• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
Where can I find it?

In the script pokemon hidden moves, theres a section starting
def Kernel.pbAscendWaterfall(event=nil)
at arround line 238

within that there is the
terrain=Kernel.pbFacingTerrainTag(nil,event)

the next section below it
def Kernel.pbDescendWaterfall(event=nil)

you need to replace the line as well

Edit

Can anyone help with the vanishifwitch on trainer battles

It creates a new page on the event but the page still has the trainer graphic instead of no graphic at all

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Hate to burden the experts with even more questions, but I want to learn how I could go about creating custom abilities in my game. I know it involves scripting, to say the least.

Anyway, these are the abilities I want to create:

Hiker: This would allow a pokemon to be immune to entry hazard damage (stealth rock, spikes, etc.)

Snow Slider: raises a pokemon's speed in hail. A swift swim/chlorophyll equivalent.

Stiff Body: Moves that do physical damage will do half the usual damage on a pokemon with this ability

Frost Power: Boosts the power of ice-type moves under hail.

On the subject of abilities, has anyone figured out how to get Snow Warning to work? Any help is appreciated.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Every time I try to add a Trainer Type, I keep getting this error

Spoiler:

Is there any way to fix this?

Edit: And now I'm getting this error when I tried the other version of Essentials:
Spoiler:
The latest version of essentials renamed "trainernames.txt" to "trainertypes.txt". That may be somewhere to start.

Hate to burden the experts with even more questions, but I want to learn how I could go about creating custom abilities in my game. I know it involves scripting, to say the least.

Anyway, these are the abilities I want to create:

Hiker: This would allow a pokemon to be immune to entry hazard damage (stealth rock, spikes, etc.)

Snow Slider: raises a pokemon's speed in hail. A swift swim/chlorophyll equivalent.

Stiff Body: Moves that do physical damage will do half the usual damage on a pokemon with this ability

Frost Power: Boosts the power of ice-type moves under hail.

On the subject of abilities, has anyone figured out how to get Snow Warning to work? Any help is appreciated.
The number one rule for adding new abilities is that, if there's an existing ability that is similar to what you want to add, copy it. Abilities can do so many completely different things that it's impossible to give a general explanation of how to add them.

Hiker - The Levitate ability makes Pokémon immune to entry hazards. Copy it for that effect.

Snow Slider - As you said, Swift Swim and Chlorophyll do similar things. Copy them.

Stiff Body - In the same place in the scripts that Pure Power doubles a move's damage, put something in to halve the damage if the move is physical and the opponent has Stiff Body.

Frost Power - Copy Huge Power, but add in that it only works for Ice moves in hail.

Snow Warning is the same as Drought and Drizzle, but for hail. Wherever they appear in the scripts, copy them for Snow Warning.

Eventually all abilities will be included in Essentials by default. I couldn't possibly say when, though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
The number one rule for adding new abilities is that, if there's an existing ability that is similar to what you want to add, copy it. Abilities can do so many completely different things that it's impossible to give a general explanation of how to add them.

Hiker - The Levitate ability makes Pokémon immune to entry hazards. Copy it for that effect.

Snow Slider - As you said, Swift Swim and Chlorophyll do similar things. Copy them.

Stiff Body - In the same place in the scripts that Pure Power doubles a move's damage, put something in to halve the damage if the move is physical and the opponent has Stiff Body.

Frost Power - Copy Huge Power, but add in that it only works for Ice moves in hail.

Snow Warning is the same as Drought and Drizzle, but for hail. Wherever they appear in the scripts, copy them for Snow Warning.

Eventually all abilities will be included in Essentials by default. I couldn't possibly say when, though.
Thank you, but I have some questions (I'm not very experienced with RGSS)
if pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Spikes] > 0
if !isConst?(pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:LEVITATE) && !pkmn.pbHasType?(:FLYING) && (pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:HIKER)
spikesdiv=[0,8,6,4]
pkmn.pbReduceHP(pkmn.hp/spikesdiv[pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Spikes]])
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} is hurt by spikes!",pkmn.pbThis))
This is what I did for PokeBattle_Battle class to implement Hiker. Is this essentially correct, or do I need to do more?

For Stiff Body and Frost Power, I found where the damage is calculated for Huge and Pure Power, but I simply don't understand the proper format for implementing it.

Here's what I attempted for Stiff Body, at least:
if isConst?(opponent.ability,PBAbilities,:STIFFBODY)
atk=(atk/2).floor
end
The problem is I can't figure out how to get it to check whether the attack used was physical. I'm a total noob at this.

Also, I can't seem to find the class where the Swiftswim/chlorophyll abilities are implemented. Can you help me out?

Maruno

Years
Thank you, but I have some questions (I'm not very experienced with RGSS)

This is what I did for PokeBattle_Battle class to implement Hiker. Is this essentially correct, or do I need to do more?
Code:
if pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Spikes] > 0
  if !isConst?(pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:LEVITATE) && !pkmn.pbHasType?(:FLYING) [COLOR=Red]&& !isConst?(pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:HIKER)[/COLOR]
    spikesdiv=[0,8,6,4]
    pkmn.pbReduceHP(pkmn.hp/spikesdiv[pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Spikes]])
    pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} is hurt by spikes!",pkmn.pbThis))
  end
end
Almost right. The red bit is what you want.

For Stiff Body and Frost Power, I found where the damage is calculated for Huge and Pure Power, but I simply don't understand the proper format for implementing it.

Here's what I attempted for Stiff Body, at least:

The problem is I can't figure out how to get it to check whether the attack used was physical. I'm a total noob at this.
Code:
if isConst?(opponent.ability,PBAbilities,:STIFFBODY) && pbIsPhysical?(type)
  atk=(atk/2).floor
end
Put that in next to where Huge Power is mentioned.

Code:
if weather==PBWeather::HAIL
  if isConst?(type,PBTypes,:ICE) && isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:FROSTPOWER)
    damage=(damage*1.5).floor
  end
end
Put that in a bit further down, next to where the other weather stuff is handled.

Also, I can't seem to find the class where the Swiftswim/chlorophyll abilities are implemented. Can you help me out?
A Pokémon's speed is calculated in the script section PokeBattle_Battler, in the def pbSpeed. Copy Chlorophyll/Swift Swim exactly, but just change the ability and the weather.

I think you did very well for "a total noob".

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
Hello!
I could have done variants of Wild Pokemon Shiny focused on other things.
Events.onWildPokemonCreate+=proc {|sender,e|
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.makeShiny
end
}

Here a few examples that I share:

Wild Pokemon with upset condition.
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.status=PBStatuses::SLEEP/POISON/FROZEN/PARALYSIS/BURN
end
}
X = Switch Number
Only it chooses a status condition, Obviously.

Wild Pokemon with Moves to choice.
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pbAutoLearnMove(pokemon,PBMoves::Y)
end
}
X = Switch Number
Y = Movements of the Wild Pokemon

Wild Pokemon with equipped item.
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.item=PBItems::Y
end
}

X = Swicth Number
Y = Item Name

Wild Pokemon with all IVS to 31.
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
# Set all IVs to 31 for example
pokemon.iv[0]=31 # HP
pokemon.iv[1]=31 # Attack
pokemon.iv[2]=31 # Defense
pokemon.iv[3]=31 # Speed
pokemon.iv[4]=31 # Special Attack
pokemon.iv[5]=31 # Special Defense
# Recalculate stats
pokemon.calcStats
end
}
X = Switch Number

Wild Pokemon with all EVS to 255. (HACK HACK HACK :laugh:)
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.ev[0]=255
pokemon.ev[1]=255
pokemon.ev[2]=255
pokemon.ev[3]=255
pokemon.ev[4]=255
pokemon.ev[5]=255
# Recalculate stats
pokemon.calcStats
end
}
X = Swicth Number

After all that, I have a few questions.
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the ability that you choose?
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the alternative form that you choose?
-How might all that do with a pokemon of a trainer without touching anything of the metadata?

Bill™

Random Guy
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2012
In Raptor EX, you can trade pokemon. Is there a way to do this in the newest essentials?

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2011
Newbie Wild Encounters Help

Hi, I'm new to all this stuff. Like three days.. I'm wondering how to make it so that the wild encounters aren't level 25? Please reply. Thanks.

Tranitar

Working on Pokémon Wraith
Years
How do I raise my chances of finding a shiny instead of it being
1/5876 or whtever i want it to be 1/25

Hi, I'm new to all this stuff. Like three days.. I'm wondering how to make it so that the wild encounters aren't level 25? Please reply. Thanks.
On the Encounters notepad file inside of PBS. Whatever pokémon you want should look like this for an example.
WEEDLE,1,3
or if you wanted it to be like this
BEEDRILL,100
it would only be level 100. while the weedle would be levels 1 - 3.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Hey guys, I've been having some trouble in regards to my BGMs. I've found that during a certain sequence in which I've altered the BGM to differ from the default one for the map, saving and reloading causes the BGM to revert to the default map one. It's rather annoying and it becomes impractical to have an event to do it all the time.

Is there are way by which I can memorise the BGM playing when one clicks save, and then have it automatically start that BGM again when the save is loaded? Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I've tried using the Memorise/Restore BGM events, which failed (unless I went about it wrong). I'm useless at scripting but if it comes to that then I'll try my best to understand it. Thanks in advance guys.

Maruno

Years
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the ability that you choose?
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the alternative form that you choose?
-How might all that do with a pokemon of a trainer without touching anything of the metadata?
You can only set a Pokémon's ability to be either of the ones that species can have, by setting the Pokémon's property abilityflag to 0 (the first ability) or 1 (the second ability). You can't just give a Pokémon any ability you like. I've toyed with the idea of letting people set a Pokémon's ability to anything (e.g. Pikachu with Overgrow), but then what happens when that Pokémon evolves?

You can set a Pokémon's form easily, by setting form for it.

You can't easily set any properties of a trainer's Pokémon that you can't already set in the PBS file. That would require clever and tedious scripting. On the one hand I'd like users to be able to set lots of things, but on the other hand that's a lot of variables for each trainer-owned Pokémon.

In Raptor EX, you can trade pokemon. Is there a way to do this in the newest essentials?
You mean with other real people between games? No. In-game trades are all you've got, unless someone clever comes up with a GTS-style thingy (which is a whole bucket o' worms). I'm not that interested in code-trading, though, so I'm not likely to try putting it in.

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
Hello!
I could have done variants of Wild Pokemon Shiny focused on other things.

Here a few examples that I share:

Wild Pokemon with upset condition.

X = Switch Number
Only it chooses a status condition, Obviously.

Wild Pokemon with Moves to choice.

X = Switch Number
Y = Movements of the Wild Pokemon

Wild Pokemon with equipped item.

X = Swicth Number
Y = Item Name

Wild Pokemon with all IVS to 31.

X = Switch Number

Wild Pokemon with all EVS to 255. (HACK HACK HACK :laugh:)

X = Swicth Number

Actually tachan, that won't work with the EV show. You have to have a different variable for each stat. The way you have it now will show the same stat for each output.

Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2011
Rival Help

Hey, I'm just wondering how to make a Rival with Conditional Branch. Please help. Would be much obliged.

Maruno

Years
Hey, I'm just wondering how to make a Rival with Conditional Branch. Please help. Would be much obliged.
How do you mean? Do you mean how to make the rival use different Pokémon depending on which starter the player chose?

The wiki has a page about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back