• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Best G/S/C Moment!

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Completing my Pokedex for the first time in Gold was pretty exciting. That was the first Pokedex I ever completed, and it took a lot of effort to get there (including playing through an entire Yellow version file just to get Omanyte), so I was pretty psyched.

I also recall training each member of my team to level 100, and somewhere along the way, making each of them beat the Elite Four independently with no items. My team was pretty bad, so it was actually a decent accomplishment. Of course, I didn't finish up with my last team member until right before my game's battery died, so I was pretty sad knowing that I only had a short time left with my Pokémon (I had already gotten the "Time Not Set" message/had clock problems by that point).

Other random memories:
-Clearing out Team Rocket and getting through the sliding ice puzzles between the seventh and eighth gyms. I mainly have fond memories of that because it's one of the last times I can recall playing Pokémon with a reasonably large group of people (in this case, at a New Year's party).

-Beating Red for the first time. I actually turned off my game before beating him the first time around because it ended up being far easier than I had expected it to be, and I wasn't really ready to have fully "beaten" the game yet.

-And as a final memory, I recall the first two times I played Gold. I recall starting up the game, picking Totodile, and venturing along the road to Mr. Pokémon's house. I started my game in the evening and captured a Hoothoot (the second member of my permanent team), and then saved and went to bed. When I turned on my game around lunchtime the next day (I had time to play then because I left school for a couple of hours for a dentist appointment), I was amazed that it was actually daytime in the game. For whatever reason, I didn't expect time to actually progress in the game--I thought the clock would just pick up from where I had saved. Even though it's a fairly insignificant event in the grand scheme of things, the wonder and excitement of starting Gold, which became my favorite Pokémon game of all time, sticks with me to this day.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Best moment had to be facing Red, hands down. Standing upon that snowy mountain to find someone they gave no hints of whatsoever, the fact that he exchanges no words with you...it's amazing.

My only wish after battling him was the opportunity to do it again. Seriously one of the most epic events in any Pokemon game ever.

Years
Not knowing that I could go to Kanto and then going to Kanto. It blew my mind as a kid and set me up for such a huge disappointment when I found out that Ruby only had Hoenn and nothing else.

Years
I think it's when you encounter Red for the very first time on Mt. Silver. It's so unexpected when you very first play the game, he simply says his trademark "... ..." and suddenly you're not only launched into battle, but you're launched into a battle with Lv80-70 Pokémon, with the sinister Champion theme!

Also when you first step into Kanto and check your Town Map. That was a pleasant feeling :)

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
Pokemon Crystal, all 16 badges in my case, and marching up to the top of Mount Silver. Fighting Red felt like fighting a past version of myself the first time I did it. Didn't win the first time, but it was pretty close. None of the battles I've engaged in since have felt so intense, even in DPP when Cyrus was trying to destroy the universe.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
For me, it was a personal one. I rented Pokemon Crystal at Blockbuster (RIP) when I was 7. Little did I know, this version could not save files!

So I did everything to preserve my save file. I stayed up till 1 AM with my Game Boy in the charger the whole time. I had made it to Whitney (at that time, an accomplishment) with just a Croconaw.

Fast forward a few years later when I finally got a real copy of Crystal for Christmas. I remember training for two weeks after finishing the 16 gyms to beat Red. The Red battle was tough, I was down to just a Feraligatr with 20 HP, having no Revives because I had lost so much money from losing to Red.

It sucks to know my old save file is gone. I also can't play any of physical copies of Pokemon around my brother because he will make fun of me for it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 25, 2014
I'd have to say either winning the lottery or catching my first vukpix. I've always had a fondness for foxes.

Years
A lot of great moments here - it's making me nostalgic :') I'd have to say the fondest memory I have of Pokemon Gold was taking part in the bug contests ! I know quite simple, but I the bug contests in National Park at night time seem to stick out in my memory most. I got so competitive xD

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
My best moment has to be catching Pokerus for the first time.

I remember i was training against wild Pokemon on Mount Silver, then when i went to the Poke Center i was mashing A as usual so i wasn't really paying attention to what the nurse was saying, but i thought she said more than she usually does. I thought i must have imagined it. Then i got the call from Elm and i didn't know what the hell was going on. My Pokemon is infected? What? o.O The following day i thought i must have dreamt it, because i couldn't find any proof that it had actually happened haha. It wasn't until much later that i found out it was a real thing, and discovered what it does.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
Winning the Bug Catching Contest with a shiny Venonat. For the record, shininess doesn't add anything to your score.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
So far, no feeling has compared to the satisfaction I felt when I first caught one of the roaming legendary Pokemon. My palms were sweating so hard as that ball was shaking, and when it stopped shaking and clicked I almost shouted or joy.

That was so satisfying, and was definitely the highlight of the game for me. Also memorable was catching both of them and then being allowed to go to the Bell Tower to catch Ho-oh.

TheGuitahHeroe

i make songs with a computer
Years
I will always remember Gen II as being the first generation where you could play as a female character...That and discovering you could go to Kanto after you got the 8th badge :)

Years
Defeating the Elite Four, over, and over again. I was ten years old, this was amazing for me. And just the overall nostalgic feeling I have every single time that I start the game up.​

theoblivinator

1337 Poisons
Years
  • Age 33
  • Iowa
  • Seen Apr 30, 2022
Encountering a roaming legendary for the first time really gave me a jump. I mean it was completely out of the blue and frankly scared me as a little kid. I had no idea what was going on when Entei suddenly appears at level 40 and I was like level 20-24ish. When he fled I was very confused though and didn't know what it meant until a buddy of mine explained how the roaming trio worked.

Also the realizing that once you finished off the Elite Four and the credits rolled you had to go to Kanto and battle all the original gym leaders, basically giving you an entire game to play through again was pretty awesome. It really didn't dawn on me that this game was really big for a handheld back in the day, especially for elementary school kids like myself.

Years
I captured Raikou with a pokeball after the event triggered, first throw then...Raikou was caught!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 6, 2017
Going to Kanto for the first time. It blew my mind when I heard the familiar tunes of that old place!
Well, that, and fighting Red. Amazing stuff!

purplekirby54

Dat Kooby
Years
Fondest old moment? Or fondest new moment?

As for old moments, I would have to say finding two shinies (in two different locations) in the same day. Oh, Drowzee, Tentacool, how fun.

Newer moments, a good team wipe with Nope, the Magneton.
Since I'm new here, a bit of backstory.
I have had Pokemon R/B/Y, G/S/C for quite a long time now, and loved the games growing up and even today. Nowadays, I've put myself to the challenge of beating Pokemon Stadium 2, which i'm almost done with, except Round2 Poke Cup is hard as all getout.

Anyway.

Nope is by no means a sweeper. Sure, he stalls with the best of them, with his moveset of Reflect, Doubleteam, Mimic and Thunderbolt. But today was a bit different.

I was fighting in the Master Ball level of Round 2's pokecup this afternoon, the fifth round if I recall.
They sent out a Girafarig, I lead with Nope.

I started stacking up Double Teams, they did the same. About the fourth double team in, they used agility, then Baton Pass. I have 6+ Evasion under my belt now, they have 4+ evasion, with 2+ speed.

They switch over to Arcanine, thinking it would destroy poor old Nope.
Nope starts using thunderbolt to deal out some damage and miss almost every shot, they use fire blast once, Nope. twice, Nope, nope. Three times, Nope, nope, nope. They miss every shot.
Nope uses mimic on their fourth fire blast. He misses.
Nope thunderbolts again on their last fire blast, it hits them and paralyzes them.
One more thunderbolt hits them, they're in the red now. They use dig. Nope puts up reflect. They hit him, it does barely anything. Leftovers heals a little bit.

To be funny, I use fire blast. It hits and makes them faint.

Back to Girafarig.
They set up once with double team, I thunderbolt.
Another double team, another thunderbolt.
Faint.

At this point, they pull out a Scizor who thinks they're pretty hot stuff. Steel against steel, this could work.
Did I mention I hadn't used up all those fire blasts yet?

One fire blast.
Critical hit.

Victory.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Although I still consider the second generation games to be my all-time favourites, and although my Silver (which is gone now, unfortunately :( ) is probably the game with the most hours on the record, I honestly don't have an awful lot of moments that I actually remember. I reckon the biggest culprit of that is probably due to how I was relatively young during all the years in which I played it, so only the really special, fond and annoying memories have really stuck with me. For instance, I remember like every part of the game in which I was majorly stuck, and spent a long time trying to search for the way forward/out of whatever I got myself into, with the main one being figuring out how the heck I woke that gosh darn Snorlax up. It's hard to figure this stuff out when you're only just learning how to read properly in your own language :(

But yeah, back on track. My fondest memory is without a doubt the moment in which I finally found Lugia after a long-winded search. Already explained this story countless times, but basically after watching a battle between my brother and one of his friends, in which his friend used a Lugia and totally wrecked my brother's otherwise relatively powerful team, I decided to finally go out and search after Lugia. And I don't know if others had as hard a time as me, because I honestly don't remember if its location was mentioned at any point in the games (even if it was, I wouldn't have understood it :p), but I reckon that wouldn't have been the easiest task for me today either. I mean what is up with Ho-oh being located within a town in the game, in a huge-ass tower with people being all like "nope lemme see yo rainbow feather plox" if you try to enter it before you've obtained the Rainbow Feather, making it obvious that something of significance is in there, while Lugia is out in the middle of nowhere within a maze of caves, with the possibility that you could've gone out there before obtaining the Silver Feather, and having no clue that that'd be where Lugia could be found. But then again, they might've said it in-game, in which case I'm over exaggerating a bit. But still!

Anyways, back to the story. I finally found Lugia, and it turned out to be incredible. I kept it around for the rest of the time I owned Silver by trading it to a friend, starting the game over, and then trading it back whenever I'd make a new game, because I'd honestly grown so attached to it. That's also why Lugia is one of my favourite Pokemon, as well as my favourite legendary :p

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
I never got to encounter the roamies, encounter the birds (g/s birds), and I have only encountered kanto legendaries in crystal. So my favorite part was having Suicune who battled me at level 49 take out half of reds team itself including his pikachu. It took two surfs to faint Pikachu and 3 of his thunders to faint my Suicune. It took a few battles but I ended up winning and crushing red with my Suicune

Back