• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your most favorite metagame?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
There are many to choose from (OU, UU, RU, NU, LC OU, Randbats, etc.), but which of them do you enjoy the most? Don't forget the older generations.

Sirfetch’d

Randbats ofc! The best n_n especially 1 vs 1 randbats which are good for a quick and easy battle.

Out of the tiers though UU for me.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
What is Randbats?
Randbats stands for Random Battle. The metagame consists of randomized teams. However, teams are ironically not entirely random; only "viable" moves are given to each Pokemon. As a result, players end up with better and more balanced movesets compared to the Pokemon given in CC (aka Challenge Cup), which gives out completely random movesets.

Years
I love Randbats cos it's the only one I'm skilled in right now, but I do plan on eventually learning all the tiers.

If I had to choose a tier, I'd say NU or OU.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Randbats are awesome but I like NU and OU. NU is a challenge while OU is a tier where you need to know how to counter other people's teams.

Stormborn

Indecisive
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
DPPt OU closely followed by BW UU.

Both offer a great amount of variety and creativity, the tiers themselves are balanced and best of all they're weather-free so it's not some Uber-clone.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Any non-Latias non-Outrage Salamence Gen4 metagame. Advance is great too but I haven't played it enough recently to speak to it much. There is playstyle and individual Pokemon diversity, and you can run so cool Pokemon like Nidoqueen and have decent results.

GarlandDaHero

Cute Noivern is Cute.
Years
It's either RU or OU. RU was the first tier I was generally good at on Pokemon Showdown, and I'm fairly formidable in OU.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
My prime time was during Gen IV OU and I never got back into it since then. Lately I've been entertaining the thought of going back into it with some friends who I know were seriously into the metagame at that time too. Maybe I'll try to pick things up again fresh with everyone else when the XY metagame comes out.

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
What is the best metagame of all time?

Here's mine
[Gen IV] DPPtHG OU (pre-Mence/Latias ban) - I admit this was close, this or post Mence-Lati ban. The latter is more balanced and less Dragon-centralized but I have too many memories of the former to pick the latter. As someone who voted in the Latias ban, I never felt it was broken nor was Mence. It was more people didn't want them to play against anymore rather then actually breaking the metagame imo (I mean Mence stayed in OU for all of DP and most of Platinum/HGSS even without checks like Scizor). So yeah this tops it out for me because it's fun, it was fairly balanced and weather was not the centralizing force it was.

Honourable Mentions
[Gen IV] DPPt UU - Wasn't the most balanced but neither was it unbalanced. I honestly remember enjoying it alot.

[Gen V] BW UU - One of the only good things to come out of Gen V. It's balanced and it's fun to play.

Last edited by a moderator:

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
Years
Only really got into three different metagames during my time of competitive pokemon. I found the community and people you played it with made it the most entertaining though.

GEN V LC
Very balanced metagame, with no changes or shifts in a long time. Plus you get to use cutemons =3. Very small community in comparison to the other metas, had alot of fun. Most of the regulars knew each other and could help play test and smooth out kinks etc. Also was the meta i participated most in forum wise. Only downside was that it grew a little stale, with no shifts and only a handful of powerful staples meant that there was not alot of diversity in teams, with three mons above 30% usage (for good reason though, they are great in the meta).

Others
GEN 4 OU
Ah the good days of exploding lead metagross. Found this to be very fun, a very different playstyle to Gen V.

Gen V NU
Great fun, get to use mons that you would most likely never try in the higher tiers, did not get stale with alot of different viable playstyles.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
UnderUsed is my favourite tier at the moment. There's no permanent weather (unless you count Hail, I guess, but good luck with that) to keep you down, it's a very offensively-oriented tier (think Victini, Heracross, Chandelure...), and I find it to be pretty balanced (Chandelure and Snorlax slightly tip this over, but aside from them, it's nice and varied).

Jomu

center of the stage
Years
  • Seen May 8, 2013
BW2 PU

Yeah, not an official tier, but this tier is definitely one of my faves. The potential of Pokemon who are usually considered outclassed in upper tiers have a chance to shine in this tier. Also fun gimmicks like physically defensive Golett or Wigglytuff can do some work in this tier :]

PU is the NU of NU btw, meaning everything in NU below #60 in the usage statistics.

My second favorite tier is BW2 NU. I have yet to try other NU tiers, but this is currently my favorite official tier. Nothing too overpowered (except Jynx maybe) and a really fun tier in short.

DPPt OU is third, BW2 RU is fourth, BW2 UU is fifth...

Years
Definitely Randbats closely followed by UU.

OU I tend to see the same teams too often so I prefer not to play it.

Ubers will always be fun as well, but I don't feel achievement in any battles I win in that tier.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
NU <3

It'll always be my gen 5 (only gen played!) home tier, which is a pretty awesome thing. It's the only tier where I know what basically everything does, how to deal with every big threat, how to prepare for teams, how to do well in the tier, etc. Everything else I have an understanding of but I've definitely done really well in NU, much better than I ever did in OU. Also I can beat Vrai in NU (which is good because considering when I started out I considered him like one of the greatest ever) and it's his tier too which makes it awesome!! Also I love the NU community too.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Randombattles are awesome but I love the rock-paper-sissor ness to CC 1 v 1. Theres that moment when you see what the opponent picked and you either know you're gonna win or lose

Back