• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriting Tutorials - Pokemon and Trainer

firebolt12

pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2012
Nice! this was super helpful! I really like this:)^^

AWESOME! I think you do great with circles() :)O = magical with your twists!

Last edited:

mysticjoshgaming

mr awesome guy
Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
nice tutorials! they helped me a lot in the following sprites! (they will be shown in my game):)

Years
  • Seen Feb 4, 2012
This is a good tutorial, just about the pixel-over tutorial, say i'm talking about umbreon,wouldn't it be easier to make the black just 1 shade then shade it from scratch?

Years
This is a good tutorial, just about the pixel-over tutorial, say i'm talking about umbreon,wouldn't it be easier to make the black just 1 shade then shade it from scratch?

That would be another way but the reason there are those multiple colours is because the shading from the art is also being traced as well. As you can see in the Umbreon pixel over, the blue parts represent the shaded parts from the art. Shading from scratch is good too, but the other method is recommended if you are lacking shading experience.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Regarding the pixel-over tutorial, while you would probably get a better result by drawing the shading to match the style yourself, that's not what I had in mind while writing it. Back in 2009, the Pixel Art board was overrun by rom hackers looking for people to make sprites for their games; I made these tutorials to teach them how to make sprites for themselves, and tried to keep them as simple as possible.

DaBomb137

I like cheese
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 8, 2014
Great tutorials! I was able to make these sprites with them, but I'm having trouble with overworld sprites and and back sprites for these trainers. Can anyone help?

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2024

With your tutorials i was able to switch this:
Spoiler:

To this:
Spoiler:

Thanks

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Yes, though it varies depending on the hardware. For the GBA games, it's sixteen colors... That's fifteen colors used in the sprite itself, and one found nowhere else on the sprite as the background. So technically, to remain consistent with the style, you should use fifteen colors. I'm not sure about DS games...

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
I'm pretty sure all the sprites (trainers and Pokémon alike) in the DS games have the same 15 colours + transparency limit.

Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2011
Nice Tutorials. Too bad , i cant do pixel art.Never turns out right.

ProGuava

ʇnoɥs puɐ ʇsıʍʇ
Years
very good tutorial!

Im impressed, and I have already made a decent amt. of "ok" trainers xD

Im not too good with spriting....

:P

Pikα22

<BW GBC?
Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2013
Using the Overworld tutorial, I was able to get this:
SilverFRLG.png

Silver in FR/LG style​

Kyther

Pokemon Freedom Developer
Years
Thanks Chesu for these tutorials, they're great. I was able to make this from them. The overworld in HGSS style, also helped from other overworlds.

The battle graffic needs a little work but I don't know what to do. (The head looks weird and left hand.)
The overworlds hair also needs work but I just can't do it.

Attachments

• Male hero.png
    Male hero.png
    913 bytes · Views: 196
  • Male hero overworld.png
    Male hero overworld.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 7
Back