• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you die for your flag?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Broad question, but I think it needs it. It's kind of pretty much asking how much do you value your flag and how far would you go to protect it, and the image it holds/means to you. Share your thoughts!

Actually, on the side, how much do you value your flag? To what extent?

Honest

Hi!
Years
The actual flag? Well, I respect it, and I'll be pretty upset if someone tried to burn it or destroy it for no good reason. But I won't put my body on the line for a flag. That's a little dumb, in my opinion, no offence to anyone. I get patriotism, but if I wanted to die for my country, I'd die for it in a war, not protecting a flag. Flags can be remade. People can't.

Edit: I feel like I took this too literally. If we're talking about country wise, yes. Because I love my country.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
At first when I saw this question I thought it was gonna mean would you die for your territory or something or gang related lol. But good thing it wasnt. I don't have anything I would die for. Especially with the govt. controlling the "flag" IMO the flag doesn't mean anything to the govt anymore. But if terrorist or something came over then ya but other than that I wouldn't "die" for it.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I am happy I live in a place that has all the benefits and freedoms that it does, but I would never ever die for my country. I'm not patriotic at all. I rather just move to a different country if there was a war.

Infamously

Infamous me
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Erm..assuming fighting for the flag represents fighting for your country?

I value the flag as a symbol to my origin. How much I value it is the problem. I don't think I would consider fighting for that flag or 'die' defending it for any reason. I'm not patriotic in that particular sense.

droomph

weeb
Years
No?

If I was defending a flag, nope. I'm a bit of a pyromaniac anyways so watching something burn is pretty awesome to me.

For war? Nah, I'm a huge pussy anyways so that's not an option for me.

And how do I value the flag? Anoyyyyyying as hell.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I don't value the flag of my country much at all. It's simply a representation of my country rather than its actual entity, a symbolic one at that. So I would not choose to die for my flag.

Years
A flag is just a representation of a country, and a country is just an embodiment (theoretically) of good values and ideals. I care about the ideals and values, not the country and certainly not the flag. No way I'm going to die for anything but my own ideals, and even then I'm not keen on dying at all.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Nah, I'm not at all patriotic. If there was a situation where I had to fight for my country then I wouldn't be able to kill another person, let alone be willing to let myself die, just to protect the flag.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I doubt I could die for anything that didn't lie inside my immediate interests/my heart. My country is not one of those things.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Absolutely not. I'm sure I seem selfish for saying this, especially given that there are plenty worse countries to live, but I don't like this country and would never risk my life for it. I'm the least patriotic person I know.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Absolutely not. I'm sure I seem selfish for saying this, especially given that there are plenty worse countries to live, but I don't like this country and would never risk my life for it. I'm the least patriotic person I know.

Pretty much this. The longer I'm alive the less pride I have in my country honestly.

Both of the above statements define me to a T. I couldn't care less about the Great American Corporatocracy. When corporations became people and could "donate" large sums of money to political campaigns and politicians to create policy, I lost all faith in the government. By the way, I have a BA in Political Science.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'm not at all patriotic, and furthermore, patriotism (toward any country) bothers me. I can't stand people who say "I'm proud to be Australian/American/French/whatever" and immediately want to smack them in the mouth and scream "WHERE'S YOUR PRIDE NOW, *****?"

*ahem* I'm sorry you had to see that.

No, I wouldn't die for my flag. Anybody who would is a fool lol.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I respect the flag. I will not damage the flag.

But I'm not going to die for it either. It represents something greater, but it is just cloth

Years
Eeeeeeh. I'm not willing to die for anyone, much less the US, and even less so for the actual flag. The US is okay but it's never worth my life.

I really don't care for flags themselves. They're just... flags. To me they're not important. *shrugs*

Years
I have this fantasy in my head that if I were ever in a moment where I'd have to choose, I'd go all samurai crazy style and die defending my flag. Any flag represents all of the people for which it flies, regardless of what they're like. To not take a stand defending it would mean I'm a soul-less monster with no sense of community.

Granted, you didn't state a specific flag, just a flag that I claim as my own. If it were someone else's flag, I wouldn't feel as devoted without a good reason.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
My legit initial reaction was out loud "Are you serious?" in a wtf are you crazy sort of tone. So yeah... I'm not very patriotic. lol

Back