• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smartphone Operating Systems

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I use iOS on my iPod Touch 4th Gen. However I'm contemplating getting a HTC One instead of an iPhone 5 because of the greater storage. Only snag is how much money I've spent on iTunes (mostly music, all DRM-free I think, I didn't get it for a while after my brother did). Android looks cooler, but iOS7 looks like it's going to change all that. Sure, there'll not be the customisation, but I'm not sure I need too much of that.

Years
• What smartphone operating system are you currently using?

Currently, iOS 5.0.1. For the sake of Jailbreaking and stuff, I prefer this OS version. It's nice, but my iPhone is outdated, so...I need to upgrade because my GB and RAM needs have skyrocketed.

• Have you used other smartphone operating systems? If so, which do you prefer?

ICE. CREAM. SANDWICH.
Dude, ICS 4.0 on my mom's S3 is so legit. I'm like almost ready to jump ship and get me an S3. In fact, null that last part about upgrading my iPhone, I might just get that S3/S4.

• Why do you prefer this operating system over others?

Truthfully, the only thing keeping me is the fact that I've invested so much time into the phone, and the fact that it's Jailbroken. If I happen to nab an iPhone 4/4S, I might not have to get a S3/S4. But...if not, ICS, here I come~~~

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
^ Just to let you know, the S3 should all have 4.1 (Jelly Bean) now and the S4 comes with 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Both are excellent operating systems and much better than ICS.

Years
^ Just to let you know, the S3 should all have 4.1 (Jelly Bean) now and the S4 comes with 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Both are excellent operating systems and much better than ICS.

Hey, that's even better. Cuz ICS was a really OS from my experiences with it, so if it's even better now? maaaaaaaan
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

thankyouseriouslyI'mnewtotheandroidboatandamhugenoob

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Jelly Bean is pretty much the shining star of Android right now and has helped its dominance. Project Butter is amazing... look it up on Wikipedia.

Years
Since we're on the topic of Androids (if it's relevant), how's the whole Unlocking scene as far as the S series goes?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
You can unlock pretty much any phone but Verizon likes to lock them down like crazy (the bootloader, that is), which is a major pain in the butt. You can root pretty much anything though, but if you want to flash custom ROMs the bootloader needs to be unlocked.

Years
I wound up getting a Nexus 7 tablet today and so far I'm liking it! The resolution is probably the best thing I like about this tablet is how it runs the newest Android operating system and it seems to have a good camera as well.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I wound up getting a Nexus 7 tablet today and so far I'm liking it! The resolution is probably the best thing I like about this tablet is how it runs the newest Android operating system and it seems to have a good camera as well.

You got the new one? Omg, so jelly! That thing is absolutely epic in every way.

Years
You got the new one? Omg, so jelly! That thing is absolutely epic in every way.

If you always want the newest Android OS on your device you should get a Nexus, since you can always update Nexus phones and tablets to the newest version.

I have a Galaxy Note II right now but I've just misused it too much (it has a lot of scratches from putting it in the pocket). I'll get a newer phone, though I haven't really decided which one to get (Possibly Nexus 5 if's ever announced), and give my "older" Note II to my mom because she doesn't care about the latest tech or how the system looks. She still has a Cingular (And yes, you did not misread that) phone from 2005.

Last edited:

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I've always been an iOS kind of guy. I've got the iPhone 4S right now and plan on getting the most recent iPhone available when I can upgrade again next year. My friends have Android phones, and I just can't seem to like the OS. A lot of people like it, but I'm not one of them.

iOS just feels cleaner and smoother to me. Also, once you throw a jailbreak on it, there's not a whole lot you can't do. iOS without a jailbreak is no good for me, but with a jb, it's everything I need. Different themes, tweaks, and fixes make the OS so much better. The sad part about jailbreaking is that hardly anyone uses a jailbreak for more than piracy, which isn't what it's made for at all.

I would like to try an Android phone sometime, but it seems like a hassle to get used to a new OS when I'm so comfortable with iOS. It'd be like switching from PC to Mac, more trouble than what it's worth. Unless there's something an Android phone can do that my iPhone can't that blows me away, I don't plan on switching.

Sort of OT, but one thing Apple needs to fix is the screen size. The 4" screen on the iPhone 5 is still too small. I think somewhere around 5" is big good, but bigger than that is where it starts to become a negative for me. I hate the phone's that have ridiculously huge screens (Like 5.8" and above). My pockets are full enough between my phone, wallet, and keys, (and occasionally DS). I don't need a gargantuan phone filling my pocket.

Last edited:
Years
I don't think iOS is that bad, but my experience with it so far was largely a thing to forget as my mom smashed my iPod touch with a hammer out of sudden anger when I was a sophomore.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
I don't think iOS is that bad, but my experience with it so far was largely a thing to forget as my mom smashed my iPod touch with a hammer out of sudden anger when I was a sophomore.

That's um... really unfortunate. I could see why you wouldn't want to use any iDevice after that. I'd be emotionally scarred. :P

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
If you always want the newest Android OS on your device you should get a Nexus, since you can always update Nexus phones and tablets to the newest version.

I have a Galaxy Note II right now but I've just misused it too much (it has a lot of scratches from putting it in the pocket). I'll get a newer phone, though I haven't really decided which one to get (Possibly Nexus 5 if's ever announced), and give my "older" Note II to my mom because she doesn't care about the latest tech or how the system looks. She still has a Cingular (And yes, you did not misread that) phone from 2005.

Oh, I know about the Nexus devices. I have the OG Nexus 7 myself actually. I'm jelly over the 2013 Nexus 7 actually! That thing is a monster.

Years
Yes, the Nexus 7 is just completely amazing, and it's very smooth even compared to my iPod Touch. I'm finally glad to be able to use an Android device, as I have been wanting to get one since the release of Ice Cream Sandwich.

As for iOS, I don't think it's bad, either, but there's so little you can do with customizing it in comparison to Android.

srinator

yes i am using android and have used an ios in the past albeit for a very short time.

currently i have a xperia go running jellybean 4.1.2 :( yes blame sony on late os releases. I had every intention of changing my phone but mere ruggedness and sturdiness of it keeps me chained.

Although as many say android lacks the shine or richness that ios has i contradict this. the later/latest versions of android are much better than ios in my opinion as they have improved upon the performance of the OS starting from the so called "project butter" and the freedom that it has always given us in terms of customization. and i have personally felt the difference when i upgraded from gingerbread to ics to jb (jellibean not justin beiber ;) ) all have massive differences.

I have never actually used a windows phone hence commenting on that is pointless although i am actually in favor of nokia's latest efforts.

What i am even more exited about are those operating systems emerging from depths to try and take android and the ios head on like the sailfish or Firefox or even the Ubuntu.

This is certainly the kind of topic i love to talk about :D

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
When my mum decided to get a new phone (She went for a S4) I decided ditch my old phone for her S2 and even now it's a wonderful phone to have. I opted to use the SlimBean ROM which is stable for everyday use and at least I know that I'll receive updates once Google pushes new versions of Android soon after. Unlike having an iPhone where you're pretty much required to purchase a new device after 3 years or so if you want to use the latest version of IOS)

Back