• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White Feedback / Discussion Thread

Do we drop weekly polls or not?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm finding it hard to post in B/W recently because all the threads are just remakes of previous successful threads that I posted in a while ago. I'd rather the old threads to be reopened rather than have new made tbh, but I know that isn't how things run in life.

I feel the same unfortunately. I know we considered bringing back the older threads and it kinda didn't go ahead but right now I really think it'd be of great use. Buuut then again other Pokemon Gaming sections don't have this, so idk. ;(

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I would prefer to bring it back, but I guess it's because opinions change and people can post new thoughts.

It's your section, Requility. Run it your way. ;)

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay guys, tomorrow is B/W's two year anniversary, so as a result I'm going to be making a special thread (very soon so nobody steals it) but I want you guys to make as many threads as possible tomorrow (that are discussion worthy and not lock-worthy) to celebrate the games' initial Japanese release! This is the first step in what'll hopefully get us through B2W2's release, where activity will be drained from here even more so. TOMORROW MAKE AS MANY GREAT DISCUSSION THREADS AS YOU CAN! That aren't already active threads, ofc. n____n

After that I was just thinking about bringing back the old discussions as "discussions of the week". We can have a special prefix which could allow them to be revived whenever, like the weekly polls, and for a week they get to be sticky and hopefully get discussion that can continue and give us something to go from to get through the release. I know Kaori was fine with this in the past so I'll just talk to her again and get her approval but one catch, this'll have to start about a month after B2W2's release otherwise there'd be no point and we'd get no activity, but around a month after we'll still have the new PC regulars it'll have brought in. :3

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
*considers the thread "Will you stop playing B/W when B2/W2 comes out?"* :D

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
*considers the thread "Will you stop playing B/W when B2/W2 comes out?"* :D

Cyclone

Feel free to make that - we don't have anything covering that right now and it's quite relevant. Also, I want to add since this is a general feedback thread, feel free to fly any thread ideas or general ideas here by me. :)

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Haha, and to think I was joking. But hey, maybe I will make it now. ;)

Cyclone

Years
I think we should have another debate, as the one we had a while ago was fun, but it kind of died off. Whether you, Forever, want to make it or not: that's up to you, but I'm willing to (try to) come up with a good debate if you don't want to! :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think we should have another debate, as the one we had a while ago was fun, but it kind of died off. Whether you, Forever, want to make it or not: that's up to you, but I'm willing to (try to) come up with a good debate if you don't want to! :D

If you can come up with something good - feel free to. n_n In general I kind of don't have many other ideas other than what I made recently but if you have something you want to discuss/debate then sure bring it up!

Alsooo I've found that waiting for B2/W2 rush of activity to pass isn't really helping anyone so I'm getting started on what I had planned! Firstly reviving the older discussions, that's going to happen now. I'm getting Audy to add an [Ongoing Discussion] prefix (whenever he gets the chance!), which means that said threads with that prefix will be allowed to be revived whenever from now until forever. I'll start reviving older ones week by week, but certain current threads (such as the Pokemon don't look like Pokemon) are going to have the prefix too so they won't die off instead of having to go back and revive them at the end of every month. Not every thread will get this special treatment, but rather specific threads which were active/had good potential and SO ON! The other stuff I had in mind can wait.

EDIT: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=253314 first of many, woo!! I'll make this a Monday, rather than a Tuesday thing. :)

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Double posting but this is important! Remember weekly polls? Imma bring them back now and change around the rules a little. Any Pokemon vs Pokemon weekly polls will no longer be able to be posted in (aka prefix removed!!), and rather the "new" ones will get this special thing, since the older ones will be a little irrelevant now. :(

Nevertheless, the new and exciting format will be wonderful - it's going to be tier-based. It's Pokemon vs Pokemon, from each tier (and if you aren't aware of tiers, Battle Center will explain it), which may even them up a little in terms of skills/power, and I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to make it an option to include from a competitive POV, but hopefully it'll also drive traffic to BC too. :x But for now it's definitely going to be tier based as I know I can do that. I'll be doing that... later? Maybe tomorrow perhaps, but for the start it'll be NU Pokemon vs NU Pokemon, then RU, then UU, then OU, then Ubers to finish it off. n______n As always, it'll only be Unova Pokemon, so yay!!! I'll try to switch up a few things too, like how Sawk and Throh are in the same tier, I'll try something else to swap them around with other Pokemon that are more closer to them (like Sawk vs Emboar, and Throh vs Gurdurr for example!) So yay look forward to that really soon.

Also I'll keep up the ongoing discussion thing, so guys please reply to them and not just the weekly polls when they happen. :3

Nakala Pri

I love this forum! Its really friendly and I love discussing everything. Already got three friends, and I'm a newbie! Rock on pokemon lovers! :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I love this forum! Its really friendly and I love discussing everything. Already got three friends, and I'm a newbie! Rock on pokemon lovers! :P

That's great! ...except this is about this section in particular and feedback on that. Since you're new I'm just letting you know, so next time just have a read through the first post or so, so that you know what the thread is about. :)

Years
Why haven't I posted here yet? I need to show my passion for B/W.

Well, I have to say the new competitive twist for the Weekly Polls really worked well, I loved how it now takes thought into the competitive strengths and weaknesses of the Pokemon being featured (and given Nica loves competitive battling, this sorta fits) and also the addition of the Ongoing Discussion really helped bring new life into old threads I once browsed. It's all part of a bid to show there is still hope in Black and White, especially given that Black 2 and White 2 have been out for a month now.

I have since been involving myself in these revamped parts of the forum and I have to say Nica, I'm proud you're bringing new life into the section.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So guys I'm skipping the weekly poll this week because I'd rather get feedback on how to improve them (plus everyone is into the new games right now so they might get less attention than they would normally).

1. How would you like to see the weekly polls improved?
2. What would make this forum more appealing to you?
3. What would make you more active here?
4. Any other ideas?
5. How can B/W still stand out with B2/W2 and the new generation around?

Discuss gogo.

Years
So guys I'm skipping the weekly poll this week because I'd rather get feedback on how to improve them (plus everyone is into the new games right now so they might get less attention than they would normally).

4. Any other ideas?

Discuss gogo.

1. I think the weekly polls are working quite well right now with the competitive feel about them. Unfortunately, I am bad with new ideas for questions, but you could always ask which is like cuter?
2. It would be more appealing if we keep up the "What is your team" and the travel logs. Maybe if the "waht is your team" was made a sticky, more people would look at it.
3. I'd be more ative if there was more involvement with the community. There are great threads on this forum that talk about interstting stuff, but maybe (like the polls) there needs to be somethingw ith a little bit of community attention (e.g bw tourneys/giveaways/contests)
4. A comm day like BC had would be interesting for bw
5. Well, things like bc stand because there is no timeline for it, it stands through every generation. Unfortunately, with bw it has its timeline. What I see a lot of in the past generation forums is like nostalgic stuff that maybe we could start to put in this thread. One thread in gen4 was about whether people would still play gen4. That seemed to get some good attention.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmmm so how would you guys feel if I made the weekly polls member-run each week? Like someone can choose a week, then they're responsible for making the poll that week. They'd have to follow the tiering theme and would have to go by me first but they could make the threads themselves with the weekly poll which would make it seem less like me just throwing a thread at you guys each week, and more of a community type thing? y/n.

Years
You know, I would actually support this move since it could bring a neat new twist to the Weekly Polls, I do my best to post in all of them and could help give this section more activity.

As a B/W regular, I think this may be a smart move after all and I might have to see what others think.

Years
4. Any other ideas?

1. I think it could be interesting if every month we had like a "triple battle scenario" or something, where it'd be a team versus a team. We could reuse pokemon that were already used, and then we could compare which team would be better based on teammates??
2. I love this forum, but a large part of why I've been posting less is because there are less posts being made, so there's less to discuss (hypocritical, I know, but that IS the reason) If we could boost the activity with some sort of event, that'd be great. SO to make it more appealing is just if there are more people posting :/ (which I know is the issue)
3. Basically Same answer as 2.
4. I think if we had more events or something similar, it'd be fun/ Maybe we could do a joint event with another forum?? (Like the art and design forum or maybe even B2W2?) And also if we could have a brainstorming discussion somehow (not on PC as posts take a while but on an irc or something) that could help?
5. BW definitely stands out from the other B2W2 and XY. BW was the first for everything! I don't really know how I'd say it could "stand out" but I'd say the same for any generation other than 6 really, as 6 is already standing out since it's new and shiny and unknown.

Hmmm so how would you guys feel if I made the weekly polls member-run each week? Like someone can choose a week, then they're responsible for making the poll that week. They'd have to follow the tiering theme and would have to go by me first but they could make the threads themselves with the weekly poll which would make it seem less like me just throwing a thread at you guys each week, and more of a community type thing? y/n.

Lazy Nica :]

Just kidding, but I actually think this is a really good idea! especially since Sophie pretty much did the last one lolol I think it'd be a lot of fun, and would promote member activity. Worth a shot at least!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

I think it is a great idea. It would make each time more unique as everyone would have a different style of doing it. Everyone would have different ideas as well. Some would so Pokémon, some items, some locations, etc.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I think the weekly polls are fine and they make some sense here, since one of the things that's distinctive about BW is that the Unova dex is entirely unique, so it's reasonable to highlight that by setting those pokemon against each other. And they're just sort of fun.

I think I like the idea of having members rotate through running the polls, just to get different slants on them. And that's one benefit of having a sort of small group of regulars - at least you can be pretty confident that nobody you pick to do it is going to do something that'll make you end up regretting letting them do it.

I haven't been as active here just lately (not like I've been here all that long anyway though), but that's mostly because I'm currently focusing on B2. When I finish that up though, I'm already planning on going back and playing more White (in the post-game, but still with a lot of stuff to do) and Black (saved at the base of Victory Road), and I'll undoubtedly be posting here more then.

The thing that's unique about this forum is simply that it's dedicated to Black and White, so the things that are distinctive are the things that are distinctive about those two games - Hilbert and Hilda, the dex, N's original story, Bianca and Cheren as fellow trainers, the original gyms, including Lenora and Brycen...

I can't think of any great ideas right off - I'd only note that the thing to keep in mind is that this board is specifically dedicated to Black and White, so anything that's pertinent to them should be available here. Try to envision someone who's playing Black or White, either for the first time or replaying them because they like them that much, and figure out what they'd like to see on a forum. That's what should be here.

Probably not much help... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back