• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
As long as you enjoy playing it I don't think there's an age that you're 'too old' for Pokémon. Sure you probably shouldn't play it as much when you start to get the responsibilities of having a family/job that need time dedicated to them but I don't think there's ever an age that you should just stop playing. My school never had a negative view on people that played Pokémon (I played it openly and no-one even commented, this was at 16/17) so I haven't experienced the same as most people here seem to have gone through, but for me there's no age to stop playing unless you simply get bored of it.

Years
I'm turning 21 next month and I still plan to keep playing Pokemon games given how excited for X and Y I am. Heck we have loads of members here aged in their 20's so yeah you can never be too old for Pokemon, even if people in real life mock me for playing Pokemon.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
There is no such thing as 'too old' for Pokemon, period. I foresee myself still a fan of Pokemon till the end of my days. Imagine an elderly woman sitting in a rocking chair by the window or resting in bed with a DS in her hands. Yeah, that's probably gonna be me.

Years
Hey I started playing Pokemon games when I was 13 till 15/16 I stopped playing the games but now that I'm 26 I still play the games only on my laptop since I don't own any game console anymore so I'm never too old to be into Pokemon games/anime/trading cards/discussion/movies etc.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
There is no such thing as 'too old' for Pokemon, period. I foresee myself still a fan of Pokemon till the end of my days. Imagine an elderly woman sitting in a rocking chair by the window or resting in bed with a DS in her hands. Yeah, that's probably gonna be me.
I hope you will take a picture of that and post it in the equivalent of this thread in that future. That would be, like, "faith in pokémon fandom restored".

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
There's no "boundary" for me in Pokemon. I'm almost 23 and I don't care if people say I'm too old to play Pokemon. They don't understand how much of an emotional bond I have with the franchise, and the fandom in general. I have a 5 year old niece who is liking Pokemon and it's all because of me, I want my future nieces and if all possible my future children to play Pokemon like I've done so. Hah, I even imagine myself at 45 years old still playing Pokemon and not giving a dayum. :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not too sure about other people, but for me, I could play Pokémon as long as I am alive. I would never be too old for it. I've been a fan of Pokémon since I was only five, and still am one. Hopefully, nothing will ever be able to change that. Some kids may poke fun at you for being a Pokémon fan, but they do it only because of their immaturity. And it wouldn't be a wise choice to let things like this change your perspectives on Pokémon, or anything else that you enjoy.

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I don't really see any kind of "too old" coming for me considering I'm not as old as many members in this forum. I suppose I'd be into Pokémon like, forever. I do hope tomorrow doesn't change my mind, that would suck.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I recall other people first complaining about Pokémon being "uncool" around fourth grade or so. That may have been related more to the fact that we were starting to move past the peak of the Pokémon craze, though, rather than that we were "too old" for Pokémon.

When I was younger, I used to think that I would eventually outgrow Pokémon. Over the years, though, I've realized that I probably won't outgrow it after all, and that there's nothing wrong with continuing to enjoy the franchise for years to come. If I enjoy playing the games in my spare time, and doing so doesn't harm others or myself, why shouldn't I play them?

It's also important to remember that Pokémon can be enjoyed on different levels. Stumbling through Red with just my Blastoise and its almost entirely water moveset (I think it had something like Hydro Pump, Surf, Water Gun, and Bite) provided a very different experience than carefully breeding and EV training teams does now.

Interestingly, I've found a lot more Pokémon fans in college than I ever found in middle and high school. Even if the general attitude is "Pokémon is for kids," there are probably a lot more closet adult Pokémon players than you would expect.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 10, 2015
You're never to old for something you love!
I've graduated and am nearly 23!
And I still am hooked!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
People still say that? I thought everyone quit that back in like 2006 or so. It must be a high school thing, because I never hear college age or older young adults say stuff like that. In fact, it's just a part of casual conversation sometimes.

I'd find it stranger still if the younger generation (lol) still teased about stuff like this. It's like, aren't cartoons and video games more accepted among aging youth these days then they were back in, say the 80's? This isn't exactly the period where people want to grow up to become steel workers.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
Years
I don't think it ever gets "too old". In fact, it's kind of funny, but people in college appreciate it more than those in middle school.

Back when I was in school, Pokemon had it's huge popularity rush back when I was in fifth grade. Then in sixth grade all of the sudden it became uncool and people got made fun of for it. After that, nobody really mentioned it. In college, people talked about it again, and I even remember a kid playing Pokemon in one of my classes. lol

Years
You really shouldn't feel bad for liking something. I wasn't really mocked about liking something and people calling it childish.

But don't worry middle school is almost always awful. Kids are just awful at around that age and try to mock other( or just bully them) for fame/social status which will fade away in High school and more so in life.

But in the end remember: Do what you do, like what you like. No one can and should make you feel left out/bad because you like something then don't or find wierd.

Mia Mew

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* \(◕ω◕✿)/ *:・゚✧*:・゚
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
It kinda went in a cycle for me. When I was about 12/13, people started making fun of me and the other Pokemon players, but when I reached my current age of 16, they stopped caring! Don't worry, Youngster Timmy. You're just at a bad age right now and hopefully the people around you should start to straighten up and stop being a-holes. <3

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
Years
The only time I was ever deemed too old oddly enough was in 3rd-4th grade largely because Yu-Gi-Oh! was at its prime back then...where it subsequently died a year and a half later. On the larger scale of things for me it's more like...

?-11: "HOLY CRAP POKEMON!"
12-16: "Wait, so you still play Pokemon? What?"
17-now: "HOLY CRAP POKEMON!"

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
Honestly, the older you get, the more acceptable it is to like Pokemon, in my opinion.

Because with older people, it's not "for babies", but a "bro that's my childhood" kind of thing.

Back