• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
To start, it looks really natural, good job! Where do you enter the map from? That lake kinda thing? I love the water tiles, looks awesome! I think there are too many little rocks scattered around though.. Maybe remove a few?

_ _ _ _ _

My map: -

Map Name: Pinewood Town
Map Game: Guess... :P (FireRed)
Credits: GameFreak?
Map:
1oofpx.jpg
Well, to start off, that map is waaaaaaaaay too empty. try adding more things to give it more substance (flowers, bushes, small trees, etc).
Next, there's heaps of shading errors with the trees, it looks absolutely horrible. D: Also, the red-roofed houses are constructed wrong, the roofs are a tile too big, decrease the size a tile.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Well, to start off, that map is waaaaaaaaay too empty. try adding more things to give it more substance (flowers, bushes, small trees, etc).
Next, there's heaps of shading errors with the trees, it looks absolutely horrible. D: Also, the red-roofed houses are constructed wrong, the roofs are a tile too big, decrease the size a tile.
What do you mean by shading errors with the trees? I added more trees/bushes/flowers.

2v2cy9x.jpg

Am I allowed to comment on reviews/update my map?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
What do you mean by shading errors with the trees? I added more trees/bushes/flowers.

2v2cy9x.jpg

Am I allowed to comment on reviews/update my map?
Well, in A-map, there are two trees that look pretty much the same, right? You used the one on the left, and if you look closely, one tree has shading and one hasn't. I can't really be bothered to explain it here, you can just look at a few mapping tutorials.

Anyways, that looks a bit nicer, exept try to keep the flowers in bunches, like in the official games.

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Well, in A-map, there are two trees that look pretty much the same, right? You used the one on the left, and if you look closely, one tree has shading and one hasn't. I can't really be bothered to explain it here, you can just look at a few mapping tutorials.

Anyways, that looks a bit nicer, exept try to keep the flowers in bunches, like in the official games.
Aha! Thats what you meant by shading. I put the flowers into more bunch looking things..

qs4k6t.jpg

Thanks for rating this by the way :)
What do you think about this one?

Years
Aha! Thats what you meant by shading. I put the flowers into more bunch looking things..

qs4k6t.jpg

Thanks for rating this by the way :)
What do you think about this one?

The tree shading is wrong again. On your old version, it was correct, however, in the image below, the parts in the red square need to have the non-shadowed tile.
142wryq.png

Years
You're getting there, but it's still not correct.

121bn75.png

The tiles in the green squares need to lose the shadows, and the tiles in the red squares need to get a shadow.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years

Map Name: Golden Mountain
Map Game: ...
Credits: Alistair, Jenzh, ~Chaos, if I forgot anyone please tell me!
Map:
Spoiler:
This map is superb, as always, altariaking. I don't really like the tree tiles, they look unnatural and oddly colored, but I know you must have a reason to choses them. The mountain tiles are excellent, but it must be an awfully small mountain, compared to say...Mt. Cornet. I like how you put patches of grass even in places that don't really need any, it gives an excellent impression of nature.
Overall, a great map, 9/10.

--------------------------------------------------
My map.
Name: Moon Village (again)
Map Game: Pokemon ShadowStone (Firered)
Comments: I really wasn't happy with the old moon village, I remade it. Also, please don't make comments like "the trees are not very natural", because ShadowStone is gonna be mapped in Nintendo-ish style.
Spoiler:

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
Originally posted by Altariaking:-
Spoiler:

First off I really like the map :) but i think that at the back right of the mountains the trees are in too much of a diagonal line, and i also think that the grass palette is way too blue and the whole map would look so much nicer if the grass was green like the trees. Although I really like the mountain and wild grass tiles :)
Overall Rating - 8/10
Now for mine :P
Name: Path 1
Hack: Hollow
ROM Base: Emerald
Comments: The flower tiles are currently in the process of being changed for blue versions of the ones out of errica's gym :D
Spoiler:

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Now for mine :P
Comments: The flower tiles are currently in the process of being changed for blue versions of the ones out of errica's gym :D
Spoiler:
This map looks cool. Natural. Looks a little like a forest, you should add a way to get back to the start quickly, unless its one of those, "One-way Routes/Paths"". That log thats all alone there, looks odd, and stands out. Move the small ledge up 1/2 spaces and make it 1 tile higher, I think that will look good. Overall, I give it a 7/10 :)

_ _ _ _ _ _

My map :)

Map Name: Route 1
Map Game: FireRed
Credits: GameFreak xD
Map:
war0u8.jpg

I tried to do the shading, I think it looks okay :)

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Spoiler:

I'd like to start off by saying that I absolutely love the tiles you have used here, but some aspects of the map are a bit off in terms of their construction.

Review: There are a number of 'one-tile' paths present in your map (underneath the ledge at the bottom and top of the path in the centre). These paths restrict the movement of the player enormously and can generally be seen as an sign of bad mapping. I'd also like to note that the majority of your route that is not grassy is pretty resticted in comparission to the areas that have long grass - Have a look at the far right path leading out of the map, it has a width of two over ten tiles, where as the central grass patch has heaps of room to move. Try to keep your widths consistent if possible :D

Don't get me wrong, it seems like a nice map, but there are several possibilites to improve it.

Suggestions: Remove all of the one-tile paths from the map - At the very least you can do this by moving the ledge up by one and removing the two small trees at the top. Widen the paths that do not have any grass in them and attempt to keep and widths as consistant as possible.

My map :)

Map Name: Route 1
Credits: GameFreak xD
Map:
war0u8.jpg

I tried to do the shading, I think it looks okay :)

Review: No offense, but this map is extremely poor. Whilst I know you have tried, your results aren't very good.

Your main problem is the construction of the construction of this map - look at all of the empty and barren space - Ingame it is far larger than it looks and is generally unflattering. Unlike the other map I reviewed, you need less space. In addition to your spacing problems, giving the map a sense of direction would also help to make it realise its potential. What the map above does well is give the player a predestined path, which they can follow whereas a player in your game may wander around the boring empty areas with no knowledge as to which way to go.

The tall grass is also a bit on the nose - There is only one patch on the entire route and it is enormous. Space it out throughout the entire route as it will help fill the map and ensure that the player isn't frustrated by walking throught the massive glob in one go.

Finally, whilst you might think you have done well in terms of tree shading, I would argue against it. I can't really point out what needs changing at this moment due to time constraints, but have a look over all of the trees make up your frame and redo the trees in the middle.

Suggestions: Give the player a sense of direction throught the use of pathways rather than open space or sand/gravel instead of open grass. Fill it up with whatever you can imagine (Large trees, small tress, rocks, mountains, lakes, more ledges) the worldtileset is your oyster!

Don't be discouraged by this review: if we all built on our mistakes we would be all the better for it :D

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Bumping my map, nobody rated.

This map is superb, as always, altariaking. I don't really like the tree tiles, they look unnatural and oddly colored, but I know you must have a reason to choses them. The mountain tiles are excellent, but it must be an awfully small mountain, compared to say...Mt. Cornet. I like how you put patches of grass even in places that don't really need any, it gives an excellent impression of nature.
Overall, a great map, 9/10.

--------------------------------------------------
My map.
Name: Moon Village (again)
Map Game: Pokemon ShadowStone (Firered)
Comments: I really wasn't happy with the old moon village, I remade it. Also, please don't make comments like "the trees are not very natural", because ShadowStone is gonna be mapped in Nintendo-ish style.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Bumping my map, nobody rated.
Okay, I know you said don't say the trees aren't natural, but those small trees really look horrible in those big groups, even if you're mapping nintendo style. the big path kinda dominates the map, there's hardly any room to place something like a flower. D: The only decoration you've really put in are those small trees, and I think they look horrible in giant groups, you don't even have flower or bush.

Also, you're using the wrong tile, the "rocky" mountain one instead of what you're supposed to use on one tile.

On the other hand, though, I like the mountain shape, and it's a nice layout. :3

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
Spoiler:

I quite like this map :) especially the range of trees, but the mountains are wrong, you should insert some with grass hanging over the top of them then that would look good. Also the bunch of thin trees at the bottom left looks un-natural. I like how you've laid out the mountains and the stairs on this map though. I would rate this map 7/10.

Now for mine:-
Map Name: Path 4
Hack Name: Hollow
Comments: If you can't notice for yourself this is a sort-of ledge puzzle map. There will be an old woman at the bottom with an abra who teleports you back to the the top if you want to go back to the top. I just realised that there are no flowers on the bottom half of the map so I just added some after this screen shot was taken. The flowers are to be replaced by blue versions of the ones in Errica's gym in Fire Red.

Spoiler:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2023
Now for mine:-
Map Name: Path 4
Hack Name: Hollow
Comments: If you can't notice for yourself this is a sort-of ledge puzzle map. There will be an old woman at the bottom with an abra who teleports you back to the the top if you want to go back to the top. I just realised that there are no flowers on the bottom half of the map so I just added some after this screen shot was taken. The flowers are to be replaced by blue versions of the ones in Errica's gym in Fire Red.
Spoiler:

i actually like the map. and it is possale to make it to the bottom, and it isn't empty (except the flowerless bottom, but you said you added them) i give you a 10/10

Now mine, i have a city from orre (no custom tiles, so it is a house at the north, not a tree)
city name: Agate Village
rom base: ruby
hack: none as of yet (made it for fun)

it is attached.

Years
i actually like the map. and it is possale to make it to the bottom, and it isn't empty (except the flowerless bottom, but you said you added them) i give you a 10/10
Now mine, i have a city from orre (no custom tiles, so it is a house at the north, not a tree)
city name:
Agate Village
it is attached.

Rating: 3/10
This map is poor. First of all, the transition between mountains and water is terrible. Speaking of mountains, the aren't made properly. And there is NEVER a grass to bridge transition. You didn't use the right trees. Look at mapping tutorials.
------------------------------------------------
Name: Mt. Victora
ROM: Firered BPRE
Game: Emerald Skies
Map:
Spoiler:

Comments: A near-end game map. That cave isn't acsessable until you become the league Champion. There's four connecting maps, so don't worry about border errors. The trees and flowers are placeholders.
Credits-
- Kyledove- Tiles
- Alucus- Tiles
- NZ Fury- Tiles
- Cross Core- Tiles
- Wesley FG- Tiles
- Me
- Inserting some tiles, some custom palettes
- Flygon (Altariaking)- Inserting some tiles, some palettes

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years

city name: Agate Village

it is attached.
It looks good, but there are many tile errors with the cliffs, change them to a small cliff? I think thats the way you want it? I never played XD.
It looks empty, plain and pretty boring. Read/watch some Mapping tutorials.

2/10.

Rating: 3/10
This map is poor. First of all, the transition between mountains and water is terrible. Speaking of mountains, the aren't made properly. And there is NEVER a grass to bridge transition. You didn't use the right trees. Look at mapping tutorials.
------------------------------------------------
Name: Mt. Victora
ROM: Firered BPRE
Game: Emerald Skies
Map:
Spoiler:

Comments: A near-end game map. That cave isn't acsessable until you become the league Champion. There's four connecting maps, so don't worry about border errors. The trees and flowers are placeholders.
Credits-
- Kyledove- Tiles
- Alucus- Tiles
- NZ Fury- Tiles
- Cross Core- Tiles
- Wesley FG- Tiles
- Me
- Inserting some tiles, some custom palettes
- Flygon (Altariaking)- Inserting some tiles, some palettes
I think this map is made well, looks empty though... And the small grass looks really green, and plain. What are the trees/flowers placeholders for? You should fill it up a bit more, place some small trees around the area. I really wanna play your hack! 8/10

_ _ _ _ _

My map:

Map Name: Route 1 V3
Credits: GameFreak...

azdr9g.jpg

Comments: Added more things into the map.

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Reviewed Map:
My map:

azdr9g.jpg

Review: Well... There's shadow errors in the trees. =\ That is a major fix you would have to do. And the flower placement isn't that good either. The path is shaped a little weird... but I guess it isn't a major thing. And the trees don't look natural; they're too straight.
Suggestions: Fix tree shadowing, fix flower placement, make trees more natural, Add more tall grass, try and fix sand path shape. (=

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years

It looks good, but there are many tile errors with the cliffs, change them to a small cliff? I think thats the way you want it? I never played XD.
It looks empty, plain and pretty boring. Read/watch some Mapping tutorials.

2/10.

I think this map is made well, looks empty though... And the small grass looks really green, and plain. What are the trees/flowers placeholders for? You should fill it up a bit more, place some small trees around the area. I really wanna play your hack! 8/10

_ _ _ _ _

My map:

azdr9g.jpg

Well, there are a lot of tree shading errors. The map is also too simple to get through, and there are big massive patches of long grass. Also, the ledges seem to straight. The map is also really empty, and I don't really like the flower placement. 0.1/10

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Map name: Route 401
Map game: You aint getting outta me that easily...
Map base: FireRed
Credits: Alistair, Calis Projects, Chaos, VorteX, Zein and if I forgot anyone please tell me
Comments: First route, you come in from the right, up will be the next town you go too, and after that you will be allowed to progress through the left to the next route. Don't worry about the lack of wild Pokemon grass, there will be Pokemon in the sand.
Map:

Yasushi Toshio

Map game: You aint getting outta me that easily...
Map base: FireRed Credits: Alistair, Calis Projects, Chaos, VorteX, Zein and if I forgot anyone please tell me
Comments: First route, you come in from the right, up will be the next town you go too, and after that you will be allowed to progress through the left to the next route. Don't worry about the lack of wild Pokemon grass, there will be Pokemon in the sand. Map:
Spoiler:

Comment :
Very nice map, the little lake has a very nice shape ^^
I really like this map, but it looks like on the top part of the map you have spent to
little attention to the mountain and walking area (not the lake, the lake is great)
because the mountain wall is to straight and the sign blocks the path a little .
In the center left area there are a bit too much white flowers imo.
But further great map!

Verdict :
Make the top mountain wall more natural, move the sign a little and delete some white flowers.

Rating :
7,8 / 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back