• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[NU] Counter that 'mon!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While using Roost, Altaira becomes vunerable to Camerupt Earth Power. Also, I believe my Camerupt can OHKO Zebstrika.

If not...

Throth @ Focus sash
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Shadow Claw
-Rest

Earthquake. Plain and simple.

Most of the Pokemon who can have those moves legally are in RU and above (except for Ursaring, who prefers to have different sets altogether). If you're referring to Throh, as in the Pokemon, it can't learn Shadow Claw. (just saying)

Anyway, to counter Zephy's mon:
195.gif

Quagsire
-Scald
-Earthquake
-Recover
-Toxic/Stockpile
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Unaware

Quagsire is immune to both Zebstrika's Volt Switch and Thunderbolt, while it takes little damage from Overheat and HP Ice. It can either KO Zebstrika with Earthquake, make Zebstrika suffer a slow, but painful KO through Toxic or use Stockpile to make it harder for Zebstrika to damage.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
Quagsire is in RU, not NU. But just to keep the ball rolling...

V4km2.gif

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Modest nature
172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis​

Quagsire's Earthquake only 3HKOes Vileplume, which it can easily heal off after OHKOing Quagsire with Giga Drain. Vileplume can also put Quagsire to sleep.

While using Roost, Altaira becomes vunerable to Camerupt Earth Power.
Earth Power only 4HKOes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Quagsire is in RU, not NU. But just to keep the ball rolling...

V4km2.gif

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Modest nature
172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis​

Quagsire's Earthquake only 3HKOes Vileplume, which it can easily heal off after OHKOing Quagsire with Giga Drain. Vileplume can also put Quagsire to sleep.

Earth Power only 4HKOes.

Eh, I'd better check the tiers again. My bad xD

Anyway:
126.gif

Magmar
-Fire Blast/Lava Plume
-Focus Blast
-Will-o-Wisp/Hidden Power (Grass)
-Substitute
Nature: Modest
EVs: 212 HP/252 SAtk/44 Spe
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Vital Spirit

Thanks to Vital Spirit, Magmar can't be put to sleep by Sleep Powder and can either: outright KO or severely damage Vileplume with Fire Blast or Lava Plume or set up a Substitute as Vileplume switches. As a bonus, Eviolite also helps Magmar take whatever Vileplume can throw at it.

Years
608.gif

Lampent@Eviolite
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP/252 Special Attack/44 Speed
-Fire Blast
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Pain Split

Magmar can only hope to hurt Lampent with Hidden Power Grass and is completely walled if it uses Will-o-Wisp. Meanwhile, Lampent can break any Substitute that Magmar puts up and wear down Magmar with Shadow Ball.

Years
Holy crap long thread is long, nice to see lampent actually getting some love, instead of COUGH*AMOONGUSS*COUGH.

anyway,

WHAT THE DUCK!?? (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Toxic

hell yeah, porygon2 is my favorite pokemon and one of the best walls in UU, but porygon is also a good wall (in NU) and packs quite a punch. It comes in on lampent and TRACES FLASH FIRE, while shadow ball cant do anything. So lampent basically can't do anything and a shadow ball is a 2HKO

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
538.gif

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful nature
- Circle Throw
- Bulk Up
- Rest
- Payback​

Porygon's Tri Attack fails to 4HKO Throh, while Throh can make a pretty massive dent in Porygon's health before forcing it out with Circle Throw. Or Throh can use Bulk Up four times, then OHKO Porygon. With Guts, Throh can even use Porygon's status to its advantage.

Years
Haunter (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Disable

Haunter can come in on a predicted bulk up or circle throw, set up a sub, then disable payback. Since throh has nothing else to hit it with, haunter can just slowly wear it down with shadow ball

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
573.gif

Cinccino @Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Tail Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- U-Turn

Bullet Seed and Rock Blast can break Haunter's sub. Both attacks are a 2HKO too. Haunter has no choice but to switch or go down.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HCQ94.gif

Probopass @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Bold Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Earth Power / Power Gem
- Volt Switch

Thanks to high defensive stats, and typing, Probo resists everything Cinccino throws at it, barely leaving a scratch. It can then set up SR or T-Wave the expected Pokemon coming in on it.

Years
Gurdurr (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Comes in, sponges the T-wave due to guts, takes little damage from earth power/power gem, and threaten to ohko(bar sturdy) with drain punch. can also bulk up or ice punch to predict the switch to *insert pokemon here*.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
6UO0t.gif

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Syncronize
240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Heal Bell

Due to the above Gurdurr lacking Payback, Musharna can easily switch in and proceed to set up on it, while taking barely any damage due to the defensive evs and nature, and healing off the damage it does to it. As an added bonus you could also use Rocky Helmet which could hurt Gurdurr on the switch in but w/e suits you! At this point you could proceed to CM for the expected Pokemon that is bound to switch in.

Years
Scyther @evolite
Trait: Idc
252 atk evs, use the rest for either speed ot defensive purposes

Sword dance
X-scissor
(type covrtage)
(type coverage)

I know its stupid to face a wall like musharna with a sweeper but I'm sure scyther can easily set up with a swordance or 2 then proceed to Ohko the female version of hypno ^-^

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Scyther @evolite
Trait: Idc
252 atk evs, use the rest for either speed ot defensive purposes

Sword dance
X-scissor
(type covrtage)
(type coverage)

I know its stupid to face a wall like musharna with a sweeper but I'm sure scyther can easily set up with a swordance or 2 then proceed to Ohko the female version of hypno ^-^

Only problem is Scyther is in RU, rather than NU. ;(
Either way I shall still reply!

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Trait: White Smoke
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Due to its high defensive stats it can easily switch into Scyther and proceed to burn it with Lava Plume with a 30% chance of burning so other Pokemon that have low defences aren't threatened, Yawn it out or set up SR for its switch in. However given it's NU that's pretty impossible but still!! n_n

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Ludicolo @Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest nature
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Surf should be a KO though I can't say that I'm quite sure since I haven't made any calculations yet.

Years
&skylight: someone revive nu counter tht mon

Ludicolo (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SAtk / 104 SDef
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

Tanks giga drain all day, everyday, recovers with rain dish+lefties+giga drain. Wears the other ludicolo down with LO+ Toxic.

I'd also like to quote something from the Ludicolo analysis by smogon:
"Well, with every set performing nearly entirely differently, there really is just one Ludicolo counter: itself."

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Duosion
578.gif

-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Signal Beam
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard

Duosion takes nothing from Scald's burns, Toxic and Leech Seed thanks to Magic Guard and can easily use Ludicolo as setup fodder for Calm Mind. It also has Recover to heal off whatever Ludicolo does to it.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
435.gif

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 216 HP/252 ATK/40 Spdef

-Taunt
-Pursuit
-Sucker Punch
-Roar

With this spread, Skuntank will only take 22%-27% damage from a Duosion's Signal Beam that has no SpA investment. In fact, it will only have a 46%~ chance to OHKO Skuntank even with 6 Calm Mind boosts meaning Skuntank can normally always switch in on Duosion comfortably and scare it with Pursuit. Pursuit will deal 50%-60% of this Duosion's health with its particular EV investments if it switches. Taunt blocks Duosion from Recover stalling and setting up with CM.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
435.gif

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 216 HP/252 ATK/40 Spdef

-Taunt
-Pursuit
-Sucker Punch
-Roar

With this spread, Skuntank will only take 22%-27% damage from a Duosion's Signal Beam that has no SpA investment. In fact, it will only have a 46%~ chance to OHKO Skuntank even with 6 Calm Mind boosts meaning Skuntank can normally always switch in on Duosion comfortably and scare it with Pursuit. Pursuit will deal 50%-60% of this Duosion's health with its particular EV investments if it switches. Taunt blocks Duosion from Recover stalling and setting up with CM.

Roar...?

Nevertheless, Golem has great Defence and there's nothing Skuntank can do to it other than stop it from setting up SR, otherwise Sucker Punch doesn't do that much to Golem, in which it can easily use Earthquake back in return and OHKO it.

Golem @ Leftovers
212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Roar...?

Nevertheless, Golem has great Defence and there's nothing Skuntank can do to it other than stop it from setting up SR, otherwise Sucker Punch doesn't do that much to Golem, in which it can easily use Earthquake back in return and OHKO it.

Golem @ Leftovers
212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock

Was just filler, didn't need a 4th move to counter Duosion.

Spoiler:

^Made that before I realized it might not be different enough from the Sawk Forever first used, oops.

Spoiler:

Wait, someone used Cinccino too. ;_; If I think of something else I'll edit again.

Tangela can eat any of Golem's attacks while staying healthy with Giga Drain, which in turn will have no trouble finishing off Golem.

Tangela @ Eviolite
Regenerator / Bold
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Rock
-Sleep Powder
-Knock Off

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Tangela @ Eviolite
Regenerator / Bold
252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Rock
-Sleep Powder
-Knock Off

Hypno @ Leftovers
Trait: Insomnia
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

Hypno takes only around 20% from each Giga Drain, allowing it to switch in, use Nasty Plot, use Trick Room and then proceed to 2HKO Tangela without dying, or just all out attack it with Psychic and set up Trick Room, pretty much 3-4HKOing Tangela. Knock Off only does around 7% to it which means it can lose Leftovers and set up NP or TR if it wants and still not die against Tangela.

Back