• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon Origin Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukiyo

Pokemon Origin Crisis Lead
Years
Logo1_zps3875ba09.png

IntroBar1_zps0399f76b.png

Pokemon Origin Crisis is a retooling of my first attempt into the brutal world of fan-game creation, Pokemon Origins (not to be confused with Pokemon Origin in the Games Showcase or a planned MMO of the same name). I did not get very far in my attempt for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which was bad planning. After being on the verge of giving it up for a number of months, my interest was suddenly and quite thoroughly rekindled by a few ideas I hadn't considered before. I plan on approaching this project 100% differently this time around, and it is my hope that the extensive list of what not to dos I've accumulated over time will be nothing short of beneficial to this endeavor.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

StoryBar1_zps29eb652e.png

In ancient times, before the creation trio came into being, there existed a Pokemon legend refers to as the Bringer of Chaos. Commanding control of time, space, and the dimensions, this Pokemon delighted in wreaking havoc among the emerging civilizations sprinkled throughout the world. As a counterbalance to the Bringer's immense power, another Pokemon, the Controller of Fate, was said to hide amongst the shadows gently guiding individuals back toward their intended path.

After many years of struggle between the two thought of as deities, the Controller became overwhelmed. Now unchallenged, the Bringer's previously near-playful interventions turned malevolent. Fearing the impending destruction of its beloved world, the Original One intervened and split the Bringer and its powers into three separate entities: Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina.

Not everyone believes this version of the legend. A group calling themselves the Descendents have made it their goal to prove to the world how very wrong they are.

--------------------------------------

You are a member of the Descendents, a secretive but powerful group feared throughout the general populace of the Hovak region for the heinous experiments they are rumored to conduct on Pokemon. You know that the Bringer is real because you've seen it -- if only briefly. You joined the Descendents specifically because of what you were promised the Bringer could do for you once your leader discovers how to control it. As a member of a group well known for hiding their faces behind masks, you are forced to lead a double life. But, you would do anything if it meant even a shot at having your greatest desire fulfilled.

CharaBar1_zps1af3a50e.png

Logan/Natalia - You are a troubled youth from Taha Island who was raised by your sister after your mother disappeared under mysterious circumstances several years ago. You aren't a bad person, but you are willing to remain blissfully unaware of the full extent of the Descendents doings if it means accomplishing your goal.

Dorian - Your rival and a fellow member of the Descendents. He feels that you have received unfairly favorable treatment within the group considering your recent membership. The fact that he is the leader's son may have something to do with it.

Professor Laurel - A Pokemon professor residing on Taha's neighboring island, Adia. She's considered to be eccentric even amongst other researchers.

The Descendent's Leader
- As secretive as the Descendents are, none can claim to be more enigmatic than their leader. Almost no one in the group is aware of his true identity, but they are very aware of what happens to dissenters...

Kaiya - Your sister and a Pokemon researcher. You haven't seen much of her since she took off to pursue her dream of following in her mother's footsteps, but she does check in every once in a while. She is not, however, aware of your association with the Descendents.

FeatBar1_zps24597d7c.png

All of the features listed below are planned but not tested. While I will do my utmost to incorporate all of them, it probably wouldn't be prudent to set anything in stone this early in development.

Bullet1_zps3eea9883.png
Switch between normal clothing and Descendent attire.
NPCs will react differently toward you depending on what you are wearing, which can be a benefit or a hindrance.
Bullet1_zps3eea9883.png
Knocking
Depending upon whether or not you knock before entering a house, the owner(s) may have different reactions.
Bullet1_zps3eea9883.png
Assignments
As a member of the Descendents, you will periodically be assigned tasks. Some will be optional but have rewards attached, while others are required to progress the story.
Bullet1_zps3eea9883.png
Distortions
Throughout the region, you will encounter dimensional rifts caused by the Bringer. This could be anything from a city that shifts time periods randomly to a daycare center that's capable of producing hybrids of particular Pokemon combinations.
Bullet1_zps3eea9883.png
Bank
Pokedollars stored in a bank cannot be lost in battle and will gain interest over time. As a counterbalance, Pokedollars owed to the Descendents, for failed assignments and the like, are taken directly out of your bank account.
Bullet1_zps3eea9883.png
Pocket PC
Listen to music, access a limited version of your Pokemon boxes, check your account balance, receive messages, and keep an eye on your news feed.

CredBar1_zpsc14293b2.png

Will update as needed.

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years

wow, this is really cool, I love the idea and fully support this - If you need some sort of spriting (not really pokemon though) I'll try to help
as for the clothing thing, can you change anywhere? is it in your bag and you change? is it in a closet? also, do people come up to you in disdain? or if you just ignore talking to people, will it not matter? how will the PC react? do they refuse healing your pokemon? are you refused the ability to buy anything at the Pokemart?
the distortion sounds AWESOME, are you saying that the graphics might change from (lets say) gen 3 to gen 2? or gen 2 to gen 4?

Tsukiyo

Years
wow, this is really cool, I love the idea and fully support this - If you need some sort of spriting (not really pokemon though) I'll try to help
as for the clothing thing, can you change anywhere? is it in your bag and you change? is it in a closet? also, do people come up to you in disdain? or if you just ignore talking to people, will it not matter? how will the PC react? do they refuse healing your pokemon? are you refused the ability to buy anything at the Pokemart?
the distortion sounds AWESOME, are you saying that the graphics might change from (lets say) gen 3 to gen 2? or gen 2 to gen 4?
Glad you like it!
Have you got any sprite examples?

I've been tossing around ideas for the clothing switch feature. I figured it wouldn't make sense to be able to do it in front of anyone, but along the same grain, now that you mention it, you probably shouldn't be able to do it in the middle of the street, either. There'll probably be some sort of designated area.

As I envision it now, there will be police officers who'll approach you if you're in Descendent clothing. Since I'm already wanting to include a knocking feature, it shouldn't be too much to tie an automatic reaction dependent on what you're wearing into that. There will also be situations where you'll have to use the clothes changing strategically, such as during missions or events. Otherwise, for random NPCs around town, only their dialogue will change. Perhaps there's more I can incorporate into that, like scaring shopkeepers into giving you discounts, etc. There's a lot that can potentially be done with this.

As for the graphic change, I actually hadn't considered that. That's a really nifty idea, though it might be a bit jarring to wander into a town with vastly different graphics. :P
It's something to consider, definitely. I appreciate the idea (and would, of course, credit you if I used it). In my mind, I imagined graphics from a single generation, but altering the tiles and whatnot to be more futuristic or archaic, etc.

Last edited:

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
The quest based nature of it, from the banking note, sounds pretty solid along with the dimensional crisis angle. What generations are you including?

Also, "Hovak."

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Glad you like it!
Have you got any sprite examples?

I've been tossing around ideas for the clothing switch feature. I figured it wouldn't make sense to be able to do it in front of anyone, but along the same grain, now that you mention it, you probably shouldn't be able to do it in the middle of the street, either. There'll probably be some sort of designated area.

As I envision it now, there will be police officers who'll approach you if you're in Descendent clothing. Since I'm already wanting to include a knocking feature, it shouldn't be too much to tie an automatic reaction dependent on what you're wearing into that. There will also be situations where you'll have to use the clothes changing strategically, such as during missions or events. Otherwise, for random NPCs around town, only their dialogue will change. Perhaps there's more I can incorporate into that, like scaring shopkeepers into giving you discounts, etc. There's a lot that can potentially be done with this.

As for the graphic change, I actually hadn't considered that. That's a really nifty idea, though it might be a bit jarring to wander into a town with vastly different graphics. :P
It's something to consider, definitely. I appreciate the idea (and would, of course, credit you if I used it). In my mind, I imagined graphics from a single generation, but altering the tiles and whatnot to be more futuristic or archaic, etc.

hm, after I finish remaking the first post of my thread you can see examples there, other than that, I dont really post much of my work, :P
as for the clothing thing, I have it so you change clothes in your closet at home, maybe you could create a base system like in Ruby and Sapphire, where you make secret bases and stuff, and inside you have a closet so you can change - however maybe you could wear a mask or something to hide your face, since it would seem weird no one would recognize you simply because you changed clothes
and I always wanted to add the whole "generation graphic change" it seemed like such a really cool idea, but I never really found a believable way to add it like you have - all I have is time travel but dimensional rifts sound awesome ^^

Tsukiyo

Years
The quest based nature of it, from the banking note, sounds pretty solid along with the dimensional crisis angle. What generations are you including?

Also, "Hovak."
Thank you. :)
I'm honestly pretty excited to see how it plays out in-game myself.

I'll probably include a few Pokemon from each generation, including VI since it will undoubtedly have been released by the time this game is completed.

I intend to have some original Pokemon as well, though. The legendaries and starters are particularly important.

When you mentioned the region name, was that a good thing or a bad thing?
xDD;

hm, after I finish remaking the first post of my thread you can see examples there, other than that, I dont really post much of my work, :P
as for the clothing thing, I have it so you change clothes in your closet at home, maybe you could create a base system like in Ruby and Sapphire, where you make secret bases and stuff, and inside you have a closet so you can change - however maybe you could wear a mask or something to hide your face, since it would seem weird no one would recognize you simply because you changed clothes
and I always wanted to add the whole "generation graphic change" it seemed like such a really cool idea, but I never really found a believable way to add it like you have - all I have is time travel but dimensional rifts sound awesome ^^
I would be very interested in seeing them once they become available. I'm assuming the thread you're referring to is the one linked in your signature?

The base system isn't a bad idea, though I'm not sure I want to reuse something that's already been done and is unique to a specific game. It's definitely something to consider, though. Maybe update the system a bit.

I sort of alluded to this fact in my first post, but I just realized I didn't state it outright. The Descendents actually DO where masks. That's where the player character's double life comes in.

I'm suddenly reminded of Superman, who apparently is surrounded by people who require a specific outfit to be able to tell individuals apart.

Last edited:

Thergox

Average Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2014
Some of the new features brought some interesting gimmicks that would switch up the story line in my head. One of them (Though rather minor) was that you could only see distortions in Descendant attire -- if the Bringer made them and many people don't believe in the Bringer, then maybe it would only make sense that they couldn't see it.

Then again, I'm not quite sure how far you are in the story. It still remains a very intriguing project, though!

Tsukiyo

Years
Some of the new features brought some interesting gimmicks that would switch up the story line in my head. One of them (Though rather minor) was that you could only see distortions in Descendant attire -- if the Bringer made them and many people don't believe in the Bringer, then maybe it would only make sense that they couldn't see it.

Then again, I'm not quite sure how far you are in the story. It still remains a very intriguing project, though!
That is an interesting idea, but I do not believe that it would fit into my vision of the story. The clothing holds no particular properties that would render the distortions visible or invisible, and the Bringer's powers are such that they aren't hidden to anyone. Most do not believe the legend either because they believe the other creation myth -- that is, the one described in the official games --, don't believe in either one, or because it's simply so old that they've never heard of it. In whichever case, most would not automatically associate the strange occurrences with the Bringer.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 9, 2013
This was a very spur of the moment decision, but I hope you are still interested in this project!
I have recently started to study concept art, and I would be very much interested to give any skills that I can offer?
If you need a concept artist, I would like to apply :3

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Your spur of the moment was about a week too late. This thread has been inactive for over 2 months, so you shouldn't have revived it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back