• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disney: ~A Whole New World of films~

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Must admit, I'm not expecting great things from the Disney Star Wars either. Not because of Disney's track record or anything (I don't know enough about them for that!), but mostly due to the Star Wars franchise not needing another addition. Plus I don't think it's the kind of saga that'll fair well from having such a big change in production halfway through and so long after the last movies. But I'll give them a chance since I absolutely love Star Wars and from what I've heard Disney are pretty great at keeping things nostalgic (although is that the feeling Star Wars should give? Hmm), so hopefully it'll be good.

Although @LilJz1234 Monsters University is something I'm definitely looking forward to <3

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Must admit, I'm not expecting great things from the Disney Star Wars either. Not because of Disney's track record or anything (I don't know enough about them for that!), but mostly due to the Star Wars franchise not needing another addition. Plus I don't think it's the kind of saga that'll fair well from having such a big change in production halfway through and so long after the last movies. But I'll give them a chance since I absolutely love Star Wars and from what I've heard Disney are pretty great at keeping things nostalgic (although is that the feeling Star Wars should give? Hmm), so hopefully it'll be good.

Although @LilJz1234 Monsters University is something I'm definitely looking forward to <3
Lucas (until fairly recently, where he seems to have gotten bored with the series) always said that he envisioned 9-12 films and had a very rough high-level treatment/outline done before the first movie was ever complete. This new film is based on Lucas' original story. So, I think we're safe. And in some fresh blood and I'm hoping for the best. Lucas was his own worst enemy with the prequels.

And Disney really respects that franchise. You should check out their Star Wars ride at their parks if you've never seen it before.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Disney is the example of an overachiever. The movies they make, their theme parks, and most of their head first charges turn out great! Then they go to add to them to "enhance" them and turn out killing them. IE: Star Wars

Walt Disney himself embraces enhancements, because he knew he made some mistakes from his previous projects. As long as there's imagination, it will never be complete.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Walt Disney himself embraces enhancements, because he knew he made some mistakes from his previous projects. As long as there's imagination, it will never be complete.
Just about every animated film Walt presided over was a technical achievement.

First animated short with synchronized sound. First animated short in Technicolor. First feature-length animated film. The invention and use of the multi-plane camera. First use of stereo sound in a film. Super widescreen presentation. Surround sound.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
And I see Pixar as Disney because they own them. But not true Disney as they are different studios. But... The Nightmare Before Christmas and Roger Rabbit weren't under Disney banners initially either.

True, but it still gives a lot of false impressions of what Disney has actually done. Most of the movies people talk about loving a lot here are technically Pixar films, which didn't exactly need Disney to begin with. The line starts to get blurred, I feel, and it turns into an "all animation is Dinsey" sort of thing.

Basically, do younger generations really like Disney, or do they think they like Disney? See what I mean? At least with Nightmare Before Christmas, despite Skellington Productions being sold off to Disney really early, people realize it's not actually part of the Disney canon. Same with WFRR. Actually, we're on a Pokemon site. I think everyone here's smart enough to know Nintendo has little to do with major decisions about the Pokemon franchise. Game Freak is a 2nd party developer, and they more of less have all the say in how they'll run their franchise. If some guy joined up here and he kept saying "I love how Nintendo made Pokemon" or "I think Nintendo shouldn't made Remoraid evolve into an octopus", he'd get corrected left and right.

I guess the problem lies in the fact that every commercial now labels everything as "Disney and Pixar's..." which gives top billing to Disney (but even then still acknowledges Pixar as its own entity), and then the fact that Disney, save for Princess and the Frog, Winnie the Pooh, and even Tangled (the obvious Disney princess thing) seems to be absolutely indistinguishable from Pixar to the general/common audience. And I've seen it from both sides. People who are usually more savvy sometimes confuse Wreck-it-Ralph as a Pixar film. I dunno if we want the line to be this blurry, though. It's not like DisneyToon Studios, a branch of Disney that started with Disney. Pixar is owned by Disney, but Pixar isn't Disney, just like Lucas Arts isn't Disney, either.

I would be okay with Pixar sticking to doing only 3D, and Disney just doing traditional 2D only if they really, really decided to make their studios one in the same. That way, Diz wouldn't be so concerned with making that 3D film dollar, because their Pixar studio would handle it from there. However, would forcing Pixar to be a division of Disney hurt Pixar in the long run? That's something to consider, and honestly I'm not sure yet. I still need to see what Disney themselves are capable with in their 3D films, as most of them have been either hit or miss (or by the numbers and predictable).

If nothing else, if Disney went back to and stuck to 2D starting now, Pixar stayed 3D and they both were still separate studios like they are now, there might be less confusion as to who really gets the credit for what. Then again, I doubt people are really all that concerned about what's a part of the Disney canon.

Last edited:

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
If you guys are worried about the upcoming Star Wars movie, maybe this will cheer you up.

Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are all coming back to take back their roles as Luke, Han and Leia, since the story will be taking in the future after the events of the last movie.

So Disney looks like they know what they're doing, am I right or wrong? And the Prince of Persia movie was actually really good and it came from Disney.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
I'm 90% certain Disney had nothing to do with the Star Wars decisions. Which is kind of the point I keep making. But on the other hand, what you said may be of reassurance to others nevertheless, so I guess it's good news either way.

Good news in the sense that people won't blame Disney for Lucas Arts disasters, anyway.

As for Prince of Persia, I'm unfamliar, but I do think that is a Disney film. Never really researched the live action side of Disney save for what studios were underneath them. I think I heard good things about Prince of Persia, but eh, I wanted to be an animator, not an actor. :P

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
There are a whole litany of issues relating to The Walt Disney Company as a corporate entity but, in the interest of space and NOT boring people to death, I'll just talk about my fondness for the animated canon. (Although DisneyWar is a very good book to read about the corporate shenanigans of the Michael Eisner era; read it if you want to understand the Family Guy jokes about the man!)

My favourite Disney features are the older ones: your Pinocchios, your Dumbos and the like. It's probably partly due to nostalgia but there is some great animation and storytelling in those oldies, and many moments in them (the dancing elephants, the whale etc) have stayed with me ever since childhood, so that's certainly saying something. The ones made after Walt's death were slightly more hit-and-miss, but I do have a nostalgic fondness for Robin Hood. I haven't watched it in at least 10 years, so it might just be nostalgia on that point, but I definitely loved it when I was about 9-years-old. As for the Renaissance of the '90s, I like but don't love most of them. The songs are, justifiably lauded, but I can't really remember what happens in a lot of them, which is a shame, certainly. And nowadays we're back to the hit-and-miss period of the 70s/80s: Wreck-it-Ralph was awesome, but I have no real affection for many of the others. Hopefully the influence of John Lasseter will help steer the ship right and make more WIRs and fewer Chicken Littles.

Back