• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Distortion World

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
pvHaS.gif

The Distortion World (やぶれたせかい Torn World) is an alternate dimension into which Girantina was banished by Arceus.

The Distortion World. The twisted and warped home of the Pokemon Mascot of third game of the DPPt series, (Platinum): Girantina. What were your thoughts on this strange dimension? Did the puzzle profile somewhat confusing? Or was it easy to solve? What atmosphere did it create while you were playing it, if any? How about the aesthetics aspects of the place? Did you think it was visually appealing, or an eye sore? Did you think the Distortion World had a good amount of substance/storyline content? Did it fulfill the criteria of a good backstory? Did Girantina's design complement its habitat? Or vice versa?

I loved the Distortion World. It was a great side-quest having to solve the puzzle with the help of the three lake guardians. The aesthetics were quite the eye candy and I thought the puzzle weaved through the dimension was quite challenging and quite enjoyable to get through. I also liked the fact that you could hope onto one floating island to the other, and the dimension as a whole (if I dulge into detail - the music in particular), really created a a tense and dramatic atmosphere when battling Cyrus.

What were your thoughts on this strange dimension?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I thought the whole thing was excellently implemented. I was very happy to have found my way there. I thought the puzzle was a little challenging at first, but once I found my bearings It did a good job of telling me what to do.

The story telling that this area offered just went beyond what the previous Pokémon games where able to do, not to mention the way that it all was presented, which obviously couldn't have been achived on GBA

All in all, the area was a great almost-end to Platinum, one of my favorite Pokemon games

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Even though I only explored it once, the Distortion World's concept was very neat. It made good use of the game's 3D capabilities.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I liked it, great use of graphics. I kind of wish there were more opportunities to go there in the game, but it was a nice new feature in Platinum.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Am I wrong in thinking you can't explore the full map after you've left it properly?

[If that makes sense...]

#isthenumbersign
Years
Am I wrong in thinking you can't explore the full map after you've left it properly?

[If that makes sense...]
I know you can go back, but I can't remember if you can like explore the entire place or like do the waterfall thing again.

I personally loved the graphics of the Distortion World. The plot was pretty interesting too, seeing as a Pokemon actually created the whole place. The only thing that bothered me was like the non-standard controls. It gets confusing for me when I have to click the down arrow to go sideways. :P

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
Years
It got irritating after I couldn't figure out the puzzle for a while, but other than that it's one of the awesomest places I've been in a Pokemon game. The waterfall was the best part, IMO. It also added a lot of tension to the point when you meet giratina.

Years
The Distortion World was a really good idea, and provided a nice change of pace from the usual game. The puzzle was a little bit confusing to begin with, but I never found it frustrating, and it was probably the biggest highlight for me in Platinum.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
D/P so needed something intriguing like this... Platinum really delivered on all accounts. The Distortion World was a very good addition and one of the most intriguing atmospheres in any game I've ever played. Seriously, it was just so cool to see everything in there, and the lake guardians, and then the boss battles with Cyrus and Giratina... everything in there was orchestrated really well, and it's one of my favorite parts of any Pokemon game.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
The Distortion World was certainly a well-designed and interesting place.The 3D features that appeared when you walked along either sideways or upside-down was really neat.It was a great challenge as if you didn't pay enough attention you'd easily get confused and lost.

Even though I admit it's one of the most frustrating places I've ever set my foot in,the rewards and experiences you have there make up for it.

Years
I have to say the Distortion World was well designed, it really showed off 3D graphics prior to 5th Generation but the puzzle was a pain.

But still, what better to look at than epic scenery?

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
The Distortion World was awesome.The 3D graphics blew my mind.But the walking on the side confused me a lot.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
Honestly?
The first time I played Planitum, when I reached the Distortion World I was like what will happen now? this is the end of the world!!~
And later, "inside" the Distortion World I couldn't stop thinking wtf is this place?!

But thinking about it now, for me it was an remarkable step in pokemon history because of the very well use of graphic effects.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I think the Distortion World was a good idea that wasn't implemented right.
Only being able to visit it once to catch Giratina, then another time to get the Griseous orb?
How about letting us access more of the Distortion World the second time around, along with having some special grass with special Pokémon in it?

Max'd_Out

Keyblade Master
Years
I really liked the Distortion World. I thought it added an extra dimension (no pun intended) to the storyline; it gave Giratina a purpose other than being seemingly tacked on like it was in D/P. I mean they even gave Heatran that little side quest about the Magma Stone before you caught it. Giratina was kind of just...there. Distortion World made it a lot batter imo

ahmet476

standing around
Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
I liked the distortion world. I thought finally something/some place different in pokemon games. I hoped to get some rare items while I was there though. There were quite a lot of rocks for items to be hidden. The puzzle was not too hard or too easy, imo it was just right. I mean I didn't tore my hair trying to solve it but it wasn't a snap either.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
The Distortion World, or the Reverse World as it's referred to in Giratina and the Sky Warrior, was by far the most epic thing in Platinum and the second most epic thing in all of Pokemon, to be honest.(first was battling Red in SS). I loved the graphics and setting, and it all added up to an absolutely amazing boss battle with Cyrus. I loved Giratina's shadow flying over every once and a while, along with the truly epic waterfall thing and all of the other features.

Can you tell I thought it was AMAZING?!?! It had just the right atmosphere and didn't seem too much like a generic video game underworld (I.e. The Nether in Minecraft)

However, I agree that it should have been accessible more than once. I wish it had more to do so I'd have an excuse to keep playing Platinum.

Last edited:

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
I deeply enjoyed the Distortion World.
It utilized fantastic graphical capabilities, & had only 1 flaw.

Re-visiting it.
If they had implemented some feature, even a conglomeration of specific Pokèmon which are slightly distorted while there, that you could catch.
That would have been enough for me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Pure awesomeness, wish we had a chance to revisit it... maybe even have rematches with Cyrus (and perhaps Mars, who said she was headed there to look for Cyrus after your last battle with her). Maybe if you failed to catch Giratina the first time, you could have been able to rematch it here as well.

But yeah, the whole concept of a desolate, alternate dimension where the laws of time and space don't apply made for some very intriguing gameplay, and helped make Platinum my favorite of all the Pokemon games.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
Since its been a few years since I finished platinum, didn't restart and didnt return save to get the Griseous orb, I dont remember much. But, what I do is that it was quite awesome. The concept of the distorted physics etc was wonderfully implemented and I loved it.

Back