback!. Thanks bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back