• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Out of the 5, which game to start with?

Which is your favourite game of the Fourth Generation?

• Total voters

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I really liked Platinum best.

I like how it just added small story changes without drastically changing it (e.g. adding new things like Looker and Charon, Galactic's new modified plan, etc), and Giratina is a cool legendary mascot for the game.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Heart Gold is my favourite game of the Fourth Generation. I lived off GSC as a kid, and so Heart Gold brought back all my childhood memories. Not only that, but it offered a great deal of extras to make them way more than simple remakes. The graphics were lovely and the storyline was just a great; definitely my favourite by far.

Years
Platinum for me, I was always drawn to Sinnoh more than Johto and it fixed the main problems Diamond and Pearl had. Plus, Giratina is awesome.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2016
Heartgold/Soulsilver are the most solid Pokémon experiences for me.
It has an abundant variety of excellent Pokémon to start with in just about every corner, great for those who don't have the ability to trade Pokémon in.
You get to interact with your Pokémon, run them through the Pokéathlon (the funnest and most rewarding side games), and enjoy the benefits of the best breeding system of the 4th Gen.
Excellent areas to level up your Pokémon with great EV choices and EXP choices.
And I just love the music in this game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I'd say either Heartgold or Soulsilver. I'll just go with Heartgold since I played that first, although there isn't much difference between the two. All of the fun features thrown in, a feeling of nostalgia (even though I didn't play the original G/S/C :[) and in general I found it more fun than Platinum. The beginning didn't feel as long and drowsy, the storyline was great and the game was pretty much flawless. The music was also great, I find myself humming the tunes from time to time. :]

Years
I think that HeartGold (and SoulSilver) were the best games of the 4th generation- both because they could be enjoyed as a nostalgic experience for older players, but as a brand new game for younger ones, as well.

Plus, there were so many little things that they did well that really made the game a fun and unique experience. We had the opportunity to have a Pokemon always follow us around for the first time since Yellow, we were given a brand new side game in the Pokeathlon (which I'd say is much more fun to play than the Super Contests of DPPt), we could travel across not just one region, but two, and much more. Heck, I was so excited for HeartGold that I actually went out and bought a DS, and I was glad that it didn't disappoint.

Years
Undoubtedly HeartGold, it finally let me finish the Johto games after my internal battery ran dry on my 7th badge when I had Gold. The original G/S were brilliant games and all the added features in HG/SS just improved upon that hugely (I really enjoyed the Pokéathlon). Plus I got to use Typhlosion in the main game which is always cool.

Diamond & Platinum were great games, but they're lacking in comparison unfortunately. I spent more time on the two than any other game though and Sinnoh was undoubtedly the best region, it's just the games aren't as good as a whole.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
my favorite is pokemon Soul Silver as my silver is almost dead, plus it fixed the chikorita line making it not as bad a starter.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
HeartGold definitely. I remember playing Gold as a child and I enjoyed the original so much and so when I heard they were making remakes , I got excited. Playing these games make me feel so nostalgic and revives all those memories of playing as a little 8 year old for the first time. The new story elements and the added features such as the new Safari Zone and the Pokeathlon made the games even better than the originals too. After that I'd say Platinum cause they improved Diamond and Pearl's problems a ton.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Tough to say. HeartGold's definitely got a lot going for it, but so's Platinum - it's basically what DP should've been (then they could've just had 4 games in a Gen, like Gen V).

I don't get the title of this thread though "which game to start with". If you haven't played them, go for Platinum. About the only things you'll miss out on from DP are Stunky and Glameow, which plenty of people on here would give you I'm sure.

Back