• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Are Shiny Pokemon becoming easier to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Even with the Shining Charm they are still rare. The odds dont go up very much. Its nice to see them go up for Masuda Method. I have only found a few wild shinies Like 4 probably no matter what method you use it isnt easy, which is the point.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Shinies.

Personally, I don't care about the shinies. If I could, I would hack the game just to change the pallets of them. One of my fav Pokemon, mudkip, I would love to have as a shiny :D...except the colouring is absolutely horrible...

Some are ok, like Petilil, but personally, I'm not gonna intentionally catch shinies just for trading and stuff. I like the normal pallets generally and shinies are overrated in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Speaking as someone who never caught a shiny in his life (except a Hoot-Hoot in Crystal years ago), I love this. I really am glad that they are taking notice of people wanting shinys.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
a question is my starter supposto be shiny with the hidden move? and i the odds higher i never gotten a shiny starter before it weird.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I like how they're introducing new methods for getting shiny Pokemon, because I think now they're realizing that people can just RNG abuse for them whenever they want so really shinies aren't that huge of a deal anymore. There's also people like me who only have none or a few shinies (a Poochyena in Emerald a few years ago, a Shellder in Silver that I couldn't catch ;_;) I think this is awesome, getting them isn't ridiculously easy but it isn't extremely rare or hard.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Hardly. Giving a few gifts here and there don't make it any easier.

1. The Masuda Method may lower the odds significantly, but it takes time to collect and hatch all those eggs. It took me almost four months to hatch my Shiny Snivy.
2. The Shiny Charm does make it easier, however getting the shiny charm is very difficult. Completing the National Dex? Not hanks, that's almost 700 Pokemon.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I kinda think getting shinnies has gotten too easy with all of this. After learning to RNG, shiny Pokémon became very easy to obtain, but random ones still remained important to me. Completing the National Dex isn't that big of a challenge to me (especially considering I completed my White's National Dex in the first 2 weeks because I played it non-stop) so the shiny charm will take some of the specialness out of the random ones I find.

It's funny how I found a random shiny Poliwhirl in my Black this morning :P

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
Well I won't really object to the idea that shiny Pokemon becoming easier to find. After all, during my whole entire years of gameplay, the only random shinies I found were at my 3rd gen games. The rest I got through RNG abuse. MM and SR just doesn't love me. :/

Basically, if this means that I can have a higher chance to get another random shiny, then I'm willing to risk all that playtime just to get my hands on that Shining Charm. Plus, I've always wanted to complete the National Dex, so why not? :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 19, 2013
It took me 50+ hours to hatch a shiny Vulpix using a foreign ditto. Although I did hatch a shiny hoothoot after about a few hundred eggs and a shiny female frillish on accident so I would not mind shinies becoming a little easier to obtain as long as there is still effort put into it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 19, 2015
I just hope that by the time I get my Shiny charm, I've figured out how to properly use the Masuda Method. I really want a new Shiny Seel. Haven't had one since my first Crystal file, and I really want one again. Sure, they aren't really different, but it's a matter of nostalgia.

I had thought that the Charm made it HARDER to use the Masuda Method, but apparently I read the data wrong over on Serebii.

Years
I don't really know where I stand on this.

At first I was unhappy, since it makes the shinies that people hunt for further cheaper - but I guess if you got them without the means that make them cheap it should be ok for one's self.

However, I guess at the same time it's nice to finally have a reward for a full national dex.

Either way, it'll make it yet easier to hunt and easier for those who just want a shiny. I guess it's nice they're think about what the majority want!

Dinosaurs Eat at White Castle

I like superheroes.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 11, 2012
I feel like on a whole it's gotten harder to get shinies, compared to Gen. 4. With the charms I guess it's more likely, but they'll prove to be a challenge to actually acquire. :P

With the freebies, I don't even really count those as legit shinies, since they are 100%. I remember killing the red Gyarados plenty of times haha.

In D/P/Pt, the pokeradar made it relatively easy, at least for me, to get quite a few shinies.

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2012
For me, Shinys are near impossible to catch! The only one I've ever caught is the Shiny Gyarados in Soul Silver!

Pinta77

It seems like the newer the game, the easier shinies are to get. I found one in crystal. I never found any in the gba series. I found A LOT in diamond, and me and my brother each found a shiny around the beggening of soul silver. But then none in black and white :/ and i havent played black2 or white2. So i dunno, i think as far as numbers go, its easier. They need to do something about action replays though >.<

simons545

Aspiring Master
Years
Hmm have caught a few shiney pokemon throughout the gens, but unsurprisingly they were nearly all rubbish have come across one or two in each game.
Found a shiny goldeen in cerulean city while fishing randomly...ran out of poké balls...
crystal:found a shiny quilfish :'( another poké i hate using
Ruby:My first usable shiny! trapinch whooooooooooooooooo. Now on my platinum game card neutral natured.
Sapphire: Magnemite in mauville (now magnezone on platinum)
emerald:none
Diamond:none
Pearl:bronzong
Platinum: chansey on route 12!
Black:none
White: none
Black 2:(Currently playing through)Audino in castelia gardens! shaking grass grinding
ps for those of you like me oblivious to the fact that you can catch a riolu. You can get on lv5,7 in sangi ranch 5% catch rate though. Its worth it ;)

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
600 hours of Diamond

500 Hours of Pearl

300 Hours of Black

After One Thousand Four Hundred Hours total I have 3 legit shinys.

Why are they even part of the fu--ing game if you see ONE every THOUSAND HOURS?

I'm not angry, I'm just saying that making Shiny pokemon more accessible motivates players to obtain them. Good game design, by definition, is design that motivates you to play them game.

Pokemon has always been a game for children. Do they know how to RNG Abuse to get shinys? Hell, They could play for a thousand hours and NEVER even know they EXIST.

Recognize good game design when you see it. The game's target audience is still 10 years old. You can see that in every facet of design.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
The only shiny pokemon I have caught (besides red gyarados in silver) was a burmy in pearl, and kyogre in emerald. (talk about luck)

But with all of these new methods, I'd say its going to be easier to catch shinies. (I only played through black once, so Idk if it actually is)

blue

gucci
Years
Well so they should, it should be hard but not excruciating and time consumingly hard because IIRC there's a 1 in 8736 chance or something like that and I myself after playing for 13 years have only found one legitimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back