• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Player owned Gyms

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
1357644894362_zpsd6a9af15.png

Apparently this is a new feature in the game (apparently, not definitely). What do you guys think? How could they utilise this feature/make best use of it?

Discuss.

Last edited:
Years
Only way I could see this working, if it was like a mini game, like the battle centres or something like that. A number of people would come in and you could try to set records and become undefeated.

Or, there is a players gym, where anyone can become the gym leader, but you have to defeat the current leader to gain his spot; like winner stays on.

Would be cool, but doubt it would be implemented.​

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Holy goodness, where did you got this?
Whose gonna challenge us? So this mean we gonna have more type of online play?
It would be good if we can set certain rules to fight in our gym.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
The walls and floor come away iirc, I don't really see how Player Owned Gyms would work either.
It could involve random trainers coming to you rather than the other way around. Though I don't think that's what this is, definitely looks like just that gym's unique puzzle.

Years
Where did you here this?

I'd like to see it happen as a post-game option where NPC's can challenge you and you could take it online also assuming this is true. But I doubt it will happen.

junior403

The Show Must Go On...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 17, 2014
It just hit me! What if this is some kind of extra challenge, done via Streetpass? Each trainer sets up a whole gym, so that they could exchange that info whenever they are nearby! It would be boss to face a customized gym leader, or even get a badge from a friend.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
I think that it is a cool feature. Maybe you will be able to create a town, and then players via wifi will be able to visit your town and battle you as gym leader. After they beat you, they can have a badge that you are allowed to create which will be added to their player card for all of your friends to see.

Or it could be a puzzle. :p

Kaisersaur

Veteran
Years
I think it could work almost like the Join Avenue, where you can battle random trainers, gym leaders or even people you've traded or battled with before. Earning points to raise your gym status and decoration or whatever. They could grab the idea of the join avenue shops as to be part of your gym grounds or city territory, where you would have your breeder, trainer, shop clerk, stylist or whatever can make easier for you to train your pokemon.

Customization is always something we've been looking for in a pokemon game

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Hm... player owned gyms, sounds interesting but I don't think it would happen. Though at that point in the trailer it really did sound like the gym was really amazing.

But if player owned gyms really did get implemented into the game, I'd really like to see some random people from all over the world battle you for your custom gym badge, which would be something to do with connecting to people all over the world. It would be interesting though.

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2013
Didn't the player own the only gym in Gale of Darkness? I was thinking it would probably be something like that, but what you guys are speculating sounds pretty awesome.

Years
I can't see this being much more interesting than the battle subway or something if this was a thing. Actually, I'd see it as being LESS interesting, since with the battle subway you were working your way towards the leaders, but in this case you ARE the leader. I could only seeing this being fun if you could design your own gym, (which it appears to be if this IS the create your own gym) but even that would wear off pretty quickly I think. Hm, maybe if you could have wifi players challenge you!? (but then it'd just be like a normal battle with you at the disadvantage since you have a monotype). :/

Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
This would be a nice feature, sadly that pic (from the direct video) comes after the fact that the picture is after that room with the stary sky and weird lighting looks like the psychic gym.

Whistler

Questioner
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2014
Maybe the new plot is that you are a hobo who tries living inside different gyms in secret. When the gym leaders find out, you have to make your Pokemon beat up theirs. Eventually you sell enough Pokemon on the Black and White market that you get to buy your own gym! Then all of the previous gym leaders become homeless, and join team Rocket. And that was how Team Rocket was made. :3

OrangeNess

Layton Lover
Years
It would be a cool street pass feature, and I would defenentially take part in that as well as possible. I hope that this is correct! (And for the gym puzzle believers, you may be right. I've just got my hopes up!)

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Maybe the new plot is that you are a hobo who tries living inside different gyms in secret. When the gym leaders find out, you have to make your Pokemon beat up theirs. Eventually you sell enough Pokemon on the Black and White market that you get to buy your own gym! Then all of the previous gym leaders become homeless, and join team Rocket. And that was how Team Rocket was made. :3

nice! i totally suport this XD.
and let's create a light type while we're at it so that when you finish the game said gym leaders don't simply join TR but also fall to the dark side of the pokeforce!
also i think darth vader should be the new champion so you get to have an epic battle using your brand new, shiny light saber... hmm, sorry i mean light type to defeat him.
oh and right before you fight him he could say something like: X, i'm your father... come to the Y side of the pokeforce!
not only would it give us a reason to have a light type, it also would give us a father for the 2nd time in 6 gens!

oh my, can't wait for it!

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Nah, player-led gyms make no sense at all. Let's say you own your own gym and you get challenged by an NPC. If you win, you get a little money like any other NPC battle. If you lose, you give this NPC a badge and...they disappear because they're just an NPC. It was a fruitless loss.

Let's add in Streetpass and say you challenge someone's gym. You lose, it's like any other loss. You win, you get...a badge? What kind of badge? Is this badge personalized to tailor to that specific person's gym? That results in an infinite number of badges. Do all Streetpass gyms give the same badge? That means you only need to battle one.

There's no suitable reward system if you win and no special outcome if you lose.

PoisonEmeralds

Rookie ROM Hacker
Years
1357644894362_zpsd6a9af15.png

Apparently this is a new feature in the game (apparently, not definitely). What do you guys think? How could they utilise this feature/make best use of it?

Discuss.
Probably after the elite four they could make it so an extra gym is built for the protagonist? I dunno I feel stealing a gym from a gym leader is kind of mean.....

Back