• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Base-Stat-Total Limit Challenge!

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Alrighty, I don't know if this has been done before but I haven't seen it on the forum, so here is the BST challenge! Essentially, the rule is that you are not permitted to use any Pokemon with more than 500 BST in your playthrough (500 is allowed however), at any time. The full list of banned Pokemon is as follows:
Banned Pokemon
Spoiler:

As fate would have it, all NFE Pokemon are allowed with the exception of Porygon2 (yes, even Rhydon).

Note that as all Pokemon in RBY have much lower BST values due to the singular Special stat, the above challenge will ignore RBY.

RBY Rules:
Since a couple of people have requested it, I have added up each Pokemon's BST in the first generation by doubling their Special stat (thereby giving them an effective Sp Def stat to add to their BSTs). Due to the stat changes of GSC, some RBY Pokemon are legal that are not in later games (eg. Snorlax), and vice-versa (eg. Alakazam). Here is the full list of bans in Red, Blue and Yellow if you wish to do this challenge in one of those games:
Spoiler:

There we have it! You could combine this with a Nuzlocke to make it extra-difficult, or as a standalone challenge. If you grab an everstone in your challenge, that could be particularly useful to stop things like 2nd-stage Starters or Vigoroth from evolving and becoming illegal. Sign up and I'll add you to the list, just say your username, the game you are playing through, and any additional rules you wish to impose on yourself (such as Nuzlocke rules, etc etc).

Current Challengers:
Spoiler:

Champions:
Spoiler:

----------

I'll start off, doing a stat-limit playthrough of Ruby! I'll post my first bit of progress soon. Special thanks to Jak for the approval!

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Username: KoboraX
Game: Normally, I'd start with Red, but since Gen 1 is banned, I'll start with Silver
Extra Rules: Togetic Solo run. I was planning to do Furret, but I've never used Togetic in Gen 2 before, so I want to give it a shot.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Username: KoboraX
Game: Normally, I'd start with Red, but since Gen 1 is banned, I'll start with Silver
Extra Rules: Togetic Solo run. I was planning to do Furret, but I've never used Togetic in Gen 2 before, so I want to give it a shot.

Okey-dokey, you've been added to the challengers list!

----------

Name: HeroesAndCons
Game: Ruby
Extra Rules:
- Nuzlocke standard rules, with one exception - if the Pokemon I encounter is illegal, or would evolve by level to an illegal Pokemon, I can disregard it and look for a Pokemon that would be suitable; I can only do this once per route, however.
- Using the Universal Randomiser, I have turned all Trade evolutions into Level evolutions, though the likelihood of this being necessary in Ruby is pretty low.

Part 1: All your crap Pokemon are belong to us
Name: Jackson
Starter: Treecko (Colton) - Male - Lv 5 - Calm Nature - Overgrow

Grinded Treecko to Lv 7 on Route 101
Oldale Town: Obtained Potion, bought Potion x4, Antidote x2
Beat May on Route 103 with Colton Lv 7.
Went back to Littleroot and obtainec Pokedex, Pokeball x5, Running Shoes

Route 101: Caught Wurmple (Debra) - Female - Lv 2 - Hardy Nature - Shield Dust
Route 103: Caught Zigzagoon (Cindy) - Female - Lv 3 - Bold Nature - Pickup
Purchased Pokeball x5 in Oldale Town.

Grinded on Route 103 for the following team:
-----------
Colton Lv 9
Cindy Lv 7
Debra Lv 2
-----------

Not a big start but I'm not gonna rush it, since BST limit + Nuzlocke rules = pain.

Here's Part 2 of my run. For anyone who wants to do their own BST-limit challenge, remember to check what is banned or not banned in the OP so you don't possess an illegal Pokemon on your team.

Part 2: One Lucky Sonofagun

Route 102:
- Caught Poochyena (Thea) - Female - Lv 3 - Calm Nature - Run Away
- Obtained Full Restore, Ultra Ball, Nugget and Rare Candy from Pickup.
- Defeated all Trainers and grabbed the berries.
- Grinded Thea to Lv 9; Thea learned Howl and Sand Attack.
- Grinded Debra to Lv 7; Debra learned Poison Sting.
- Debra evovled to Cascoon and learned Harden.
- Cindy reached Lv 8.

Petalburg City:
- Healed up at Pokecentre.
- Met Norman and helped Wally.
- Desposited Debra in the PC.

Route 104:
- Caught Taillow (Kelly) - Female - Lv 4 - Careful Nature - Guts
- Cindy reached Lv 9 and learned Headbutt.
- Kelly reached Lv 9 and learned Quick Attack.
- Defeated all Trainers and grabbed the berries.

Petalburg City:
- Obtained Nugget from Pickup.
- Sold both Nuggets at Mart.
- Healed at Pokecentre before entering Petalburg Woods.

Petalburg Woods:
- Caught Shroomish (Riley) - Female - Lv 5 - Serious Nature - Effect Spore
- F**K YEAH! I was hoping for one of these bad boys.
- Obtained Potion.

Route 104:
- Obtained Pokaball.

- Obtained Ultra Ball from Pickup.
- Grinded Riley to Lv 10; Riley learned Stun Spore and Leech Seed.

Current Team:
-------------

Cindy Lv 9 - Zigzagoon (F) - Bold - Pickup - Headbutt / Tackle / Growl / Tail Whip
Thea Lv 9 - Poochyena (F) - Calm - Run Away - Tackle / Howl / Sand Attack
Colton Lv 9 - Treecko (M) - Calm - Overgrow - Pound / Leer / Absorb
Kelly Lv 9 - Taillow (F) - Careful - Guts - Peck / Quick Attack / Focus Energy / Growl
Riley Lv 10 - Shroomish (F) - Serious - Effect Spore - Absorb / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
-------------

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
Years
Hmm...since Gen 1 "Special" doubled for both Sp. Atk and Sp. Def, you could in theory just double the special stat when calculating BST, couldn't you? I just like having the Gen 1 option if I can =D

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Hmm...since Gen 1 "Special" doubled for both Sp. Atk and Sp. Def, you could in theory just double the special stat when calculating BST, couldn't you? I just like having the Gen 1 option if I can =D

Not so much. That WOULD work if every Gen 1 pokemon's special defense had stayed the same in the transition from Gen 1 to Gen 2, but alas they did not, so it's more difficult to find a threshold that doesn't either allow too many superpowered Pokemon or be too restrictive, especially in the first generation. Nidoking/Queen and Clefable, for example, are mediocre at best yet have higher BST (even in RBY) than Alakazam, who is a monster in that generation and nigh-unkillable. Really, if I did allow RBY I'd have to implement other additional rules to balance it out, which would be too complicated and undermine the challenge itself, which is one simple rule and nothing more.

Plus in RBY you can literally blast through the entire game with any decent psychic type, including Hypno, Starmie or the aforementioned Alakazam - all of which would be legal in this challenge. There would be no challenge unless I additionally banned Psychic types, which would leave you with a choice of about 15 fully evolved Pokemon in the whole game.

GaryFreakingOak

8 badges in Kanto? I got 10.
Years
What I'm saying though is calculate it as if the Special stat just counted twice-for example Alakazam effectively had a 135 base Sp. Atk and Sp. Def in RBY, which essentially gave it a BST of 540 back then. And Hypno really had a total of 525 so it couldn't be used either.

But its really not a big deal, and would be pretty weird now that I think about it. Pretty much every physically attacking pokemon (looking at you, Snorlax and Machamp) had serious issues due to no special defense in that generation, and any specially-oriented pokemon was crazy powerful. Even Gyarados had a beastly Sp. Attack back then, haha.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
What I'm saying though is calculate it as if the Special stat just counted twice-for example Alakazam effectively had a 135 base Sp. Atk and Sp. Def in RBY, which essentially gave it a BST of 540 back then. And Hypno really had a total of 525 so it couldn't be used either.

Ah, I see. Truth be told though, with the special split in Gen 2 many pokemon got nerfed hard, while others got a major boost, so even doing this 500 wouldn't be suitable really, I'd have to work out a good value that would ensure it still balanced out fairly well (which quite frankly I CBA doing). Still, you've got FR/LG if you want a Kanto advanture, and they are much more balanced in terms of legal Pokemon as well as encounters, so I don't see much problem in ignoring RBY here; if FR/LG didn't exist it would be another matter entirely.

----------

On a separate note, here's Part 3 of my challenge!

Part 3:

Team:
-------
Cindy Lv 9 - Zigzagoon (F) - Bold - Pickup - Headbutt / Tackle / Growl / Tail Whip
Thea Lv 9 - Poochyena (F) - Calm - Run Away - Tackle / Howl / Sand Attack
Colton Lv 9 - Treecko (M) - Calm - Overgrow - Pound / Leer / Absorb
Kelly Lv 9 - Taillow (F) - Careful - Guts - Peck / Quick Attack / Focus Energy / Growl
Riley Lv 10 - Shroomish (F) - Serious - Effect Spore - Absorb / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
-------

Petalburg Woods:
- Assisted Devon Researcher; slaughtered Magma Grunt's Poochyena.
- Obtained Super Potion from Pickup.
- Cindy reached Lv 11, Kelly reached Lv 10.

Route 104:
- Obtained Potion, Pokeball, X Defend, TM09 Bullet Seed, and the Wailmer Pail.
- Kelly reached Lv 12, Colton reached Lv 10.

Rustboro City:
- Healed up at Pokecentre; stored Colton in PC.
- Bought Pokeballs, Super Potions and Antidotes at Mart.
- Obtained the Quick Claw.
- Obtained HM01 Cut; taught Cut to Cindy.

Route 115:
- Obtained Super Potion.

Route 116:
- Caught Whismur (Leon) - Male - Lv 7 - Gentle Nature - Soundproof
- Obtained Full Heal and Super Potion from Pickup.
- Riely reached Lv 14; Thea reached Lv 12.

Rustboro City:
- Stored Leon in PC.
- Entered Rustboro Gym.
- Gym Trainers swept away with Riley's Absorb.

----------
Leader Roxanne Battle:
- Roxanne sent out Geodude (Lv 14); Jackson sent out Riley (Lv 15).
- Riley used Absorb!
- Geodude used Rock Tomb! Riley's speed fell.
- Riley used Absorb; Geodude fainted!
- Riley learned Mega Drain!
- Roxanne sent out Nosepass.
- Nosepass used Rock Throw!
- Riley used Stun Spore! Nosepass was paralyzed.
- Riley used Leech Seed! Nosepass was seeded.
- Nosepass used Rock Throw! Nosepass was leeched by the seed.
- Riley used Mega Drain!
- Nosepass used Rock Tomb! Riley speed fell!
- Roxanne used Potion on Nosepass!
- Riley used Mega Drain! Nosepass was leeched by the seed.
- Riley used Mega Drain! Nosepass was leeched by the seed.
- Nosepass was paralysed!
- Riley used Mega Drain! Nosepass fainted!
- Jackson won!
----------

- Obtained Stone Badge and TM39 Rock Tomb.

Current Team:
-------------
Cindy Lv 12 - Zigzagoon (F) - Bold - Pickup - Headbutt / Tackle / Growl / Cut
Thea Lv 12 - Poochyena (F) - Calm - Run Away - Tackle / Howl / Sand Attack
Kelly Lv 12 - Taillow (F) - Careful - Guts - Peck / Quick Attack / Focus Energy / Growl
Riley Lv 16 - Shroomish (F) - Serious - Effect Spore - Mega Drain / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
-------------

Part 4, Baby! And don't be afraid to sign up guys, it's a tricky challenge but it's neither complicated nor impossible!

Part 4: Surf's Up, Dudes!

Team:
-------
Thea Lv 12 - Poochyena (F) - Calm - Run Away - Tackle / Howl / Sand Attack
Kelly Lv 12 - Taillow (F) - Careful - Guts - Peck / Quick Attack / Focus Energy / Growl
Riley Lv 16 - Shroomish (F) - Serious - Effect Spore - Mega Drain / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
-------

Route 116:
- DEATH! - Thea (Poochyena) - Level 12 - VS Trainer's Whismur
- Obtained Ether and many berries.
- RAAAWWWRRR! PEECKO!

Rusturf Tunnel:
- Obtained Pokeball
- Saved Peecko, beat Magma Grunt and obtained the Devon Goods.
- Kelly reached Lv 13 and learned Wing Attack.
- Obtained Full Restore by Pickup.

Rustboro City:
- Gave Devon Researcher the Devon Goods.
- Obtained Pokenav and Letter.
- Rested at Pokecentre.
- Deposited Thea into Dead Box.

Petalburg Woods:
- Obtained Miracle Seed; gave Miracle Seed to Riley.
- Obtained multiple X-Items.

Route 104:
- Talked to Mr Briney and sailed to Dewford Town.

Dewford Town:
- Healed at Pokecentre and headed North immedately.

Route 106:
- Kelly reached Lv 15.
- Obtained Pokeball and Stardust.
- Obtained Rare Candy from Pickup.

Granite Cave:
- Obtained HM05 Flash.
- Caught Makuhita (Helga) - Female - Lv 8 - Docile Nature - Thick Fat

Dewford Town:
- Withdrew Colton; taught Colton Flash.
- Entered Dewford Gym.
- Helga reached Lv 11 and learned Arm Thrust.
- Kelly reached Lv 16.
- Obtained Full Restore from Pickup.

----------
Leader Brawly Battle:
- Brawly sent out Machop (Lv 17)! Jackson sent out Kelly (Lv 16)!
- Kelly used Wing Attack!
- Machop used Seismic Toss!
- Kelly used Wing Attack! Machop fainted!
- Brawly sent out Makuhita (Lv 18)! Jackson sent out Riley (Lv 16)!
- Makuhita used Bulk Up! Its Attack and Defense were raised.
- Riley used Leech Seed! Makuhita was leeched by the seed.
- Makuhita used Arm Thrust! Hit x3.
- Riley used Stun Spore! Makuhita was paralysed! Makuhita was leeched by the seed.
- Riley used Mega Drain!
- Makuhita is paralysed! Makuhita was leeched by the seed.
- Jackson used Potion on Kelly.
- Makuhita used Arm Thrust! Hit x2. Makuhita was leeched by the seed.
- Riley used Mega Drain!
- Makuhita used Arm Thrust! Hit x5. Makuhita was leeched by the seed. Makuhita fainted!
- Jackson won!
----------

- Riley reached Lv 17.
- Received Knuckle Badge and TM08 Bulk Up.
- Healed at Pokecentre.

Current Team:
-------------
Kelly Lv 16 - Taillow (F) - Careful - Guts - Wing Attack / Quick Attack / Focus Energy / Growl
Riley Lv 17 - Shroomish (F) - Serious - Effect Spore - Mega Drain / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
Helga Lv 11 - Makuhita (F) - Docile - Thick Fat - Tackle / Focus Energy / Sand Attack / Arm Thrust
Colton Lv 10 - Treecko (M) - Calm - Overgrow - Absorb / Pound / Leer / Flash
-------------
Death Toll: 1

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Would it be possible to do RBY with the Special stat counting double toward BST?

I have now added in a banlist for RBY if you wish to do those games. ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Once my Black cart arrives from Amazon, I will be doing the challenge simultaneously on Black/White.

Fair enough, although you could do one on an earlier game in the meantime. I'll be sure to add your challenge as soon as you post it.

-----

Part 5: Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away

Granite Cave:
- Obtained Escape Rope.
- Used Flash to illuminate the area.
- Obtained Pokeball and the Everstone.
- Helga reached Lv 15 and learned Vital Throw!
- Gave Steven Stone the Letter and obtained TM 47 Steel Wing.
- Escape Roped out of this zubat-infested hellhole.

Dewford City:
- Deposited Colton in PC.
- Hitched a ride to Slateport (or at least, the beach) with Mr Briney.

Route 109:
- Obtained the Soft Sand.
- Obtained Soda Pop x6, and bought a sh*t-ton more.
- Kelly reached Lv 17, Helga reached 17 and Riley reached Lv 18.

Slateport City:
- Bought Harbor Mail.
- Spent $50 entering the museum (what a ripoff).
- Obtained TM46 Thief.
- Gave the Devon Goods to Cpt. Stern.
- Defeated the Magma Grunts.
- Cpt. Stern didn't give me a reward! Cheap b*stard.
- Cindy reached Lv 13.

Route 110:
- Caught Wingull (Gordon) - Male - Lv 12 - Docile Nature - Keen Eye
- Entered Trick Master's house.
- Obtained Ultra Ball from Pickup.
- Did the stupid challenge and received Rare Candy.
- Kelly reached Lv 20.

Route 103:
- Helga reached Lv 19 and learned Fake Out.
- Picked the berries.

Route 110:
- Obtained Dire Hit.
- Battled May - Won, 1 Death.
- DEATH! - Kelly (Taillow) - Level 20 - VS May's Shroomish (f*cking paralysis!)
- Obtained Great Ball and Pokeball.
- Riley reached Lv 20; Helga reached Lv 22; Gordon reached Lv 13 and learned Wing Attack!

Mauville City:
- Healed up at PC.
- Deposited Kelly into Deadbox.
- Traded Harbor Mail for Coin Case.
- Obtained the Mach Bike.

Current Team:
-------------
Cindy Lv 13 - Zigzagoon (F) - Bold - Pickup - Headbutt / Tackle / Growl / Cut
Riley Lv 20 - Shroomish (F) @ Miracleseed - Serious - Effect Spore - Mega Drain / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
Helga Lv 22 - Makuhita (F) - Docile - Thick Fat - Vital Throw / Fake Out / Tackle / Arm Thrust
Gordon Lv 13 - Wingull (M) - Docile - Keen Eye - Wing Attack / Water Gun / Supersonic / Growl
-------------

Another death, and this time it's a Pokemon I actually wanted to keep! Ah, crap.

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Finally got started on Silver. So far, I'm up to Azalea Town, about to head into Ilex Forest.

togepi.png

Eggman (Togepi) M Lv. 22 @ Nothing
Moves: Swift, Sweet Kiss, Mud-Slap, Metronome​

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
My Black cart is estimated to arrive on Friday, so I'll start White on Wednesday and alternate days for a while.

(Interesting note: no Gen V mons have exactly 500 BST. Seismitoad is the highest-BST legal Pokemon in B/W at 499 BST.)

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Username: GucciMeme
Game: HeartGold
Challenge: Single

Question: Can I hack in certain pokemon I want if they are regularly found in-game? For example, Heracross is very difficult to find, so am I allowed to put it in the game?

Planned team for reference:

Heracross
Rhydon
Dragonair
Lanturn
Scizor
Fearow

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Well, Johto is done. Just gotta do Kanto now, and the run is complete, but with how overleveled I am, I don't think getting through Kanto will be that hard :P

togetic.png

Eggman (Togetic) M Lv. 66 @ Amulet Coin
Moves: Swift, Shadow Ball, Mud-Slap, Fly​

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Username: GucciMeme
Game: HeartGold
Challenge: Single

Question: Can I hack in certain pokemon I want if they are regularly found in-game? For example, Heracross is very difficult to find, so am I allowed to put it in the game?

As it says in the OP, you may add in any additional rules you want as long as you note them in your signup sheet. You can hack, do a nuzlocke run, a monotype, a solo run (as KoboraX is doing) or anything else,just make sure you make it clear what you are doing when you sign up (I assume you will be more specific in your intentions in your next post so I will not count this one specifically as your sign up sheet).

Well, Johto is done. Just gotta do Kanto now, and the run is complete, but with how overleveled I am, I don't think getting through Kanto will be that hard :P

togetic.png

Eggman (Togetic) M Lv. 66 @ Amulet Coin

Well I'm impressed, although I wonder exactly how you will do against Red's extremely high-levelled Snorlax and Lapras... :P I would ask why you still have Mud Slap, but meh, whatever tickles your pickle I guess.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Well I'm impressed, although I wonder exactly how you will do against Red's extremely high-levelled Snorlax and Lapras... :P I would ask why you still have Mud Slap, but meh, whatever tickles your pickle I guess.

Red doesn't have Lapras in Gen 2. He has an Espeon in place of Lapras. As for keeping Mud-Slap, it's a good move to have when you're dealing with Blue's Rhydon and Red's deadly Snorlax with the 100% chance of lowering accuracy, which is part of how I beat Red's Snorlax (along with a crit with Swift) and a lot of using Hyper Potions. Overall, I swept through Kanto. Naturally, Blue gave me some problems, but I still made it through.

Team Zero (Final)

togetic.png

Eggman (Togetic) M Lv. 81 @ Amulet Coin
Final Stats: 238/125/186/192/232/132

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
Ah, finally completed the exam I was worried about most, so time for a break I think :) Well, finally got the chance to update to Part 6, so here goes!

Part 6: Priority is First Priority

Route 118:
- Gordon reached Lv 16.

Mauville City:
- Battled Wally - Won, No Deaths.
- Obtained HM06 Rock Smash.
- Taught Rock Smash to Cindy.

Route 117:
- Obtained Revive and Great Ball.
- Gordon reached Lv 19
- Riley reached Lv 21
- Caught Marill (Jerry) - Male - Lv 13 - Naughty Nature - Thick Fat

Verdanturf Town:
- Sold Revive and X Speed.

Rusturf Tunnel:
- Gordon reached Lv 20.

Mauville City:
- Entered Maville Gym.
- Beat all Gym Trainers.
- Riley reached Lv 23 and learned Headbutt!
- Riley evolved to Breloom and learned Mach Punch!
- Deposited Jerry in PC.
- Challenged Leader Wattson...

----------
Leader Wattson Battle:
- Wattson sent out Magnemite (Lv 22)! Jackson sent out Riley (Lv 23)!
- Riley used Mach Punch! It's Super Effective! Magnemite fainted.
- Wattson sent out Voltorb (Lv 20)!
- Voltorb used Spark! It's not very effective...
- Riley used Headbutt!
- Wattson used Super Potion on Voltorb.
- Riley used Mach Punch!
- Riley used Mach Punch! Voltorb fainted.
- Wattson sent out Magneton (Lv 23)!
- Riley used Mach Punch! It's Super Effective!
- Magneton used Thunder Wave! Riley is paralysed!
- Riley used Mach Punch! It's Super Effective! Magneton fainted!
- Jackson won!
----------

- Riley reached Lv 24.
- Obtained Dynamo Badge and TM34 Shock Wave.

Rusturf Tunnel:
- Taught Bullet Seed to Riley.
- Obtained HM04 Strength.
- Taught Strength to Helga.

Current Team:
-------------
Cindy Lv 13 - Zigzagoon (F) - Bold - Pickup - Headbutt / Tackle / Rock Smash / Cut
Riley Lv 24 - Breloom (F) @ Miracleseed - Serious - Effect Spore - Mega Drain / Tackle / Stun Spore / Leech Seed
Helga Lv 22 - Makuhita (F) - Docile - Thick Fat - Vital Throw / Fake Out / Strength / Arm Thrust
Gordon Lv 20 - Wingull (M) - Docile - Keen Eye - Wing Attack / Water Gun / Supersonic / Growl
------------

---------------
Total Deaths: 2
---------------
Thea (Poochyena) - Level 12 - VS Trainer's Whismur - Route 116
Kelly (Taillow) - Level 20 - VS May's Shroomish - Route 110
---------------

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
FINISHED with HeartGold!

Spoiler: