• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Star Sign (Puzzle game)

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
Game is developed in C# using Microsoft XNA Framework 4.0

It requires installation.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zca76sh3fqtt2an
Last updated Sept. 25th, 2012

This game is called Star Sign. It was inspired by the end credits for the 6th movie, Jirachi Wish Maker. I wanted to make a game that encompassed that feeling when connecting the dots and guessing the Pokemon it symbolized. It is intended to be simple and short, like a game from Pokemon.com's fun zone.

The game plays like this:

Stars will appear on the game screen.
pic1aa.png

Draw out the constellation shown on the right to clear the round.
pic2ix.png

You have 40 seconds per round. Stages get harder over time. More distracting stars will appear, and constellations will become more complex.

As time passes in a round, distracting stars will disappear to help make it easier for you. Clear the round early and you will get bonus points for all the other stars remaining.

Parts unfinished:

About 200 Pokemon are in the game. At most I will probably include 1-386 + formes. I don't know if I'll do it all though.

Everything in the game screen is MS-Painty temp programmer-y art right now. I will deal with that later...

If you find any other bugs I would like to hear them.

Credits:

Sprites edited from Pokemon Ranger, Pokemon Trozei, or made by self.
Music from Etrian Odyssey 3.
Sound effects from Pokemon Black and White.
Programmed by self.

Last edited:

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
Update 9/17/2012

I have updated the download link for the game. Changes include:

-Various Freeze bug fixes
-Records now works, functioning as a high score keeper and a "pokedex" of sorts.
-200 Pokemon available.

I know this isn't the same kind of loftily set epic adventure Pokemon fangame like most of the other threads on this forum. Like Pokemon.com flash games to mainstream games, no one ever pays attention to this corner of spinoffs' spinoffs. But if this game even remotely catches your interest, I would like some feedback on the difficulty curve, and perhaps what parts of the game were hardest for you and vice versa. Like everyone else's games on this thread, I want to make it a fun experience.

Hope you enjoy.

Years
I gave this a spin yesterday, and it looks good! Unfortunately, the first time I ran it, it crashed after the sixth one was completed. I guess there might be a buggy Pokemon entry in there, so if there are any logs it outputs that you could use, I can send them. Just tell me where to find it!

I also think sometimes that the way the Pokémon are placed could be improved. At one point I had a Squirtle that was half off-screen because of where the stars were.

I like it, though! Do you have plans for more little games like this?

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
Oh thank you NikNaks. I think a bad one might have snuck in there somewhere after all. It does seem that some Pokemon being not totally covered by their constellations will sometimes appear in a place legal for the stars, but strange-looking for the screen. Perhaps the way the Pokemon get handled will have to change.

I made this game because of the inspiration given by the 6th Movie. Also was the fact that this concept seemed to be something that nothing else would fit as well as it would for Pokemon. When I get ideas like those, it's hard to resist working on them. :)

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 1, 2024
Star sign update

Another update.

-Crashes in the early part of the game should be removed.
-Pokemon constellations will appear in the screen and not be cut off as much as before.

Aside from bugs, I will probably be steering away from technical improvement after this and work more on the graphical improvement for subsequent updates.

Back