• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Medal System

droomph

weeb
Years
I have no intention of completing these medals, because a number of the requirements are utterly ridiculous. I am not playing the minigames, I am not going to torture myself with the world tournament, and I am certainly not going to even attempt to beat the Elite Four with one Pokemon, just so I can "earn" a medal. Overall, it's a rather pointless addition. I don't know if it's supposed to motivate me to actually do some of these absurd things in the game, but sorry, mission failed.

Overall it feels like a forced attempt to pad the length of the game.

In LeafGreen I have at least 40 hours just doing nothing, so I think this is to keep the after-game a tad bit more interesting, because believe me, many people mess around in the post-game for no reason really.

For example, after beating the E4 enough times you'll take it on yourself to beat them with only one Pokémon. This is just making it more justifiable why the hell you do that.

Of course, you may not do it, but believe me many people do.

I had a sort of "internal" medal system going already, so this is just putting that on paper.

tl;dr not padding, enhancing.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
Alder gives you the medal box after you defeat two trainers in his house on route 20.

Actually, his house is in Floccesy Town/Sangi Town, a.k.a. the first town you visit outside of Aspertia City ^^;

Anyways, I think it's a good, innovative way to keep people into the games~ I'm not gonna purposely try getting medals until I get the English copies because I can't fully understand Japanese, but they're definitely something that I'll likely enjoy doing.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
A-achivements? In Pokemon games?
No. I like achievements in some games, but I usually never get them. (The only game that I got all achievements in is ATLA: The Burning Earth...and there were 5. And they were meant for little kids. Like, five-year olds.) It also sucks because my highly competitive brother(who can't stand me beating him*cough* disconnects *cough*)will end up trying to get them all just to tick me off.

Achievements are kind of demotivational to me, so...I'm going to try to AVOID getting medals. That seems like a challenge in itself, referring to the easier ones.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You really can't avoid them. Most are recieved by random things like take x amount of steps. Beat So and so. Stuff like that. You CAN however not collect them as to get them you have to talk to the old man in the Pokemon Center that stands near Nurse Joy.

Years
I am definitely looking forward to this feature. I think this will give some of us(who get completely bored after the E4) something to continue onto doing, rather than starting over multiple times.

SouKoLian9102

That 1 Kid Who Plays Pokemon
Years
Achievements. Achievements. Lets all just take a moment to see how much Pokemon has improved over the years. OMG I can't breathe because of my feels ;A;
These look so fun to get. Seriously, as soon as I finish the story mode of a game, I try to finish all the achievements.
Looks like my overachiever mode has been activated. Can't wait 'till October.

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Sounds interesting for sure! I can't really say how much I'll like it until I play the game, but for now, I really am liking the sound of it. The main reason achievements are so popular in 360 games is that they add an element of re-playability or extended playability to a game once you've completed the main storyline. I mean, I know Pokémon games usually have some sort of story post-game, but not that much (aside from GSC/HGSS, whose post-game was massive). I think it'll give you a reason to continue playing the game aside from trying to complete your dex.

Back