• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Nicknames

danaxe

I long for kyurem powerz
Years
yes i like to nickname pokemon like this

watersteel, the empoleon
bbcradio2, the uknown
ZzZzZ, the snorlax
fun guy the amoongus
pepaminta, the ludicolo
swift bolt, the jolteon
vyne wipz, the tangrowth
voltackle!, the raichu
vanish fly, the flygon
watabeast, the gyarados.

now i have a lot more, but. eh. too many

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I usually name a Pokémon a nickname that matches it. Say, Charmander, I could name it Blaze or Flame. Or even sometimes I give it a random name like once I gave an Abra the name "psymaster" :P

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I'm very into Norse Mythology. My paintings reflect that, I listen to a lot of Pagan Metal, and I put a lot of time into studying it. Lately I've been naming my Pokémon after Norse gods, places, objects, etc. of Norse Myth.

My last team was:

Pyre, a Typlosion (As in a funeral pyre (kinda Norse-ish))

Yggdrasil, a Sudowoodo (Yggdrasil being the life tree, the center of the cosmology on the religion)

Mjolnir, an Ampharos (Thor's hammer)

Mimir, a Misdreavus (Mimir was a God who was decapitated by the Vanir. Misdeavus can be seen as a floating head... so I thought that was kinda funny..)

Gungnir, a Scizor (Gungir was Odin's spear. Scizor is kinda the tip of the spear of my team)

Kinda generic, so my next team, come BW2 is going to be less so

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
sometimes I nickname them sometimes I don't, the nicknames I give usually has a spanish name theme like Juan, Pedro or Jose... and sometimes I based the nickname on how or where I got the pokemon.

Tranca

Monolith
Years
  • Seen Jan 7, 2013
I only nickname shiny pokemon - but I only have one of those as of now.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
I always, ALWAYS, have to nickname EVERYTHING I catch. Everything. Even if the only idea I have is a really ****** one, I just MUST have a nickname for it.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
People don't nickname their Pokemon? Wow.

I say that every time I hear about this. Seriously... nicknaming your Pokemon makes them your colleagues and gives them an identity, as opposed to just a species. Would you like it if someone always called you "HUMAN" or "PERSON" or "HOMO SAPIEN" or something like that? Would you name your fish "FISH" or your dog "DOG" or cat "CAT" etc.?

Of course your Pokemon need a name. That's why you have to nickname them.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
If I feel like a Pokemon reminds me of, or can somehow be linked to them, I often nickname my Pokemon after some of the people I know here on PC, although otherwise I don't really nickname my Pokemon. When I eventually do it where it's not related to PC, it's just something generic because I just want to give it a nickname, like naming Tepig "Piglet" lol. So yeah, it's kinda half-half about nicknames.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I sometimes nickname my Pokemon due to their type, gender or something.
I named my female Lucario "Lucia" like the fighter Lucia from the SNES game, Final Fight 3.
I also nicknamed my female Luxray "Thundra."

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Sometimes I give a nickname a lot of thought, but other times I just give it a generically funny name - like a Typhlosion named Flareburst with a Mightyena named Fito lol.

I always case my nicknames to match the style of the generation. Like with Gen I-III Pokémon they'll be named in all caps, but in Gen IV and V they'll be title case. Its a quirk of mine ;).

TheLeetCasualGamer

Hi, I'm strange :3
Years
Usually it feels randomly generated when it comes to nicknaming my Pokemon which I tend to do to the ones I plan to use.

Sometimes I give them nicknames based off their possible origin, what they look like, the species they might be based off of, etc. Sometimes I name them after usernames of friends I know. Sometimes I just name them sex names just for the heck of it (I know, I'm so mature aren't I :3)

But Nicknames kind of give that interaction between you and Pokemon and it makes it kind of feel like your own special character that you developed. Nicknaming is just part of the fun.

Back