• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That 1 absurd experience you remember

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
What is that one moment you remember as being flat-out ridiculous, in any of your games?

For myself, it would be one thing that occurred to myself.

I had just gotten my copy of Pokèmon Crystal, was laid up in the hospital after a spinal tap + some resetting of a shattered elbow & was about to leave New Bark Town.
I went into the grass & BAM!
Shiny Hoothoot.
But I had not yet ever seen a shiny Pokèmon, in all of my time playing Yellow.
I had absolutely no Pokèballs & did even realize it was special.

I defeated it with my Chikorita & continued on my way, expecting all Gen 2 Pokèmon to have "that cool intro animation".

When I found out what I had done, that I could not have done any different & that I adored Hoothoot/Noctowl...

Oh, I have spent many a hour in SS, scouring the tall grass that those Pokèmon so love, but it has never come back...

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
The same thing happened to me 5 steps from leaving Victory Cave. I realised it had a different colour so I fainted it expecting something special to happen...
/me facepalms

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Perhaps when I accidentally deleted my shiny Bidoof. Shiny or not, it was still a Bidoof, which lowers my value of it. T:

I'm also going to post one for my friend.
He found a shiny female Machoke on GTS and didn't try to get it. He thought all female Machoke were green and upon his telling me, I assumed he was just making stuff up.

Years
Most recent is in black2. Shiny koffing in the double grass at the complex. I had riolu and growlithe leading shiny koffing and a magnemite. I knew the magnite would most likely have sturdy so i hit it with ember and rock smash from riolu to koffing magnemite caught a burn amd fainted but i was so wrapprd up in the game plan i had to keep koffing from fainting that before i could realize what i was doing i assigned two attacks to koffing. Realizing what i had done instantly after i confirmed it. I wanted to smack myself. I have never ran into a shiny that early and never a shiny that could potentially be a team member. I also ran into a shiny elgyem which made me real mad bc they are less common tham litwicks in the tower and a shiny litwick would have been nice.
Shoot the only shiny i ever seen in my soul silver was an onix and it was at the safari zone... bs

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The times when I ran from the shiny Shellder and Machop I encountered in FR/LG. Beating Steven for the first time in Sapphire was so satisfying that I still remember it to this day.

Years
Don't mean to bandwagon, but mine also involved a shiny. I was in Cerulean Cave in LeafGreen around '08 or so, and I found a shiny Ditto. As the idiot that I was, I kept my Rayquaza out and threw an Ultra Ball. I'm sure you can predict roughly what happened next: the Ball shook three times and broke open, the Ditto transformed into a Rayquaza, and I spent the next forty or fifty turns chucking Ultra Balls, Great Balls, and Timer Balls at it, weakening it with other teammates as necessary, and STILL never caught it before it Struggled itself to death. Mind you, this was with a freaking SENTRET on my team to whom I could've switched at the start of the battle (and caught easily) if I hadn't been so confident that I'd make the catch with one Ultra Ball right away.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
When i first palyed Diamond,the very first day i got it,i got pokerus on my team BUT i read in a forum that pokerus only lowers the stat changing when leveling up and weakens the pokemon in battles.Never having pokerus before i believed it and restarted my diamond to get rid of it.Now i hate my self that i know that it is even rarer than a shiny.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
In Yellow, I bought around sixty Ultra Balls to catch the legendary birds with. I caught all three with less than ten total. I got stuck on Giovanni because I spent so much money on the Ultra Balls and didn't have any left for Potions. Since I was little, I just started over. I have never caught all three birds with under ten Ultra Balls again. Ever.

Years
When I was little, I caught Articuno, didn't save, and ended up only having Articuno and Magikarp on my team for some reason. I ran into a magikarp trainer, forgot I had Articuno and just restarted.

Another one was when a kid I know wanted a Snorunt, so I traded one to him. The next day I found out he'd gotten another. With a master ball.

Years
A long time ago, I was playing Pokemon Silver for the first time, & stumbled upon Lugia while exploring those caves. I tried for literally an hour to catch it, but the 4 poke balls I had on me just weren't enough.

So I came back after that with a lot of 3 dozen ultra balls, but my 7 year old self just wasn't able to find that room again :'(

Years
Pokemon Emerald. I used around 50 ultraballs in Rayquaza and couldn't get it. After having all my pokemon fainted, (appart from my Blaziken which had its life on red) no more pokeballs (in general) and having wasted every single HP item I had I got extremely angry and made it faint with a fire blast. Even though I felt stupid later, that moment felt really satisfying.

Lockdown

Doom in a can
Years
The first Pokemon game I ever played was LG. I beat the game, and then used my brothers FR, restarted his (hehehehe, he had a shiny articuno.). I chose Charmander. When the first rival battle started, I noticed that my Charmander was yellow. In my mind I was thinking that the game was messed up, I knew my brothers Articuno had this same thing, so I restarted. NEVER have I gotten a Shiny starter. When I think back, I wonder what would have happened if I HADN'T restarted the game and kept my shiny starter..... I almost always get a female starter, which has and 18.25% chance of happening, but a shiny starter is about 1/8192 (somewhere around there.....I think.). The only other shiny pokemon that I have found in my life are: Magikarp (RED GYARADOS!!!!), Pidgey, Ryhorn, Machop, and 3 Scyther.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
In Pokemon Ruby
*Beats May!*
*Goes to the lab*
*Encounters a shiny Poochyena!*
*Pokeballs aren't available yet...*
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
Way back in 2004 I was training my Crobat in the Victory Road in Ruby, when a green Golbat turns up. I had nothing to catch it with...I was so mad. Shiny Crobat/Umbreon are my favourite shinies.

Luckily enough however, I ran into a green Zubat in Soul Silver back in 2011, caught it. Definitely made up for losing out on one so many years ago.

KantoSwag

Kanto Wanderer
Years
I was in the battle tower in Pokemon Platinum with my little bro and we were in a double battle with a Rhypehior and Lapras, friggin Ryhperior got 4 straight Horn Drill out in a row -__-

Back