• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor [Classic]

link12552

decade club
Years
Update 1.62

I need help! When i try to open a ROM in NSE they wont show up!
Are you getting any error messages, like "... 'XXXX' can not be found..."
If not, you may not have the .net 3.5 framework installed. See the first post for details

UPDATE!
-Version 1.62
  • Fixed some annoying bugs...
  • In your settings.ini "start palette =" becomes "palette table =" <See readme.
  • Slightly increased speed... 2%
  • Better offset browsing compatibility with other functions

link12552

decade club
Years
NSL uses...

I Love this tool, and i use it all the time! But how do you make a sprite library?

-Using a NSl-
NSL's are meant to be a faster ,cleaner way to backup, tranfer, upload ,or send sprites and their palettes.

Navigate to the sprite you want to export (ie, Index: 0, Index: 34, Index: 151)
In the file menu (top bar) select "export" and "export sprite library" or just press Crtrl-E
Save it somewhere

Navigate to the sprite you want to overwrite (Same examples as above)
When you want to use the NSL goto file (top bar) select "import" and "import sprite library"
Click load and then select your file,
You can save individual frames, the palette, or all frames and the palette.

If your wondering on the NSL format...
NSL files are currently formatted as such:

• Source location or author, followed by a ":" x char(s)
  • Palette in GBA format followed by a "#" 64 + 1 char(s)
  • Image data for each frame in the GBA format but reversed for drawing speed, y char(s)
Final size: x + y + 64 + 1

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
A really good feature to have would be not running of of settings.ini and starting off to the default sprite table. Users could be able to input their own sprite table directly in the program. Maybe palettes would still need a settings.ini, but otherwise...

Years
This is very usefull tool for the hacker. Btw. Can I replace Player Backsprite and battle background sprite with it? Thanks for the tool.

link12552

decade club
Years
Responses

Downoaded it and it looks kust like another OW editor, nothing special about it.
There's allot special about NSE, :shocked:
Some of the most distinguishing features are:

• NSE uses the game's built in sprite table
  • Editing a character's preferences(Size, Image pointers, and Display Data)
  • A palette editor, with access to all sprite palettes
  • Offset browsing (view any uncompressed image, optional palette(Which can then be changed) and gray scale) < Used from editing tiles and animations, to text boxes, back sprites and a ton of other things
  • Import and export bitmaps to an offset or sprite
  • A built in hex editor (Pointers for each sprite embedded)
  • Dynamic pointers, for correct palette usage in game
  • Support for re-pointed sprites, palettes and tables (even JPAN's engine)
  • Embedded offsets and an optional settings.ini
  • Access to every available sprite and several unavailable ones (ex. Dive in firered)
Not to mention NSE can do all the same things as any-other OW editor (in many cases in a better way), and NSE is still being actively worked on...

This is very usefull tool for the hacker. Btw. Can I replace Player Backsprite and battle background sprite with it? Thanks for the tool.
1. Glad to hear you think its useful
2. Player backsprites, yes
3. Battle background sprites, possibly (certain parts can be edited, differences in different rom versions is a factor to consider)

A really good feature to have would be not running of of settings.ini and starting off to the default sprite table. Users could be able to input their own sprite table directly in the program. Maybe palettes would still need a settings.ini, but otherwise...
\

Good to hear new ideas,
Part of the problem of loading from the default sprite table is, What if somebody has completely removed it.

Options to edit the pointers NSE is using ( Sprite Tables, Palette Tables, ect) could, and might be added soon
-Expect to see in 1.7 possibly

I'm really hoping to see an "add frames" function =)
Me too,
but yeah, I'm working on it. :)

TAKUORO

Pyro from WAH ;D
Years
I love this tool, It just keeps getting better and better.
Kept up the good work, i love the dedication you put on this tool

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Good to hear new ideas,
Part of the problem of loading from the default sprite table is, What if somebody has completely removed it.

Options to edit the pointers NSE is using ( Sprite Tables, Palette Tables, ect) could, and might be added soon
-Expect to see in 1.7 possibly
Maybe you could use the table in settings.ini for that, or prompt for table on opening (while still having as choice later), or just saying "Load a table." on the blank sprite, directing people to the option. Any of those could work.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
So this is an OW Editor/unlz.gba/tile molester all in one?
This is so awesome! I use the built in HEX Editor as the HEX editor I use.
Great, wait no, AMAZING tool! Good luck with this.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I just saw this and I'm amazed.
I'll try this one soon.

Good job, though~

Years
Hey Can you help me. I want to change the Backsprite of Red in Pokemon Fire red. I am using your NSE. I only know the first offset of red. Here it is: F69EFC.
Here is the Screenshot from your post:
NSEoffsetbrowsing.png
. Can you give me the other 3 offset of Red?

Back