• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LEGALLY watching Japanese Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
Hi, is there any way that I, who am in America, can legally watch Pokemon material in Japanese (subbed preferred but raw is also great), especially the new episodes of Best Wishes? The anime forum guidelines here say TV Tokyo's website provides the anime, but I don't know whether this means they stream full eps or not. In any case, I've looked over the site some, but haven't found anything yet, and my Japanese-speaking ability is probably only about intermediate. Please help if you can. I want to be able to keep seeing the show, but only legally.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2019
If you just watch the episodes, you aren't doing anything illegal(to my knowledge, as you didn't distribute the content.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
*Mod Edit*

Some additional questions. I discovered "KeyHole TV", which is a legal program from the Japanese government allowing people to stream certain Japanese TV channels live, including TV Tokyo. The problem is, based on when new eps air in Japan on Thursdays (7 PM JPT), I'd have to get up at 3 AM to see them. So, I wondered if these episodes would air as reruns, and when? Of course I'm still looking for other ways to watch it in addition to this, but it has to be legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
*Mod Edit*

In Finland there is service which shows all episodes dubbed for Finland in live, even Black and White episodes. Last summer it showed 13th season because it was skipped on TV. That service have showed episodes since 10th season. I'm happy with that service. :)

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
*Mod Edit*

The problem is I risk getting in trouble if by some chance authorities find in records or whatever that I was watching it.
You could look at getting a DVD player that can play Japanese region DVDs and import the Japanese Pokemon DVDs if you really want to watch it in Japanese legally.
I plan to do that once Best Wishes is put on DVD there, but until then I'd hope there'd be a legal way to see it sooner. Besides, I'd prefer to buy those when I live in Japan eventually so I don't have to pay the big shipping costs.
Alternatively, you could watch the dub on the official Pokemon website, www.pokemon.com.
Thanks but no thanks. If only the Japanese Pokemon site would also stream the show...

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Frankly, no authority is going to give a damn that you watched Japanese cartoons online.

If you were the one uploading it, or even recording it live from Japan for the intent of distributing it online, that would be much a different matter. Whenever they've gone for people involved in copyright infringement of anime, they target the source of the content sharers, not the content viewers.

They also lived in Japan.

Years
Frankly, no authority is going to give a damn that you watched Japanese cartoons online.

If you were the one uploading it, or even recording it live from Japan for the intent of distributing it online, that would be much a different matter. Whenever they've gone for people involved in copyright infringement of anime, they target the source of the content sharers, not the content viewers.

They also lived in Japan.
This is a 5 star post.

Remember, it's against the rules to direct users to sites that illegally display the anime. Sorry, but I'm going to have to lock this.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back