• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Butterfly Lovers (Contestshipping)

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2006
I posted my fanfic at serebii too, but anyway. It's my first fic, after lots and lots of inspiration. It might sound somewhat not original, but its based on the chinese folk story The Butterfly Lovers.

Synopsis: May and Drew meet on the ferry on the way to their next Grand Festival. It's been about five years since their one in Hoenn, and Robert has retired after winning 3 times. Drew wins his first GF in the previous Grand Festival. After 3 tries, May finally gets past the Top 4 and advances into Top 2. Anyway, the ship sinks, forcing the two to share a lifeboat while finding land. Finally coming upon an unknown region, they have no choice but to wait for a cruise ship that wouldn't be dropping by the area for another couple of months. They stay near the region and wait the months out.

The Butterfly Lovers:
Act 1
Rating: G

Butterfly Lovers

A golden trophy cup, intricately trimmed in solid gold, sat inside a previously polished glass display box gleamed alluringly towards a teenaged girl who lingered nearby. Approaching the box, she lifted her hands and placed them carefully on the box, while gently leaning forward.
"Hmm, this time I won't lose the Grand Festival!" she stated to herself, her eyes sharpening from the determination from those words.
"Enthusiasm won't get you anywhere, but hey, I see that you've made it into the Grand Festival again. I'm quite surprised," a new voice sneered. Whipping herself around, the girl came to realize she was face to face with her greatest rival, Drew. There he stood, his hands in his pockets, nonchalantly looking at May, his green hair nearly covering his eyes, yet at the same time neatly pulled away from his face. Though it had been many years since they had first met, he had kept the same clothes, a lightweight purple jacket with a black shirt underneath, along with turquoise pants. She gave him a head to toe look, all while thinking, It's been 5 years since our first Grand Festival together, you'd think he'd show me a little more respect by now!

"I've seen you at every Grand Festival since the Hoenn one so many years ago, I'm every bit as good as a coordinator as YOU!" her voice rising in a steady crescendo, until she was practically shouting. The girl towered over Drew, standing on her tippy toes with her fist clenched- she was almost about to hit him.

" Yeah, but you've also lost to me all five times in the Grand Festival Miss Coordinator. I don't recall YOU taking home a Ribbon Cup yet, whereas I've got one already. Anyway MAY, I'd check your skirt if I were you," Drew replied, still smirking. May shrunk back, confused at what he said about her skirt.

"What do you mean, my skirt? It's perfectly fine.." May trailed off, while slightly turning crimson.

" Look in the mirror genius, I'm not going to point it out for you," laughed Drew as he gave his trademark two fingered wave while sauntering away.

Ugh That Drew, he never changes does he? Well, I'll show him, May thought, passing by a full-length mirror. Her eyes glanced at the mirror before abruptly stopping. Jaw dropping and eyes widening, she realized that from all the excitement of boarding the ferry to the Grand Festival, she had put on her skirt inside out. She turned bright red and cried out from embarrassment before racing back to her quarters.

Inside her room, she quickly changed her skirt so that it was put on the right way. Sighing to herself, she examined herself in the bathroom mirror, to make sure she didn't have any other appearance faux pas. May wore a red zip-up shirt and a white skirt that hugged her tightly above the knees. Her hair was tied up into two parts, and she had a bandana that she tied on her head-it was her trademark. Strangely enough for May, she had slight dark circles underneath her eyes, for she couldn't sleep the night before from all the excitement she had to endure. Regardless, she would try to remain energetic throughout the day.

Down at the dining hall, Drew sat with his Roselia, taking bites out of his dinner while chuckling to himself. He could only imagine May's reaction was when she saw her skirt. It was almost as though he could hear her scream when she checked herself. Still laughing, he was interrupted by a quick slap in the head- it pushed his face into the table. Looking over, he saw May standing over him, with her hands on her hips.

"Why didn't you tell me! It's not like anything was showing!!! Did you know how many people looked at me funny the whole time?!?!" she yelled.

"Your fault you were so careless that you put on your CLOTHES wrong!" retorted Drew. May browsed around the hall before realizing all seats were taken. She grabbed the rest of Drew's dinner and huffily sat down next to Drew, before commencing to eat his dinner.

"HEY!! What do you think you're doing?!" he shouted, yanking his dinner back.

"Fine, let me starve," she whined, and sat silently next to him, arms crossed. Drew took one glance at May before bursting out in laughter again.
She glared at him, "WHAT NOW?!"

"Nice bra strap May," he teased, "Did you tear your shirt on the way out?"

"AAGGHHHHHH" May growled, turning red. She slammed her hands on the table, before saying , "I'm so tired of you!! I'm going to bed." Drew stared at her while she ran away, only slightly aware that the entire hall had quieted down and were observing the previous commotion. Waves of giggles spread, and Drew turned pink as he realized people were whispering about May and him.

Behind her room door, May leaned against her door and buried her face in her hands. What now?, they both thought to themselves as they stared off into space (thinking of the day's events).

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have two chapters written actually, but I'll see how this one goes over here first. :) I look forward to see what you guys have to say to help me get better.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2006
Yeah, I actually finished act 2 today just recently. Sooo guess what? Yup! An Update!

Rating: G

Act 2:
Tired and worn out, May walked out of her bathroom toweling her wet hair- she had just taken a shower. She trudged over to her bed, dragging her feet- her eyes half closed. On her nightstand lay a small bottle of sleeping pills. I'm so tired today, I might as well take one and sleep in all day. With a small swig of water, she swallowed the pill and continued to wrap herself around her blanket. In a few minutes, her breathing changed from shallow and quick to long and deep. She had completely forgotten that she forgot to close her door.

It was only seven o'clock in the evening, and Drew had finally finished dinner. Scanning the ferry, he concluded that there was nothing else to do, and decided to head back to his room. While walking, his mind began to drift- recalling memories of many years ago, when he first met May and the amusing rivalry they had. Unconsciously, he found himself leaning against the railing, looking out onto the sea- so deep in thought.
I hope you're not planning to enter the contest with a cheesy act like THAT. If you must know, I'm Drew, Pokemon Coordinator. His own words echoed in his head as he began thinking about how much May had changed over the years. I have to admit, she WAS a horrible coordinator back in the day. Frisbee throwing? Please. It's so different now, how I now see her as a strong rival, someone I actually need to try to beat in a Contest. She's only gotten better, and she almost beat me in the Final Round last year in the Grand Festival. At least I won. The cool mist of the ocean sprayed against his face, and the moon lit a small path-like light along the ocean, giving him a shadow. Drew stared at his shadow, before closing his eyes and letting the memories of their preteen years wash over him.

A funny sound reverberated throughout the ship- it was one that sounded like metal on metal, churning, screeching and squealing. Breaking Drew out of his own thoughts, he instantly became alert while investigating what exactly happened. Before he could find out, a PA system with the captain's voice spoke out, "We seem to have hit a gargantuan rock that happened to pass by unnoticed by our navigational systems. For safety, please board onto the safety boats." Gosh, luckily there are so few people on this ferry, so almost everyone gets their own boat Drew thought to himself, lightly jogging his way towards the lifeboat. He then suddenly remembered that May had gone to bed early- he hadn't seen her at all throughout the night. Feeling slightly more urgent, he sprinted to May's door (which luckily was open) and saw her, innocently sleeping.

"MAY! Wake up, the ship is sinking!" shouted Drew, power-walking over to her bedside. Shaking her, he had hoped that it would wake her up; but he looked at her bedside and realized that she had taken a sleeping pill. Not now!!!! He thought, as he started shaking her frantically.

"Please make your way to the lifeboats immediately, the bottom storage area of the ship has already been partially flooded," the PA system announced.
Don't slap me when you wake up, Drew thought, as he tore the blankets off of May. Seizing all her clothes and pokeballs, he stuffed them into his own bag before wrapping his arms around May's torso. This won't work, I can't carry her like this, he thought, and instead put one arm under her back for support, and one underneath her legs. As if it were an instinct, May sleepily wrapped her arms around Drew's neck, and nuzzled closely onto his shoulder- still sleeping and dreaming. Jeez, sleeping a little deep there. Drew glanced at her, still running to catch the last lifeboat.

Gently laying May onto one of the seats, he hopped down to the lifeboat before lowering the boat down to the ocean. Noticing that the boat had an emergency engine, he switched it on and drove as far away from the sinking ship as possible, to avoid the current that could drag their boat down to the ocean with them- stopping when all was finally silent. With a slight frown, he looked back and forth between the sinking ship and May, before shaking his head and laying himself down so that they could sleep. At least this lifeboat is really good quality, it's like a mini-boat with almost everything we need. His eyes passed May and he realized that although they were indoors, she still had nothing to cover herself. Without thinking, he threw his purple jacket over her, for he had taken the extra blanket (he wasn't going to share a blanket with May). He continued staring at her, his thoughts running wild with the thought that they were now stranded in the ocean. Throwing the blanket over himself, he closed his eyes and fell into a trance-like sleep.

A large ship approached the plethora of lifeboats scattered throughout the ocean. Blowing its horn, a sailor shouted to the remaining crew from the ferry that they were there to get the coordinators to the Grand Festival. Drew's eyes shot open, and he clambered out of the bench before waving frantically to the sailors. "OVER HERE!!!" he shouted, trying to create a ruckus. Realizing that he had driven the boat too far for any of the crew to see, he began to reach for his Pokemon. "Masquerain! Hurry go over to the ship and tell the crew to get us help!" Drew called. To no avail, the ship had already begun to depart for the Grand Festival- Masquerain desperately sped towards the ship, trying its best to catch up. Knowing that it was hopeless, Drew withdrew Masquerain, and slumped down onto his bench. We are in so much more trouble than I thought…
------------------------Morning Approaches----------------

May's eyes fluttered gently open, still slightly unaware of the fact that she was no longer in her sleeping quarters. Turning to her side, she was perturbed to find herself on the ground with a thud. She sat up rapidly, observing the unfamiliar boat surroundings around her. Her eyes traveled downwards, and at the same time, her hands flew off what she thought was a blanket- it was a lightweight purple jacket that seemed much too familiar to her. Aghast, May turned to see Drew, still asleep on the other side of the bench. I wonder what happened, why am I here, and with DREW? He's got a LOT of explaining to do!!! An attempt to get on her feet caused her to fall straight back down to the ground; she was still experiencing the after-effects of the sleeping pill.

"Can you be any louder?" Drew looked at her, an exasperated expression on his face.

" What exactly happened last night?" May inquired, a suspicious look creeping up on her face.

"Simple, while you were off in Dreamland the boat hit a rock and sank. Naturally, I dragged the whole ton of you down to this lifeboat, or else you would be Sharpedo food by now," Drew casually explained, "You know, you owe it all to me, especially because when the backup ship came, YOU weren't awake to help me to get HELP! It's up to ourselves to get us to land, AND we're going to miss the Grand Festival." His voice grew louder, an accusing tone taking the place of the casual one just a few seconds ago. May looked down, too afraid to see into Drew's eyes, for she knew he was disappointed at her; but she couldn't help but feel gratitude towards him- he had just saved her life.

"Drew?" her meek voice spoke out.

"What?" was the reply.

"Thanks..for saving me I mean. I'm sorry for sleeping all the way through, I caused you too much trouble.." May apologized, keeping her head downwards. After a minute, she braved a look at Drew, and found him looking at her, amused. When their eyes made contact, the two immediately looked away, slightly blushing.

"I don't know why I did it, I guess if my biggest rival died, I'd obviously miss beating her," Drew spoke again.

May fumbled around with Drew's purple jacket, before returning it to Drew; she finally understood that Drew had given her the purple jacket so she wouldn't be cold while she slept. Is this really the Drew I know? Everything tells me he's been nice to me while I'm sleeping, but why is he still so cold and mean towards me when I talk to him? Can't he stop making fun of me? Breaking the silence, she decided to ask, "How are we supposed to get to land? We don't have enough supplies to live here forever you know." To be extra ruthless, May decided to throw in a smirk towards Drew- a taste of his own medicine.

Proving her to be incorrect, Drew flicked his hair and countered, "Been there, done that. I've sent Masquerain and Flygon to fly upwards so it could search for land. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have your Beautifly to search as well." Defeated, May let out her Beautifly.

"Beau!!" it called, flying upwards to join Masquerain and Flygon for its search for land. An awkward silence filled the boat, interrupted only by the sound of the wind and waves. May could feel herself burning up- she never had awkward silences when she traveled with her friends.

"So……." May trailed off, scuffling her feet against the floor.

"If you have nothing to say, it's better not to say anything. After all, the less you think, the more you talk, but I guess that's natural for you since you never think anyway," Drew teased, abruptly cutting off the conversation.

"Do you mind? I'm trying to be nice here," she wailed, flailing her hands around her head to show her frustration. In a split second, Drew stuffed a fully bloomed red rose in her face. May coughed from inhaling the sweet aroma of the rose in excess. Feeling the velvety sensation of the rose pedals, May calmed down- and continued to stare at the rose.

Seconds became minutes, as minutes became hours- the boat remained silent, although the pair had gone off to busy themselves with other things to do. Suddenly, Masquerain, Flygon and Beautifly appeared from the sky, all appearing as if they had finally found land. "Beautifly!!! Did you find land?? YAY Great! Finally!!" exclaimed May, hopping up and down, causing the boat to rock slightly. Catching Drew's eyes, they both grinned and made their way to the navigation corner.

"Clueless as ever huh?" mocked Drew, as he knowledgably began piloting the boat. "Just sit down and continue doing whatever you do to amuse yourself- we should be there soon." Not to be dampened by his words, May perkily skipped over to the bench and began tending her Skitty. I wonder where we're going.

Katsu-Bang

Nankurunasai~
Years
I really like it! For a minute there, I thought it was going to be another boring GF start, but I was completely surprised! Great Plot, I'll keep reading whenever I can. I do have a question regarding the last act, was May naked when Drew saved her? I read over that scene a few times and I couldn't figure it out. No offense, but if she was, I forever disturbed O.O

Anyhow, can't wait to read the next act!

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2006
Haha no shes in her PJs.

UGGHH the title makes it sound so cliche! but it really is different - it gets more different towards the end.

haha the GF...

I havent watched enough contests to be experieneced enough to write about them. Plus, they kinda bore me =X. I deliberately skipped over it. :)

Katsu-Bang

Nankurunasai~
Years
disbejackiee said:
Haha no shes in her PJs.

Phew, that makes me feel much better, maybe make that a little more clear next time ^^; Well, now that you've said that, I really like the scene now! :D

disbejackiee said:
but it really is different - it gets more different towards the end.

Ooo, the suspense! :)

haha the GF...

disbejackiee said:
I havent watched enough contests to be experieneced enough to write about them. Plus, they kinda bore me =X. I deliberately skipped over it. :)

Ah, well I love the plot, disliking contests seems to really help in your story ;)

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2006
Well I meant, I like watching contests on TV, but i dont like reading them =X

due to my lack of imagination, its hard for me to picture whats going on.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2006
I've been going through a hard time lately, so it won't be up for awhile. =/ Sorry, I wrote about three pages 1.5 spaced, but I'm still brainstorming on the chapter and stuff. So yeahh...^^"

wobbuffetds

Now it's time for my friends!
Years
Sapphire May said:
Ah, well yes I do understand. Great writing does take a lot of time!

So does quick writing mean bad writing? I always do that. Love the story and I have to say that I'm a big fan of your writing.

Katsu-Bang

Nankurunasai~
Years
wobbuffetds said:
So does quick writing mean bad writing? I always do that. Love the story and I have to say that I'm a big fan of your writing.

No, No, that's not what I mean, I would have thought you spent hours on your story the way you write, maybe what I meant is that it's a matter of the time you have, like I myself, disbejackiee probably is often very busy.

Back