• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Cutscenes

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Since Generation 3, the games have introduced cutscenes as a way to tell the story in a more visual way, instead of just having a text box popping up to tell you what is happening. As the years and technology has advanced, the form of the cutscenes has moved from a pixel art bases (Like the Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza cutscene in Emerald) to a full 3D rendering of the scene (Like the fusion of Kyurem and whichever mascot in Black 2 and White 2). With the moving of games to a new hardware (both the console and the game itself), what do you think will happen to cutscenes now? Will they be more frequent with the new advances with the 3DS? How about higher quality cutscenes?

I'm personally hoping with the move over to the 3DS, that the new hardware and space on each game will allow for some more cutscenes. I think they were very well exectued in Black 2/White 2, and I'd love to see some more fully fledged 3D cutscenes emerge throughout the story line. Although I wouldn't like to see a cutscene for every little event, I'd love to see them more disperse throughout the story, showing the major victories/escapes/what-have-you of the evil team.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
PC and browser are dumb:

tl;dr Version of Post
BW took a step in the right direction, hopefully 3D capabilities work out for XY and they can finally make a story worth getting invested in. It's the biggest weakness of the Pokemon franchise by far.

Student D1

De-Wott?
Years
I'd like to see some eye-popping cutscenes for X and Y. I was amazed with the cutscenes shown in B/W and B2/W2 and I'm hoping they do the same as well. I'm guessing it'll look a little less pixelated than the previous ones, considering they'll be using 3D models. I'm also in favor for higher quality and smoother animation, as if there isn't any lagging seen.

It is best to show the cutscenes in some major events of the game, like the appearance of the version mascot or the victory against the champion, where then you'll be seen going to the Hall of Fame. It's just my thoughts.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Cutscenes, ya I want them. I honestly hope there's a lot of dark cutscenes and there looks to be really awesome ones from what we saw of Yveltal, at least. I'd like to see them a lot. As often as they can without intruding on the story being believable :x

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
They'll be nice, perhaps we can have a cutscene in which the trainer looks up at the legends than the camera switches to first person view. It'll be nice if the player and surrounding characters were in them unlike the ones in EPtHgSsBWB2W2

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
idk about random NPCs around them, unless they're important NPCs, because I'd rather legendary cutscenes seem more important and having random NPCs just takes away the important factor to me.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I definitely wouldn't want cutscenes if you're just talking to a regular NPC. At that point it would just move from a cool concept to being overkill. If it were just story moments that were important (instead of just the usual revealing of the game's mascot) then I'd be completely content with it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I briefly mentioned this in another thread, but I'd actually like it if there was a short cutscene whenever you used Fly. This has been somewhat of a fascination of mine ever since seeing the cutscene of Rayquaza flying toward Sootopolis City in Emerald. The only hesitation I can see, however, is that it would take up unnecessary time. Still, I like it for the added scenery we don't normally get to see. Which is why I hope that we get an awesome cutscene taking place in the sky for Yveltal.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
I briefly mentioned this in another thread, but I'd actually like it if there was a short cutscene whenever you used Fly. This has been somewhat of a fascination of mine ever since seeing the cutscene of Rayquaza flying toward Sootopolis City in Emerald. The only hesitation I can see, however, is that it would take up unnecessary time. Still, I like it for the added scenery we don't normally get to see. Which is why I hope that we get an awesome cutscene taking place in the sky for Yveltal.

I'm sure they could introduce a 'B' to skip function. I'd quite like that too.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Cutscenes are almost are must in modern games for storytelling...

Although some people do prefer the old textbox approach.

Honestly a mix of the two would be best I feel.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
since this is the 3ds were talking about, there will be more actions in the game that deal with the spectacular 3d effects. I played the PMD: Gates to Infinity and one thing they added that impressed me was the addition of expressions and more actions in game. The final battle with kyurem also gave alot of effects including a close up of kyurem when he executes Glaciate so that really impressed me.

tnfsf11

The games could really use some cutscenes, like battle animations (ember, vine whip...etc).
The only cutscene I would NOT like is the intro to a battle, random encounters are irritating enough & elongating their time & sequence would be hideous.

Years
  • Seen May 12, 2013
The games could really use some cutscenes, like battle animations (ember, vine whip...etc).
The only cutscene I would NOT like is the intro to a battle, random encounters are irritating enough & elongating their time & sequence would be hideous.
The trailer shows otherwise...

Years
  • Seen May 2, 2013
I like cutsscenes, but i just hope that they dont overuse them to the point where they become annoying and tedious.

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
Years
Cutscenes make the game flow, I definatly want to see some. Although I want the cutscenes to be more story based or action-packed.

But the one thing I want in the cut scenes is the character doesn't become self aware and starts to speak. I like the fact that the character doesn't speak thus your character can say whatever he wants. The character speaking might break that.

Another thing I would like (hope) in cutscenes is that the cutscenes are 1st person. Thus putting you right into the story or using the gyro on the 3ds to look around as the cutscene goes on.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Definitely agree with the character not becoming self-aware. That's one thing that I've liked about the Pokémon games: although you have an avatar that's predetermined, everything is made up from your choices (to a certain degree). Taking that away in cutscenes would be disappointing. I also like the first-person idea with the use of the gyroscope, it'd definitely make for a very interactive experience for something that's usually pretty much not.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Battle Intro Art!!!

tumblr_mmsfo93opc1r6xrqvo1_500.png

Look at this!!
Look at this!!
Instead of/and including (could someone confirm??) the famous flashing before a battle begins, there will be intro art as well!!!

This could make for some really awesome cutscenes!!! Thoughts?

Guy

just a guy
Years
I like that they're doing it for the Pokémon too. Although, I could see some people complaining that it would get tiresome after awhile.

may_p6_7.jpg
may_p6_1.jpg

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Loving it so much. Seriously, this is just amazing, plus it sort of makes sense. With the new graphics capabilities it makes sense to do something like this instead of just having the sprite come across the screen to say it. I'm expecting it to have the challenger back up to release her Pokémon, and then the battle would begin.

Back