• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
Alright, so everyone knows there are plenty of starter combinations instead of Water/Fire/Grass. Such as Psychic/Dark/Fighting, or Bug/Rock/Grass.

But not many people do sets of 5. What combinations of types can you think of that utilize 5 Pokémon instead of 3, where each Pokémon has a weakness to 2 others and a strength against 2 others. Similar to:
"Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and—as it always has—rock crushes scissors" —Sheldon, The Big Bang Theory

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
I've been sitting here for about 15 minutes trying to find one where there's super effective coverage over two types, let alone resistance. So kudos to anyone who can do this. ;P

Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
I've looked through pretty much every combination possible, and I'm pretty sure that there is no "clean" sets of five. That is: there is no set where every type does normal damage against all the types in the set other than the ones it's weak or resistant to. There's always one type that can hurt two types in the set, or one that's immune to one further down the set etc.

Pokemon is an awesomely complex game. It's no surprise that there's no sets of five. I found a few sets of four though!

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
I got close to 5, with Water/Fire/Grass/Ground/Electric, but it doesn't work out all the way.

EDIT: OH MY GOD I DID IT.

Ground\Fire\Grass\Rock\Ice

Ground beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, Grass beats Rock, Rock beats Ice, Ice beats Ground, Ground beats Rock, Rock beats Fire, Fire beats Ice, Ice beats Grass, and Grass beats Ground.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2013
It works, but not really if you think about it. What I was saying is that in Rock paper scissors lizard spock, throwing rock and lizard would result in a tie, so nothing in the chain can beat any of the ones that AREN'T its designated "win." In Ground\Fire\Grass\Rock\Ice there's several of those. Grass beats ground AND rock, rock beats fire AND ice, Ice beats grass AND rock.. actually, every single one of those beats two things in the chain... so I guess it's still even.

(But did you check resistances?)

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
I didn't really care about the resistances. All each type really needs to do is beat two types and be beaten by the other two types.

Also, rock crushes lizard.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2015
I did a three one:

Flying/Grass/Rock

I like this one too, it's a set of four:

Poison/Grass/Water/Ground

Starters for These:

Taillow/Shroomish/Geodude

Grimer/Shroomish/Buizel/Diglett

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
Well, in your set of four, Grass beats both Water and Ground, giving it an unfair advantage over the other three. In a set of four, each type would have to have an equal number of advantages and disadvantages.

Also, this thread is for sets of five.

Rou.Tsuki

It's happy hour somewhere...
Years
It exponentially more difficult to do the more elements you add in. That is why this game (rock/paper/scissor) is limited to three. Now to do this in terms of Pokemon elements/types and up the ante to five... I must applude you WinterKirby for finding something feasible. Now to match up the right pokemon for the game...

I double-dog-dare-you to find a combination of seven and/or nine!

Back