• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheist Alliance

Years
Oddly enough, Pascal's Wager isn't one I ever heard when I was growing up and butting heads with people over religion. (I attribute this to it being a more philosophical argument, and philosophy requires a little more critical thinking than just telling someone they're wrong.) I did hear "Maybe you evolved from apes, but I didn't!" more than once though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I came to Pascal's Wager by thinking on my own, but after a while I decided it couldn't actually work. Because there's no "faking" belief in God, and if God was real he would totally know that you were just saying you believed in him and what was really in your heart. Also it doesn't address the fact that believing in God when God isn't real, if you're not 100% certain and content in your religion, hurts you in the long run in the one life you have, so it is harmful to believe in God at times. Aaaand it doesn't address the thousands of religions in existence. For all we know Greek gods are the real gods, and they prefer you be an atheist than worship a fake god or something. Who knows?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
Hey guys, I'm an atheist, too! I want to join this club.

I completely agree with Toujours on Pascal's Wager.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
If Pascal's wager is logical, it applies for anything, no? According to Pascal's wager, I should also practice Buddhism just in case the ultimate goal really is Nirvana, because if I don't, I might be reborn into a cricket or something. On the other hand, I should practice Islam just in case Allah banishes me to Jahannam if I don't! Pascal's wager doesn't really hold any water at all.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
^ Hense why it's easily overturned.

It's normally used by Christians, since Pascal was a Christian philospher. It's a last resort argument for believers when approached by non believers.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
^ Hense why it's easily overturned.

It's normally used by Christians, since Pascal was a Christian philospher. It's a last resort argument for believers when approached by non believers.

Hum, truth be told, I thought like that for a while (as in, believed in pascal's wager) but then I realized it's just really stupid. And I also think that if a christian uses that as a reason to believe, he's not really christian at all.... if you believe, it's because you believe God is real, not to be safe.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I got preached at today at uni by some guy from a union doing a survey :P Was lovely.

He seemed to think there was more evidence for Jesus living than there was Julius Caesar... It was pretty weird. He didn't like how I said his evidence was rubbish :X.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I got preached at today at uni by some guy from a union doing a survey :P Was lovely.

He seemed to think there was more evidence for Jesus living than there was Julius Caesar... It was pretty weird. He didn't like how I said his evidence was rubbish :X.
It's easy to deal with such people. Just quote Dr. House: "Oh, you're selling religion? I'm sorry, I bought some islam yesterday." They go away after than xD

Back