• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"May, We Harley Drew'd Ya!" Episode Discussion

Years
Here is where you can discuss part one of the Kanto Grand Festival three-parter and the return to Indigo Plateau in "May, We Harley Drew'd Ya!".

My review to come forthwith.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
My generic reaction to the episode:

O.O;;;

Seriously, this episode just gave a TON of things to add on to the "OH MY GOSH Harley's GAY!" case, but Max added a whole new level to it...I wouldn't be surprised if a new group of shippers pops up because of this o.0;...

...But seeing Jessie as a judge...doesn't seem right. Something WILL happen with that...soon......

Well, it was an interesting epsiode, but what else would one expect from a Grand Festival episode? And to see a girl that Brock already knew...that I'm guessing May'll lose to eventually...Oh, and Ash's future Aipom!

BTW, this isn't meant to be perverted or anything, but at one point I thought I heard May say to Drew "It didn't sound like something the Drew I've come to know and do"...uhh, I KNOW that's not what was really said, but still...Contestshipping connotation, anyone?? And the conversation about halfway through when the new rival (Solidad) mentioned that Drew had feelings for May...it's pretty much official--Contestshipping is now canon. I called it.

Last edited:

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
I loved it! I'm a contest fan as it is, but this one was one of the best. I liked seeing Drew's new pokemon, and meeting back up with Aipom. Vivians voice seemed kinda messed up though. On another note, who ever does May is getting a lot better. In several spots I thought she was the old May!

I didn't like Soladad's name. Its just...weird IMO. I like Saori better. All the contestshipping was awesome too. May and Drew really had lots of moments, such as the end. Learning about Drew's past was a nice touch, I hope we get some flash backs tomorrow, that would really help the ship. The Indigo Plateu (spelling?) didn't look anything like I remember it either, so that was a little annoying. Harley (Mayley) was hilarious IMO, I'm glad that part was in this episode. Over all, I loved it!

EDIT: Ichapokemr, you posted 1 minuite before me! I thought I was first xD

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yes, ContestShippig IS cannon now...
Thank you PUSA! ...(Even though I still dislike them for re-casting the VAs...)
I really liked that episode. x3 Even though it was better in Japanese...^^; Except for the shipping hints... x3

And Ichapokemr, May said 'It didn't sound like something the Drew I've come to know would do'. xD But its kinda like one of the recent episodes in the contests, where alot of people thought May said 'What the hell?' xD

That was an amusing conversation on Bulbagarden...

Anyhoo... Even though they just made ContestShipping cannon (*sqwee!*) I hate PUSA for what they did to Saori's name... 'Solidad'?...it sounds like a Pokemon! ...or an Arabic god, or something. (no offense to anyone.. >>))

...Or just a mexican name.... but she's not mexican! ><;; *dies* ...its also the spanish word for 'Alone' ...
She's such an awesome character and and and...the NAME... x_x
I'm gonna go cry...

Years
I have mixed feelings of this episode as it regards to Drew. As we know, we now have a character: Saori (Serebii.net dubbed as Samantha) giving what we know as the "backstory" to Drew, one of the most enigmatic rivals in terms of having "a past". One of my main issues of the episode is Saori in that of if she and Drew have interacted so much in the past in the Contests (particularly the ones Drew competed in), why haven't we seen her at the very least in the background? Of course, there have been many instances of having a brand new character just elaborate the backstory of another, but with the anime's spacing for continuity (they are capable of it), surely they could have introduced the character earlier on during BF as Drew popped up quite a bit.

That and the fact she has Kaede's facial design irks me a tad. Ah, well. Still, she was a nice character. The other issue I have with the episode is the lack of continuity as opposed to the first Grand Festival: indicted by lthe ack of BF Co-ordinators or even references. Since the first GF was so marvelous in terms of the continuity, it's quite an omission, but the little things and Drew's backstory throughout the whole episode compensate nicely.

Harley making his usual splash with delicious crossdressing (the road we all thought he'd take eventually and just as well as they retired that with James) with his humorous mocking of May. And it's nice hearing Dr. Yung's VA maintaining that homosexual wackiness, complete the revelation of his hometown being Slateport City. On top of that, we see the return of the wacky Aipom, a movie reference with Drew's LaRousse City name drop, the return of Vivian in a more useful role than her vapid announcer role, Jessie's absurdity (with her form of dress, which the reference escapes me), Indigo's overhaul, and we're even treated with Caroline's new voice (which deserves a separate heading).

Caroline sounded rather...young, didn't she? It would have been easier if she and Solidad's VA had swapped voices. And Drew's voice actor still sounds like he has a permanent cold.

Still, good plot progression, nice dialogue, and overall good set-up. Just the overall themes with the previous Grand Festival intro, and you'd think they're completely different episodes. In fact, they are.

For the episode: 8/10.

For the themes: 6/10. Gotcha watch that wacky continuity.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
I love this episode. Well I don't actually love it but it made a referrence to the Indigo Competition with Ash that happen a so long time ago!!! I don't believe they actually mention it. That made me so happy that they actually cared to mention it. Also was it just me or did they they gave us a shot of the stedium where Ash fought in his first competition.

I don't like the dub title for this one. Drew part ruin the title.

It was nice to see some of Brock's history. It seems as if hew as getting turned down by girls even before his journeies with Ash. Teeheehee. So cute.

Jessie. That is so dorky looking!!!! I mean the pigtails and the glasses!!! That is so not like her!!! Still she looks adorable!!!

Well Harley. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!

Okies. Harley did a good job on mimicing May. With the voice and the lines. Still it is when May and Harley come face to face while Combustken is eating. Her face. His face. Combustken's face!!!! That was just funny. Seeing Combustken staring at Harley dress up as it trainers. Teeheehee

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
Alright, in order...

EDIT: Ichapokemr, you posted 1 minuite before me! I thought I was first xD

Yes, as it will always be from now on...YOU SHALL NEVER BEAT ME TO THE FIRST POSITION EVER AGAIN!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drew said:
I really liked that episode. x3 Even though it was better in Japanese...^^; Except for the shipping hints... x3

And Ichapokemr, May said 'It didn't sound like something the Drew I've come to know would do'. xD But its kinda like one of the recent episodes in the contests, where alot of people thought May said 'What the hell?' xD

Yeah, yeah, I know that's what she really said (I watched it again to make sure), but that's still how it sounded in the first place.

And I'm happy that my realization made your day.

Dark Charaxes, who's Caroline?

SugarKitty23

No.1 Drew/Shuu Fan!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 16, 2008
omg, this episode sounds amazing! Unfortunately I live in england, but I can't wait til it is available for download, but now it isn't :(

SOLIDAD???? my real name is Samantha and i thought that is what Saori's dub name is going to be. they CHANGE the ORIGINAL names so that they are AMERICAN names. they might as well have kept Saori, instead of changing it to a complicated, unfitting name like that, grr.

anyway, just wnated to say that it sounds great

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
Alright, in order...
Yes, as it will always be from now on...YOU SHALL NEVER BEAT ME TO THE FIRST POSITION EVER AGAIN!!!! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who's Caroline?

Hah! I'll beat you tomorrow!

Caroline is May's mom. You know, the one she was talking to before Aipom started stealing hats.

Drew said:

xD! That was my reply to the episode too. The end was especially contestshippy, when she says "Oh Drew". But I would have liked that part waay better if they had the original VA's

Years
I never said about this "Contestshipping" relevation and I'll assume it's canon as the other hints prior to this were more or less the same in the Japanese version. I'll venture a question at which I'm sure you'll hoot: do you think PUSA is plying their hand at contest shipping like the way 4Kids did with Ash/Misty? I don't honestly care either way, but I thought it would be interesting to mull over until we get the episode comparison from Dogasu.

Silly shippers. Heh. Actually, I was more surprised by Max calling out Harley's "love" as it would explain at least some of the bizarre vendetta in an equally bizarre love/hate relationship, although obsession would be a better estimate. Of course, such a pairing would be funny: the age difference? Hmm...

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
You mean today? No, you didn't...

Dark Charaxes, let's not go there...in EITHER case...

No, I meant tomorrow. I didn't get home from karate until 8:15 today, so I had to watch "Thinning the Hoard" on my computer, so it took me longer.

Well, me being an avid Contestshipper, I loved how they added all those hints in. I hope PUSA is doing another trick like they did Ash/Misty, it would make great Chronicle episodes.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
That was confusing when they did the shipping like that. Also in annoying because it take away from the purity when they add love that isn't mention in the original.

OO! That is just weird. I would like to keep the shipping to boy and girl please!!! EEEWWW!!!!

Years
That was confusing when they did the shipping like that. Also in annoying because it take away from the purity when they add love that isn't mention in the original.

OO! That is just weird. I would like to keep the shipping to boy and girl please!!! EEEWWW!!!!

Cackles in delight. Actually, that would be funny personal irony as my fiction has been steered toward such age difference pairings (but not in a squicky way). Anyway...

You're going "Ewww" over that? I would rather be creeped out by the fact he's dressing as her. It's almost a case of Single White Female. Hahah.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Prince Gryph said:
xD! That was my reply to the episode too. The end was especially contestshippy, when she says "Oh Drew". But I would have liked that part waay better if they had the original VA's

Omigod, I know, I loved them for leaving that in there...4Kids use to cut dramatic things like that out... and PUSA has let her say it TWICE now...
Huzzah for drama.

and Dark Charaxes mentioned Harley's age difference to May...
Yeah, I agree, theres no way it could be 'love', mainly because Harley hates her, and she's like...10... He's way too old for her. >> Thats a little something I liked to call Craddle-robbing.. >>

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
Cackles in delight. Actually, that would be funny personal irony as my fiction has been steered toward such age difference pairings (but not in a squicky way). Anyway...

You're going "Ewww" over that? I would rather be creeped out by the fact he's dressing as her. It's almost a case of Single White Female. Hahah.

I don't think it was that bad. I mean it was bad when Harley was over May like that but I found it entertaining see Combustken staring at him. Teeheehee

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
Years
It's not canon if the dub makes it so. That's like saying Misty loves Ash just because of the song from the 2.B.A. Master soundtrack.

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2009
It's not canon if the dub makes it so. That's like saying Misty loves Ash just because of the song from the 2.B.A. Master soundtrack.

Mute the dub and the same conclusion still comes up from their expressions. Last I checked, the animations don't get changed from raw to dub, so...

Years
Thats a little something I liked to call Craddle-robbing.. >>

Actually, I think that would be legally called "statutory rape". Although, would the laws of the Pokemon world have that? Because you can cradle rob and it can be legal depending on that wacky age of consent. Of course, I remember Sailor Moon and how Usagi wanted to be with Mamoru, but couldn't just yet, because of the mildly wide (but not much, considering) age difference. This is fun. Heh.

Elite Trainer Raven

Better than you.
Years
Mute the dub and the same conclusion still comes up from their expressions. Last I checked, the animations don't get changed from raw to dub, so...
You mean just like how everyone assumes that just because certain characters look at one another obviously means they're in love? :)

Back