• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People from 30 states threaten secession from the United States

Years
As of Saturday November 10, 2012, citizens from 15 States have petitioned the Obama Administration for withdrawal from the United States of America in order to create its own government.

States following this action include: Louisiana, Texas, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, Colorado, Oregon and New York. These States have requested that the Obama Administration grant a peaceful withdrawal from the United States.

These citizen generated petitions were filed just days after the 2012 presidential election.

Louisiana was the first State to file a petition a day after the election by a Michael E. from Slidell, Louisiana. Texas was the next State to follow by a Micah H. from Arlington, Texas.

The government allows one month from the day the petition is submitted to obtain 25,000 signatures in order for the Obama administration to consider the request.

The Texas petition reads as follows:

The US continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

As of 12:46 am, Sunday, signatures obtained by Louisiana, 7,358; Texas, 3,771; Florida, 636; Georgia, 475; Alabama, 834; North Carolina, 792; Kentucky, 467; Mississippi, 475; Indiana, 449; North Dakota, 162; Montana, 440; Colorado, 324; Oregon, 328; New Jersey, 301 and New York, 169. Many more States are expected to follow.

A petition is not searchable at whitehouse.gov until 150 signatures have been obtained. It is the originator's responsibility to obtain these signatures.

The Texas petition can be reviewed and/or signed by clicking here.

Source

lol

Discuss the most recent attempt by the states to secede from the union!

Last edited:

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
I live in Kentucky and honestly this is the first time I've heard of this. I don't really understand why 15 states would think this a good idea. Secession was the reason the Civil War took place for crying out loud.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm in New York and never heard of it and my grandparent in Florida would have told me if it was happening their probably just a bunch of sore losing crazy republicans

If you read the article, these are petitions started by individual people on We The People, the White House petition website, not something official from the states.

Anyway, this is just all very silly. If they cared that much, they would figure out how the process worked and start a grassroots movement to secede in the way a state is supposed to. Not that...New York? Really? Is there one for every state now?

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
The insanity continues...

I mean, come on, if you don't like what the government is doing, then get out of the country! This is what started the American Civil War in the first place. You'd think they'd learn from that war? If these people did that, probably not.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Secession isn't a bad thing to talk about. Secession is very American. America itself came about because 13 colonies seceded from the British, and look at all the form Soviet nations that we encouraged to secede. Did we tell them that seceding is treasonous?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I am embarrassed to live in the state of Alabama. That is all I have to say on the matter.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
If its a tl;dr for you, this is pretty much some butthurt republicans.

Anyway, sure. Secede. I'm sure that the Confederacy will welcome you with open arms. What, the Confederacy is dead? How? Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The US kicked their asses because they succeeded.

Empty threats from butthurt states. Even if they got the signatures needed, they wouldn't go through with it.

Years
Secession isn't a bad thing to talk about. Secession is very American. America itself came about because 13 colonies seceded from the British, and look at all the form Soviet nations that we encouraged to secede. Did we tell them that seceding is treasonous?

Treason and being a traitor isn't in the least 'American'. If you honestly believe that then you need help in some way. I'm embarrassed for you.

Crux

Evermore
Years
Why are you all trying to compare this to the civil war?
The civil war was about a lot more then secession.
If I thought this was going to do anything then i'd sign it myself,the "U.S" has gotten worse and worse,and it doesn't show any signs of getting better.
Obama himself stated that "the constitution is outdated" but even still you people voted for him.Why?..oh...yeah..how could I forget...he got you a phone.
Furthermore,how can you not see how bad the TSA has gotten? they don't do background checks you've got rapists,pedophiles,and people with a god complex "keeping ya safe" by groping you,your women and your children,how can you stand for that?
I mean,come on people,there's a man in Dc that's lying through his teeth straight to your face,and you're accepting it. Whatever happened to that sense of freedom? That Never Say Die spirit that made this country great? Because we seem to have lost it,and we're falling apart now,forgetting who we were.

As for those who are complaining about the petion have been started:
"If you make peaceful revolution impossible you make violent revolution inevitable" - John F. Kennedy

Wake up America,your country needs you.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Why are you all trying to compare this to the civil war?
The civil war was about a lot more then secession.
If I thought this was going to do anything then i'd sign it myself,the "U.S" has gotten worse and worse,and it doesn't show any signs of getting better.
Obama himself stated that "the constitution is outdated" but even still you people voted for him.Why?..oh...yeah..how could I forget...he got you a phone.
Furthermore,how can you not see how bad the TSA has gotten? they don't do background checks you've got rapists,pedophiles,and people with a god complex "keeping ya safe" by groping you,your women and your children,how can you stand for that?
I mean,come on people,there's a man in Dc that's lying through his teeth straight to your face,and you're accepting it. Whatever happened to that sense of freedom? That Never Say Die spirit that made this country great? Because we seem to have lost it,and we're falling apart now,forgetting who we were.

As for those who are complaining about the petion have been started:
"If you make peaceful revolution impossible you make violent revolution inevitable" - John F. Kennedy

Wake up America,your country needs you.

"Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right. It may be said, that the succeeding generation exercising, in fact, the power of repeal, this leaves them as free as if the constitution or law had been expressly limited to nineteen years only. In the first place, this objection admits the right, in proposing an equivalent. But the power of repeal is not an equivalent. It might be, indeed, if every form of government were so perfectly contrived, that the will of the majority could always be obtained, fairly and without impediment. But this is true of no form. The people cannot assemble themselves; their representation is unequal and vicious. Various checks are opposed to every legislative proposition. Factions get possession of the public councils, bribery corrupts them, personal interests lead them astray from the general interests of their constituents; and other impediments arise, so as to prove to every practical man, that a law of limited duration is much more manageable than one which needs a repeal." -Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution is not infallible by virtue of being the Constitution. In addition, you're doing yourself a massive disservice by dismissing all Obama supporters as voting for him because "he got you a phone". When you give yourself over to partisan politics so completely, you're lost to intelligent debate. Instead, you start speaking rhetoric like you fell into multiple times in that post, instead of thoughtful criticism.

Although I am curious about your TSA comment. Is that relevant? Did I miss something related to that?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Treason and being a traitor isn't in the least 'American'. If you honestly believe that then you need help in some way. I'm embarrassed for you.

If secession is treasonous, then the United States of America is a nation that was founded on treason.

Crux

Evermore
Years
I'm in truth not a very political person.
You must forgive me if I had sounded a bit all over the place,but I had given up on America for fact of the blindness of the mass public,learning that not everyone in this country is a sheep did wonders for reviving that dead faith despite leaving me mayhap a bit emotional.

I never said the constitution was infallible,that you've read into yourself.
However,did you know that Obama has shoved a bill through that allows the government to come to your house,search it,throw you in jail,and leave you to rot?
You're left with less rights than a prisoner of war.
No? Did you hear that parts of Florida voted Obama in a 158% turn out? Really?
I would much sooner opt for the original constitution then what he is turning this country into.

"The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA,the TSA, etc."
I noticed that others had conveniently avoided it so I made a comment,apparently i'm the only one who is worried about it.

Khawill

<3
Years
Freaky, it was founded on treason -.- it doesn't mean it was right. Also there had to be a war to sepparate, do you really want another war inside America? (I did see an article that America would be able self sustain with their oil, so maybe that would be the "actual" reason.)

As for the TSA comment, when was the last time you were on a plane Rococo? The TSA is stricter but they are definitely not rapists (though they may be profiling more). Also I think you are too one sided with you political views if you think people voted for Obama for a phone.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm in truth not a very political person.
You must forgive me if I had sounded a bit all over the place,but I had given up on America for fact of the blindness of the mass public,learning that not everyone in this country is a sheep did wonders for reviving that dead faith despite leaving me mayhap a bit emotional.

If you're not a political person, then how can you have an educated opinion on a political issue?

I never said the constitution was infallible,that you've read into yourself.

You said "Obama himself stated that "the constitution is outdated" but even still you people voted for him.Why?..oh...yeah..how could I forget...he got you a phone", implying that he is in the wrong for saying that and the only reason people voted for him is that they didn't know he said that, or are greedy moochers.

However,did you know that Obama has shoved a bill through that allows the government to come to your house,search it,throw you in jail,and leave you to rot?
You're left with less rights than a prisoner of war.
No? Did you hear that parts of Florida voted Obama in a 158% turn out? Really?
I would much sooner opt for the original constitution then what he is turning this country into.

[citation needed]

"The citizens of the US suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA,the TSA, etc."
I noticed that others had conveniently avoided it so I made a comment,apparently i'm the only one who is worried about it.

Ah, I see where you got that now, my apologies. Considering nearly every single "state" petition copied and pasted the same message I glossed over it, it seriously loses its message if the person who made it doesn't even care enough to write their own message lol.

On the topic of the TSA, this is also [citation needed]. I don't understand why people love to make claims without backing them up. I tried to source this myself and all I can find is something saying they had a backlog in April (here). Nothing says anywhere that they don't do security checks. I would really like to not die in an airplane, thanks.

Fuyuki~

Banned
Years
Is this... Is this serious? I'm not really into politics so I can't really comment, but this all just seems really ****ing stupid. I doubt anything's going to come out of it but I want to see where this goes.

Then again I shouldn't be commenting on this because I don't know **** either, lol...

Back