• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Featured: The All Animations Project

Seth Pegasus

Creator of Pokemon: The Conspiracy.
Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2021
Due to the fact that I started school, I no longer have a lot of time to dedicate to this. However, I have downloaded the zip files that The_End posted, along with the program Xnview to open the files. I will do my best to learn how to rip the attacks from those files and make some attacks. I am not ready to give up on this.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Due to the fact that I started school, I no longer have a lot of time to dedicate to this. However, I have downloaded the zip files that The_End posted, along with the program Xnview to open the files. I will do my best to learn how to rip the attacks from those files and make some attacks. I am not ready to give up on this.

if you cant see each frame fully with Xnview (due to the compression of the animation) use animget to get screenshots from each frame of the animation and rip them afterwards from the screenshots! :)

Seth Pegasus

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2021
if you cant see each frame fully with Xnview (due to the compression of the animation) use animget to get screenshots from each frame of the animation and rip them afterwards from the screenshots! :)
Great thanks for the advice.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd also like to help from time to time. However, I see that on the wiki page, all moves are either completed in Essentials, or not done or even taken. Are none of you doing anything on the animations, or are you just neglecting the wiki page? :P Like Maruno said, it's very useful for this kind of thing.

Anyway, just wanted to know if this project is still happening before I get to work on an abandoned project.

Also, I'd recommend posting some useful and quick information on the first post, Andyman. Like for example, add a link to the wiki page, and information on how we are going to share work with each other on your first post of this topic.

Also, this may sound bold, but maybe this post could be stickied? An animation project for Essentials may be important enough for quite some people, and it could get done quicker if it can get more people by being stickied.

Sorry about the trouble, but I'll start asap after I get answers to my questions. Unless one of the answers is: "this project has been abandoned", but I sure hope it isn't!

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd also like to help from time to time. However, I see that on the wiki page, all moves are either completed in Essentials, or not done or even taken. Are none of you doing anything on the animations, or are you just neglecting the wiki page? :P Like Maruno said, it's very useful for this kind of thing.

Anyway, just wanted to know if this project is still happening before I get to work on an abandoned project.

Also, I'd recommend posting some useful and quick information on the first post, Andyman. Like for example, add a link to the wiki page, and information on how we are going to share work with each other on your first post of this topic.

Also, this may sound bold, but maybe this post could be stickied? An animation project for Essentials may be important enough for quite some people, and it could get done quicker if it can get more people by being stickied.

Sorry about the trouble, but I'll start asap after I get answers to my questions. Unless one of the answers is: "this project has been abandoned", but I sure hope it isn't!

i think its not abandoned... imo the problem is that people dont know how to or dont have enough time to rip the animations... and i can understand them because its VERY time consuming to rip one animation properly... i have not enough time to rip them myself but i gave you an opportunity to rip them without having the rom... even if you have the rom its easier to rip them from the apng files... so if you want to help start ripping one or two animations and upload the results... even if they are not finished! i am sure there will be a few people who would finish ripping them and animate them in essentials so you dont need to animate them yourself (which is time consuming too)! ;)
and even if there is no one who animates them right now your work will not be lost because i am sure someone would use them someday to make the attack animations... ^^
but if you think that its better to animate them in essentials yourself just do it... like i said your work will be appreciated from the essentials community... and i think seeing one or two finished animations would motivate people to help! :)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The main reason there's no progress is that everyone is waiting for "someone else" to rip the animation graphics and create animation sheets. It's not really that difficult to do, although it is tedious.

What I think would be very productive is if people intentionally made placeholder animations; that is, animations they know will be replaced in future. The so-called "perfect animations" will take much longer to make than some simple little animations made using readily available graphics which could be added to Essentials now (literally as soon as tomorrow). Think of them as draft animations. Something is better than nothing. Plus, they'd give other people somewhere to start (e.g. provoking them to improve on the placeholders and actually get round to ripping the better graphics).

As far as advertising this project, I've put a link to the wiki page in my signature. After I've finished updating the wiki a bit, I'll make a news post promoting it. It's certainly worth doing.

Seth Pegasus

Years
  • Seen Aug 24, 2021
I will have some time this weekend to work on this. I'll try to get at least one animation done by Monday and see how it looks.

Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2013
Right, I've created a sheet for some Normal-type moves, and I'd like to get it checked before I do any more, to see if I haven't missed anything, and people agree on the format etc. (192x192 pet sprite is a must, I know, but I mean other kinds of formatting, like whether it's good or bad if I place multiple sprites in the same sheet etc.)

However, Mediafire is being buggy, or something. I'll have to look at that sometime. In the meantime, though, does anyone know of another decent and free file uploading site?

I'll try to search for one myself later. After I collapsed from exhaustion. Should never have pulled an allnighter to search for probably-non-existing software...

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016
Right, I've created a sheet for some Normal-type moves, and I'd like to get it checked before I do any more, to see if I haven't missed anything, and people agree on the format etc. (192x192 pet sprite is a must, I know, but I mean other kinds of formatting, like whether it's good or bad if I place multiple sprites in the same sheet etc.)

However, Mediafire is being buggy, or something. I'll have to look at that sometime. In the meantime, though, does anyone know of another decent and free file uploading site?

I'll try to search for one myself later. After I collapsed from exhaustion. Should never have pulled an allnighter to search for probably-non-existing software...

mediafire works for me... ^^ what software did you search for? ^^

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022

I'd use deposit files, as it is ready to take your upload as soon as you enter the site.

I don't have my own time to learn to rip animations, but I can most certainly put them together. This project will take the help of many people in order to make some progress. It will probably be best to approach the smallest animations first, and try to take on one type at a time.

Maruno

Years
It will probably be best to approach the smallest animations first, and try to take on one type at a time.
No, wrong. Just do what you want to do. This project is slow enough as it is without being restricted by a self-elected leader claiming, "Let's do all Grass moves first!".

Of course, it's likely that what people will want to do are the easy animations. Don't make it a rule, though.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
No, wrong. Just do what you want to do. This project is slow enough as it is without being restricted by a self-elected leader claiming, "Let's do all Grass moves first!".

Of course, it's likely that what people will want to do are the easy animations. Don't make it a rule, though.

There are no rules here, only suggestions to make the project a little more organized. But I have to contradict my own suggestion just to get this thing started. Here is the first upload for new animations that I whipped up sometime last week. I have an idea on how contributions could be made. I suggest that this file that I have uploaded be placed on the wiki as the "master file". From It contains three folders - Data, Graphics, Audio. The data folder includes the latest Pokémon Essentials animation file with our animations added in. I have started at 90 on the animation file that goes in the data folder and included five animations to get us started. Not the best, but they are a start. Any person that wants to add to this folder can edit the animation file, then copy back to the file along with their graphics and audio files in their respective folders, then they must upload that back onto the wiki. You will find a READ ME txt document in the archive that has a change log section in it. It is recommended that whoever adds any animation to this folder, to update this change log. I have included more details in the read me file.

Here is the file with my contributions:
http://depositfiles.com/files/ya66vyz0o
Please add this to the wiki.

I'll include a change log in my post in this thread to let others know what I did:

Crush Claw
Fake Out
Fury Swipes
Scratch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maruno

Years
It's not a good idea to share versions of Animations.rxdata. You can use it personally to make the animations, but when it comes to sharing them, you should export the one you want individually as an anm file (basically a txt file) from the "Animation Editor" in the External Editor. It's much more flexible, more accurate, contains extra animations settings which may be used, and so on.

Put the exported anm file, audio file(s) and animation sheet into a zip and upload it somewhere (or attach them to a post in this thread). You can bundle a few animations together, although remember that each will have its own anm file. Each Essentials version will gather all of these and include them.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
It's not a good idea to share versions of Animations.rxdata. You can use it personally to make the animations, but when it comes to sharing them, you should export the one you want individually as an anm file (basically a txt file) from the "Animation Editor" in the External Editor. It's much more flexible, more accurate, contains extra animations settings which may be used, and so on.

Put the exported anm file, audio file(s) and animation sheet into a zip and upload it somewhere (or attach them to a post in this thread). You can bundle a few animations together, although remember that each will have its own anm file. Each Essentials version will gather all of these and include them.

Both methods are efficient, but I personally never became fond of using the external animations editor, since flipping back and forth became a mess for me.

I do hope to see others contribute. Since this is such a large project, everyone should just work at their own pace, especially with the holidays coming up soon. Good luck to everyone.

Maruno

Years
Your method is not efficient, because only one person can work on animations at once. With exporting animations, everyone can pick and choose which ones to load into their game, in which order, and allows everyone to work on their own animations at once without fear of disrupting someone else's work.

Plus, animations are converted from the Database into a (somewhat) different format which is used both in the game and the Animation Editor. If you don't want to learn at least how to export an animation from the Animation Editor (which is easy, by the way), then, well...

Yes, the Animation Editor is a little clunky, but it can do practically everything that the Database Editor can do, plus more things on top of that. It also shows you exactly what you'll get from an animation. The Database Editor is simply obsolete. As I said, you can use the Database Editor to "sketch" your animations if you want, but when it comes to sharing them you really should export them individually from the Animation Editor.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
Your method is not efficient, because only one person can work on animations at once. With exporting animations, everyone can pick and choose which ones to load into their game, in which order, and allows everyone to work on their own animations at once without fear of disrupting someone else's work.

Plus, animations are converted from the Database into a (somewhat) different format which is used both in the game and the Animation Editor. If you don't want to learn at least how to export an animation from the Animation Editor (which is easy, by the way), then, well...

Yes, the Animation Editor is a little clunky, but it can do practically everything that the Database Editor can do, plus more things on top of that. It also shows you exactly what you'll get from an animation. The Database Editor is simply obsolete. As I said, you can use the Database Editor to "sketch" your animations if you want, but when it comes to sharing them you really should export them individually from the Animation Editor.

I never said I didn't know how to use the poorly designed external editor. I just simply said that I refuse to use it to manage my animations, at least until I complete enough to spend my time working with it...

But back to the actual purpose of this thread, we need dedicated rippers for these graphics. The graphics on spriter's resource aren't enough. MikauSchekzen, did you manage to get medifire to work for you?

Maruno

Years
Right, I've made a proper page on the wiki for this project (which I've taken the liberty of calling the "All Animations Project"), I've made a news post on the wiki's main page about it, and I've added a link in my signature.

Go.

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Wow! This sounds awesome! If you guys can actually pull this off, it'll make Pokémon Essentials much more professional. I don't know how I can help, because I'm not too good at ripping sounds or at anything to do with graphics, but I'll support where I can (possibly recruiting more members?)
In short: can't wait, good luck and is this still alive?

Back