• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
HEY GUYS just try to keep this conversation more roleplaying and less gaming, 'kay? Love all your enthusiasm though!

We don't have to listen to you! :<

Lol, although the little "gaming" convo does relate to the RP discussion. Just on how the game mechanics would translate into a RP, lol.

But y'all heard the mayun of the sky! Stop gaming!
//I'm tired, okay? Leave me alone. xD

Oooh . . . what is the general opinion of using legendaries in RPs? If the use is required for story purposes?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Skyrim will use her ultra powerful sword if you don't listen to her. Jsyk. ;)

Well, as as long as the player using them doesn't overpower them in the roleplay, i have no problem with them being used. However, i am sorta against using legendaries in pokemon roleplays, as they have higher stats and powerful moves, I'd bench them.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Leafy: Still waiting to hear your opinion on characters for the RP.

Nakuzami, if there are ever legendaries, I expect that they must be relevant to the story. The only case where players should be legendary if /everyone/ is.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Certain legendaries, such as the dogs, birds, the lake trio, and Mew are really not all that powerful and can be easily beaten by many pokemon of a relative strength. Legendary status does not denote strength. For instance, the lake trio is pretty pathetic across the board in battle. Only one of them has respectable offenses combined with above average speed, and that one is fragile and still outclassed by such things as Alakazam, a pokemon who has been repeatedly shafted each generation.

Legendary status doesn't denote strength or even the ability to win a fight in any way. It mostly just denotes some sort of extraordinary ability, which could be as useless as being able to generate marshmallows out of thin air. While I don't normally recommend using the competitive metagame in RP for any reason, I might in this case recommend simply giving the Ubers tier a quick glance to see which legendary pokemon are considered broken/god tier in power. In this case, it's a pretty good indication of which pokemon are realistically too powerful in RP.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
Years
what is the general opinion of using legendaries in RPs? If the use is required for story purposes?

I've RPed several times with Legendary Pokemon plotstuffs, in whatever way. (Receiving Legendaries, getting the power of Legendaries, and currently having been a Legendary in a past life. ^^) It can be incredibly fun!

But like PkmnTrainerYellow said, you have to be careful to limit their powers or choose Pokemon. For example, in one of the RPs, Celebi didn't have its time travelling capabilities because that would seriously mess up an RP. :)

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
I'm sorry about the inactivity everyone. I had an amazing girlfriend that I had to spend time with...She just left me for some other guy. I'm dreadfully sorry, but I need to take a leave of absence. I'm seriously depressed :(

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
Wheeee hey kids sorry about submissions. Ill get those done tomorrow after work! (Which'll be hopefully 5pm +10!)

In other news, how about a topic? A little overdone buuuuuut...

What first drew you to roleplaying?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years

Ah, you know - as a fanfic writer, I was excited, because it's kinda like fan fiction (and yes, before anyone argues, I know it ~feels~ like fa fiction, but it's really not). You're your own character and you get to do a lot of things! Sort of a escape-out-of-reality sort of thing, you know?

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023

In essence I was starting to write some stories for another website and when I would show them to my friend to proof read he saw that I really didn't get into the character's head and have him act like a character. He suggested that I try roleplaying and getting into character that way. I also had played some D&D so when my group broke up I still wanted to roleplay with others.

Nakuzami

Years

Bwabwabwabwabwa . . . I have no idea. I think it's just because I liked writing, and I had never done such collaborative writing (or much of any at that point) so I thought it would be interesting.
But it was three years ago.
I was eleven.
You can't expect me to remember anything! >:U

Heyeyeyeyeyey, new topics? I dunno if they're any good, but whatever, lol.

How do you go about writing your in-character posts? Your Sign-Ups?
What types of roleplays do you like?
What traits do many of your characters seem to share?
Why do your write? For fun or for some other reason?

//pfft, whatever, lol. I'm no good at these things. xD

Ash_Ketchum123

That one guy
Years
ACE found a TOPIC!

tbh, this place, Roleplay Corner of PC, drew me to roleplaying. When I stumbled here 2 and a half years ago, I stumbled upon the RP section and stalked some threads. While reading them, I felt that tug inside me. That tug that told me "you know you want to try this, Ace." So, I did. And what I found out was that RPing was like playing the game, only you had more freedom to control your character, and the plot was a lot more flexible. I got hooked, and voila, RPer Ace was born.

That, and I like flying away from reality, and RPs are generally a great outlet for that /nodnod

Off-topic, is it just me, or is the RP Corner as dead as it was when I left? :/

EDIT: Wow, I'm derping out a lot on the forums >.<

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
What drew me to roleplaying was probably the endless possibilities, the fact that I loved writing but was too lazy to finish a fic of my own and the idea of creating something epic together with others.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
What drew me to RPing... It was Starsprite! She was creating her Synchronicity RP and told me all about it suggesting I should join, so I thought "why not" and signed up and I loved it - then I joined a few more and I've even gotten round to creating my own. So blame her for that :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
What drew me to roleplaying?

Well, initially, I wrote a fanfiction and when I started encouraging ideas from the readers, someone said it was very much like a roleplay. After I made my own, I loved how interaction works between people and characters and plus, I like writing!

Oh, kids, by the way, I was cruising around on Kickstarter and I found a cool thing that may help with creating RP storylines (or even character backgrounds or something). I think the original idea was to use it for Nanowrimo but i think it may be useful for some of you kids. (clicky me btw)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Well, before entering the world of roleplay, I was curious about the RP corner here on PC, and I always checked it out. This was...um...one year ago (or year and a half? Rika was mod here when I started lurking lol). I was confused to the fact on *how* these members do "roleplay" like, do they create a story between each other or what? Those questions were answered eventually.

I joined the roleplay corner because...when I was a mod a few months ago, my section was always tame and quiet, so I wanted to try out new things on PC. Roleplaying became one of them, so after lurking for one year, I joined PTA. And y'all know the story from there. lol

Overall, I blame PC for getting me into roleplay, and today, it has become my primary internet hobby. I'm going to start roleplaying at another forum once I am done with finals after Thursday, and I'm going to release my first non-Pokemon roleplay sometime this month. :)

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
What drew me to roleplaying was very odd, actually. Before joining PC, I liked looking at the ROM hacks here, because they all just WOWed me. But one day, I accidentally wandered over here, and clicked on one of the threads. I absolutely LOVED the story and it gace me one more reason to join PC. (By wandered I mean I clicked her on accident :))

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
What drew me to roleplaying was very odd, actually. Before joining PC, I liked looking at the ROM hacks here, because they all just WOWed me. But one day, I accidentally wandered over here, and clicked on one of the threads. I absolutely LOVED the story and it gave me one more reason to join PC. (By wandered I mean I clicked her on accident :))

What he said.

-Supevegeta, King of the Roleplayers, Leader of PC, Real Moderator, Your God, Your Holy One, All the Good Stuff

Nakuzami

Years
What drew me to roleplaying was very odd, actually. Before joining PC, I liked looking at the ROM hacks here, because they all just WOWed me. But one day, I accidentally wandered over here, and clicked on one of the threads. I absolutely LOVED the story and it gace me one more reason to join PC. (By wandered I mean I clicked her on accident :))

That's actually what drew me to PC in the first place, lol. I wanted to learn how to do ROM Hacking thingies . . .
. . . it didn't work out very well. xD (Anything beyond mapping is beyond me, especially scripting. That's what my boyfriend is for, lol)

BTW, I think somebody should make a zombie roleplay based around Dead Island (if y'all still adore zombies, that is)
//just saying

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hacking is what brought me here as well. I was twelve then and I was infatuated with the idea of hacking. I learned a lot, and I still have a good bit of scripting knowledge in my head (now with C++!). I never actually gave up hacking, but in recent months I started to feel as if I could go on to something bigger. I don't remember exactly why I wondered on to the Roleplay boards (I think that was either 2008 or 2009, not really sure), but when I did, I became enthralled with the idea of being in a new story in a pokemon backdrop that was so immersive that the games, none of them to date, could match it.

...Then I tried my hand at roleplaying. For a 12 year old, I will say it wasn't a terrible event, but I wasn't too quick to grasp the concept of everything. Granted, I did know that it wasn't a video game, I guess I was overwhelmed by the amount of quality that had to go into making a character and participating. After one bad experience, I stayed away.

So, as for the current reason and the answer to the question, I'm an aspiring game developer, and I needed mediums to develop my writing skills, create interesting characters, and make an interesting story. Remembering the RP Corner here, I returned to PC to try my now more experienced hand at roleplaying.

Though whether I'm actually good at it is another story -.-'

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2013
I've rpged on Comicvine, and Last World respectively. Those sites are Hero and or supernatrual based, but they don't have a following for Pokemon rpg's. That's why I came here, but all the ones here are so far along, it'd take forever just to get caught up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back